Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 502 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
kat_ebbs

• Victor
    Topics:

Looks like Chastain and Shannon are massively campaigning
    I might have to rethink them at SAG

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

Victor
    Topics:

And looks like it’s a hit again

Ratings: The White Lotus Hits Series High With Season 2, Episode 5

Please! These gays, they're trying to murder me!

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

With delayed playback, the first episode of Season 2 is currently tracking at 9.5 million viewers (across all platforms), besting the Season 1 average of 9.3 million viewers per episode.

Jays
    Topics:

Strange of you to call a show you seem to be predicting for limited series and actress Golden Globe nominations (as recently as last week) a sneak.

With the new added membership, The Globes will likely throw a few curveballs this year and I think The English could be a benefactor of that. However, lumping it with shows like The White Lotus, Dahmer and Black Bird is pretty absurd when it’s just no where near as popular or big as those shows are or have been.

If anything, I’d say it’s way more in line with The Patient.

Aziz Sliti
    Topics:

With the new added membership, The Globes will likely throw a few curveballs this year and I think The English could be a benefactor of that. However, lumping it with shows like The White Lotus, Dahmer and Black Bird is pretty absurd when it’s just no where near as popular or big as those shows are or have been. If anything, I’d say it’s way more in line with The Patient.

The English is way more popular and bigger than the patient ( I liked both btw)

wolfali
    Topics:

With the new added membership, The Globes will likely throw a few curveballs this year and I think The English could be a benefactor of that. However, lumping it with shows like The White Lotus, Dahmer and Black Bird is pretty absurd when it’s just no where near as popular or big as those shows are or have been. If anything, I’d say it’s way more in line with The Patient.

I wasn’t lumping The English‘s audience popularity (although it has done quite well on Amazon’s own streaming charts) with The White Lotus‘ or Dahmer‘s or Black Bird‘s but more grouping all four of them and The Patient together as they’re the only shows that have fully aired/released seasons that people seems to be considering as a part of the race (at least if we’re going to by the predictions centre odds). I mean after all Maid was a far more popular show than both Dopesick and The Dropout and it ended up not even getting nominated for limited series whilst they both won lead acting Emmys.

For an Amazon Prime Western with a woman and a Native American man as its leads I don’t think it’s absurd to say that The English has been doing quite well for itself. On IMDB (a site in which a show like it isn’t really favoured well historically for each of those aforementioned reasons) it has already racked up almost 10k votes and been in the top 20 on their most searched shows chart (even getting into the top 10 last week) all in spite of not even being out for even a month yet and not being a show with a built in audience like The White Lotus or any of the numerous true crime series that have come out this year. It has had more longevity on Amazon’s streaming charts in the US than some of their biggest tentpoles this year and has appeared multiple times as a part of trending TV topics on numerous online search engines. Is it some massive global phenomenon like The White Lotus season 2 or a Netflix true crime series like Dahmer? Of course not. But it doesn’t mean it isn’t generating buzz or that it’s a stretch to call it a contender along with each of those other four shows at this stage of the race (in fact seeing that it’s one of only three SAG eligible limited series that have had multiple screenings for committee members, Black Bird and The Dropout, it’s probably a stretch to say it isn’t in the conversation).

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

This would be my read currently:

Most realistic:

Dahmer

The White Lotus

Black Bird

The Patient

The English

Five Days at Memorial

Possible:

A Friend of The Family

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ms Marvel (particularly at CCA)

From Scratch

wolfali
    Topics:

This would be my read currently: Most realistic: Dahmer The White Lotus

When you say your read may I ask what your read is of particularly? I feel like The White Lotus is much bigger than Dahmer both in terms of audience and industry popularity and buzz as well as an awards contender (and is obviously much bigger on a critical level).

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

hopelesstar
    Topics:

In terms of popularity and buzz Dahmer is much much bigger tho. Its ratings are far superior than TWL’s.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

When you say your read may I ask what your read is of particularly? I feel like The White Lotus is much bigger than Dahmer both in terms of audience and industry popularity and buzz as well as an awards contender (and is obviously much bigger on a critical level).

My read is that those shows have a combo of viewership/critical response/user response/talent attached to be considered contenders (for instance, Dahmer’s reviews are terrible but the huge viewership response offsets it). Five Days at Memorial and The Patient aren’t terribly well seen but they’re not disastrous and the talent involved is solid.

Jays
    Topics:

I wasn’t lumping The English‘s audience popularity (although it has done quite well on Amazon’s own streaming charts) with The White Lotus‘ or Dahmer‘s or Black Bird‘s but more grouping all four of them and The Patient together as they’re the only shows that have fully aired/released seasons that people seems to be considering as a part of the race (at least if we’re going to by the predictions centre odds). I mean after all Maid was a far more popular show than both Dopesick and The Dropout and it ended up not even getting nominated for limited series whilst they both won lead acting Emmys. For an Amazon Prime Western with a woman and a Native American man as its leads I don’t think it’s absurd to say that The English has been doing quite well for itself. On IMDB (a site in which a show like it isn’t really favoured well historically for each of those aforementioned reasons) it has already racked up almost 10k votes and been in the top 20 on their most searched shows chart (even getting into the top 10 last week) all in spite of not even being out for even a month yet and not being a show with a built in audience like The White Lotus or any of the numerous true crime series that have come out this year. It has had more longevity on Amazon’s streaming charts in the US than some of their biggest tentpoles this year and has appeared multiple times as a part of trending TV topics on numerous online search engines. Is it some massive global phenomenon like The White Lotus season 2 or a Netflix true crime series like Dahmer? Of course not. But it doesn’t mean it isn’t generating buzz or that it’s a stretch to call it a contender along with each of those other four shows at this stage of the race (in fact seeing that it’s one of only three SAG eligible limited series that have had multiple screenings for committee members, Black Bird and The Dropout, it’s probably a stretch to say it isn’t in the conversation).

I mean, you did group it with Dahmer, TWL and Black Bird in your original post though lol. You said The Patient doesn’t seem to have generated the same amount of buzz as those 4 shows. I simply said, The English hasn’t generated the same amount of buzz as Dahmer, TWL and Black Bird either — hence the sneak.

I think it’s more buzzy than The Patient, yes, but it’s not in the same league as the other 3 you mentioned.

Also, it feels kind of pointless to compare the popularity of a Netflix show to that of 2 Hulu shows when the subscriber base to one is so much more than the other. Regardless, Dopesick was massively popular and The Dropout’s subject matter was industry fodder so it didn’t need huge audience numbers. I also don’t get why those shows are being bought up lol? The English isn’t similar to Dopesick or The Dropout at all in circumstance.

Lastly, I literally never said it wasn’t generating buzz or that it would be a stretch to call it a contender so I’m not sure why you’re putting words in my mouth and trying to make it seem like I completely wrote it off. All I’m saying is it’s more in the same boat as The Patient than TWL, Dahmer, Black Bird in that it wasn’t this huge show that we know the industry is definitely watching and/or will respond to. Do I think it has a better chance at being embraced at awards shows than The Patient? Yes. But I wouldn’t say it’s in the same group as the other 3, which is what you said (or at least alluded to) in your original post.

Also, Emily Blunt is a movie star lol. She isn’t just some random woman who happens to be  one of the leads of a Prime Video western. Her name alone could, and probably has, driven people to watch the show. I know when I get around to watching it, it’ll be because of her since I’ve always been a fan.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

And looks like it’s a hit again

This is a little harsh but I don’t really trust HBO’s internal figures currently (that’s not to say TWL isn’t a hit). They only release them when it suits them.

They were significantly off when it came to House of The Dragon and Nielsen which makes me think they’re using a fairly non-specific metric (i.e like the old “tried 2 minutes” Netflix metric)

wolfali
    Topics:

Its ratings are far superior than TWL’s.

Isn’t that really the case for most Netflix shows compared to HBO shows though? <i>Inventing Anna</i> had 10 times as many viewers as the first season of The White Lotus. I feel like nowadays you have what is a hit by a streamer/network’s usual standards and then an actual bonafide audience hit that transcends most other shows for a streamer or network and that Dahmer is the former and The White Lotus is the latter. It’s not doing House of the Dragon numbers for HBO but it’s still a pretty in demand title for HBO whilst Netflix have had around 6 or 7 of those these past few months.

Couverture
    Topics:

The English is way more popular and bigger than the patient ( I liked both btw)

And liked. The Patient’s audience scores are terrible across the board for a supposed contender. 7 on IMDb, 3.29 on LB, 66% on RT. There’s not many (any?) arguments for this to be ahead of or even be on the same level as The English, despite the latter itself being not a guaranteed thing.

A Negroni. Sbagliato. With Prosecco in it.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories’ is closed to new replies.