Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 502 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
kat_ebbs

• liz
    Topics:

I think the first three (Plaza, Coolidge, Fahy) are definitely happening, I’m hoping for Impacciatore too but if they nominate her they may need to expand the slots to 7

As for the actors, I don’t know but Murray Abraham and Theo James are getting in, I didn’t pay that much attention to Tom Hollander this season tbh so I can’t pinpoint if he’s safe

Heptapod
    Topics:

I think Haley Lu Richardson is more likely than either Tabasco or Grannò. Her role has been a tad showier, and while she doesn’t have another Emmy favorite behind her like Euphoria or Insecure like Sweeney or Rothwell, she’s still a recognizable face from her indie film roles. And if she dies in the finale like I’m suspecting, she could end up being one of the more memorable roles (she’s already the character I’ve seen the most “thinkpieces” about).

In my opinion, Coolidge, Fahy, Impacciatore, Plaza, Abraham, and Imperioli already have an easy cakewalk to nominations. Even though Hollander hasn’t ever really been an awards name, he feels like a classic “oh we know and like that guy!” nomination. Richardson, Tabasco, James, and Sharpe will all have to rely on the material they get in the finale. With Daddario’s performance EXPLODING in last season’s finale and Rothwell getting a perfect showcase scene as well, we’ll probably be entirely re-evaluating our rankings after Sunday night.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

wolfali
    Topics:

Is it crazy that I think supporting actor is the most likely category for The White Lotus to win at the Emmys rather than supporting actress? Things could change of course in the finale but I feel like people are very torn on which of Coolidge, Fahy and Plaza is the female standout whilst I feel like there’s a vacuum in the actor race that one of the supporting men could very well fill if they get a showcase on Sunday. I think if the storyline with the quartet ends up exploding in the way it looks like it could be going that one of James and Sharpe in particular could jump ahead.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Heptapod
    Topics:

Things could change of course in the finale but I feel like people are very torn on which of Coolidge, Fahy and Plaza is the female standout

Lena Headey watching everyone torn

Cersei

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Heptapod
    Topics:

Actually feeling pretty confident about these as the five Limited Series nominees:

All the Light We Cannot See (Netflix)
    Daisy Jones and the Six (Hulu)
    Masters of the Air (Apple TV+)
    The White House Plumbers (HBO)
    The White Lotus (HBO)

The White Lotus for obvious reasons. I think Daisy Jones will be the other big limited hit of the season, ending up as the “fun” pick a la Inventing Anna, Little Fires Everywhere. The White House Plumbers will fill the serious true crime slot. Apple promoting Masters of the Air so far out makes me think they know they’ve got something good on their hands. Netflix won’t miss entirely, and since I haven’t been on these forums for a while let me know if I’m being foolish for not predicting Dahmer, but All the Light We Cannot See feels stronger to me due to having better release date, being an adaptation of an already popular and highly acclaimed book, and hopefully being controversy-free.

LittleLucky
    Topics:

While I don’t think I fully buy it quite yet, I wonder if This Is Going To Hurt could wind up making a strong showing at the winter precursors and become a critics push for limited series that winds up getting in (if I’m not mistaken, it’s currently the only eligible limited series in the Metacritic critics aggregate). I also think Ben Whishaw is looking pretty good for a nomination right now (previous Emmy winner + a kinda weak category so far + an apparently fantastic performance)! I would honestly say that after The White Lotus: Sicily (duh), it might be the strongest limited series contender out right now.

wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think it’s foolish to really predict anything right now. We don’t even have Golden Globe nominations yet! Anything unseen could in theory happen as could really anything that has been seen because nothing is tested yet.

I’m expecting Dahmer to perform quite well with the guilds due to its visibility (I have Peters and Nash in at SAG and I have the show in at DGA, WGA and PGA). I think whether it gets into series at the Emmys depends on the field it is competing in and whether any of the other shows from this half of eligibility end up building some visibility from the winter awards (until Black Bird and The English for example get snubbed at the Globes and SAG I don’t think either of them are out of contention yet) or if the Spring contenders end up landing strong. The Television Academy seems to have a strong Murphy bloc (who would have thought Impeachment would get any nominations after last year’s winter awards never mind actress and writing nods) so it probably has enough support but I think the question is probably whether it has enough.

I think Daisy Jones will be the other big limited hit of the season, ending up as the “fun” pick a la Inventing Anna, Little Fires Everywhere.

It already seems to be picking up some steam on Twitter with its promo material.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Heptapod
    Topics:

I can’t reveal what I know because of a friend’s NDA, but Hulu will be going ALL OUT on promotion for Daisy Jones… if it pans out, it’ll probably be the coolest marketing stunt I’ve ever seen. (Whatever you’re thinking, it’s bigger. Social media is going to go NUTS.)

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Isn’t Daisy Jones an Amazon show and not Hulu?

Social media is already going nuts, I’ve already came across at least five fancam edits with at least 200k views on TikTok.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Isn’t Daisy Jones an Amazon show and not Hulu?

The audiobook adaptation of Daisy Jones is really great (and very commercially successful) If they can translate it to screen as well as they could to audio it will be one of the hits of the year.

Jays
    Topics:

Isn’t Daisy Jones an Amazon show and not Hulu? Social media is already going nuts, I’ve already came across at least five fancam edits with at least 200k views on TikTok.

Lol yes it’s Amazon. That book was really popular so I can see it being a big hit with audiences.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I am a bit conscious of The White House Plumbers potentially having *something* a bit disadvantageous going on because it’s going to end up having wrapped about fifteen months prior to release. I get the Gaslit thing but HBO are aware of where they sit in an awards race compared to Starz.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Could Will Sharpe end up being the conscious male pick for The White Lotus (of course assuming another cast member doesn’t have a Julianne Nicholson moment in the finale this weekend).

I already discussed in Globes thread about how some new international HFPA members gravitated towards his performance the most, in addition to his performance in Giri/Haji.

Had noticed some writers are also fans of the latter as well, and given that he has also directed/written projects for Emmy winners Benendict Cumberbatch, Olivia Colman & Claire Foy, perhaps the show was more widely seen and he himself is more liked in the American industry than we think.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

i find taylor jenkins reid to sorta be like philippa gregory but for 21stc rather than tudor england.

frothy lightweight historical fiction.

daisy jones’s main female role is pretty baity though.

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

i find taylor jenkins reid to sorta be like philippa gregory but for 21stc rather than tudor england. frothy lightweight historical fiction. daisy jones’s main female role is pretty baity though.

Yeah it feels like a commercial success first and foremost.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories’ is closed to new replies.