Home Forums Television 2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories

2023 Emmy Predictions: Limited/Movie Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 394 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
8 hours ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
kat_ebbs

• kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Netflix’s marketing team really aren’t glorifying this in the way it’s being said. That single Tweet (which I agree is meh) is not representative of how they’re engaging with it: they literally haven’t posted about it in days, it did not get a premiere, it has not done external press, they are retweeting Ryan Murphy Productions which is likely contractually required, they are airing it because it’s contractually required, the show will likely be FYCd because it’s required but we don’t even know if that’s the bare minimum or a glitzy campaign.

That the project was greenlit/an associated doco was commissioned/there are moral concerns over the production company etc is a different thing and ABSOLUTELY worth this discourse. Maybe the left hand isn’t talking to the right hand there or they’re paying for decisions made a year or two ago, but the actual promotion of this is far less egregious than the Pam and Tommy stuff.

I have my own feelings (it is not my favourite sub genre for a reason) but it’s worth pointing out voters didn’t care when it came to complaints about The Staircase or Pam and Tommy etc last year.

ReplyCopy URL

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

The way Dahmer is better than 4/5 of the last limited series nominees but still doesn’t feel like it could get nominated makes me wonder if we’re not overthinking it. I know the controversy is overshadowing the quality of the show, but do we really believe the voters will care at the end of the day? I mean, they should, but if they will is the question.

Well I don’t think that it’s really the consensus that Dahmer is better than last year’s crop. I think that’s just you. The worst nominee last year was Inventing Anna and that is like 10 higher than Dahmer on both MC and RT. So I’d say we’re not overthinking it. It’s just not happening. Not because of the controversy but because of the quality (or lack thereof).

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Well I don’t think that it’s really the consensus that Dahmer is better than last year’s crop. I think that’s just you. The worst nominee last year was Inventing Anna and that is like 10 higher than Dahmer on both MC and RT. So I’d say we’re not overthinking it. It’s just not happening. Not because of the controversy but because of the quality (or lack thereof).

To be fair the user scores are much better but – statistically – almost nothing gets in with reviews like Dahmer’s, whilst you will generally get one, maybe two projects a year that are mixed but bordering on positive, and there’s probably a simple explanation for that – critics scores like that also likely reflect the press sentiment in general and a vitriolic press has the capacity to torpedo an FYC campaign.

Inventing Anna, whilst hardly my favourite series of the year, was largely maligned by critics who had too much to watch for being overlong (entirely disproven by actual viewership figures).

ReplyCopy URL

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Inventing Anna, whilst hardly my favourite series of the year, was largely maligned by critics who had too much to watch for being overlong (entirely disproven by actual viewership figures).

I feel like that’s actually a fair criticism though? Inventing Anna was actively bad (like, 3/10 bad). It had style and nice clothes, and was an entertaining story featuring a good performance (Chlumsky) and a terrific performance (Garner), but the storytelling was shot to hell, with everything from the length to the pacing to the framing to the formula to the tone to the writing being subpar at best. If anything, I think critics were too lenient with it because of how much they had to watch at the time. If you look at audience scores, they’re lower on both sites.

P.S. I hate that fucking show for taking a spot away from Maid or Station Eleven, or even The Staircase. Just a pathetic look for the TV Academy.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    2. The Fabelmans
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

feel like that’s actually a fair criticism though?

I agree with you, personally (I’m just as annoyed about it getting a spot) but my point is that is their argument is disproven by data, which meant that for the most part, the press kind of just…..shut up about it. Plus no one is going to get clicks arguing angrily about it (I also think it’s largely true for half the submissions last year, a lot of which critics were kinder too likely because they only got 2-3 episodes)

Their opinions on the morality of doing this series is a far more volatile thing. It does appear that audiences don’t care, and that might balance things out, but there is absolutely a world where the press derail this.

ReplyCopy URL

Bee
    Topics:

I think Dahmer will just end up like Ratched; a critically maligned Ryan Murphy show that gets a Globe nod/SAG nod for Evan Peters but comes up short for the Emmys. The audience scores are much higher so it’s well-liked by the GP but it doesn’t have the respect or passion to stay strong as a whole. I think, similarly to Blonde, they’ll be too afraid to touch the show outside of acting.

ReplyCopy URL

MrAmerica
    Topics:

I think Dahmer will just end up like Ratched; a critically maligned Ryan Murphy show that gets a Globe nod/SAG nod for Evan Peters but comes up short for the Emmys. The audience scores are much higher so it’s well-liked by the GP but it doesn’t have the respect or passion to stay strong as a whole. I think, similarly to Blonde, they’ll be too afraid to touch the show outside of acting.

I’ve been burned saying this before (said it about Danielle Deadwyler last year for Station Eleven), but hopefully I’m more right this year… isn’t Niecy Nash’s performance in Dahmer truly just too good to be denied? She is absolutely fantastic. I think the show will go the way of ‘Hollywood’, in that it hits for acting but not for series. Jenkins, Peter, and especially Nash, are honestly just too good in this for too many others to eclipse them. Am I naive?

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’ve been burned saying this before (said it about Danielle Deadwyler last year for Station Eleven), but hopefully I’m more right this year… isn’t Niecy Nash’s performance in Dahmer truly just too good to be denied? She is absolutely fantastic. I think the show will go the way of ‘Hollywood’, in that it hits for acting but not for series. Jenkins, Peter, and especially Nash, are honestly just too good in this for too many others to eclipse them. Am I naive?

Too good to be denied requires performances usually to be widely seen enough to be adjudged that (likely Deadwyler’s issue), and it’s too early to tell with Dahmer (and Murphy’s stuff can be a bit hit and miss like that). If she goes supporting it is unlikely she gets in without Peters because voters rarely go for individual supporting performances. She’s also going to be really disadvantaged at winter because Globes supporting is mixed, CCA is unlikely because the critics hate it, and SAG would likely require bumping a lead.

ReplyCopy URL

jjjmoss
    Topics:

early reactions to Marvel’s Werewolf by Night are positive, and tv movie is usually dead. But one review says it’s about an hour long, so does that mean it’s not eligible for anything?

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

early reactions to Marvel’s Werewolf by Night are positive, and tv movie is usually dead. But one review says it’s about an hour long, so does that mean it’s not eligible for anything?

The 2022 rules say 75 minutes and IMDB says it’s 52, so no, unless they change the rules, which might not be entirely out of the question at this stage given how dire it is.

ReplyCopy URL

Gajo
    Topics:

The recent Jurassic World is maligned by everyone but it has grossed a billion dollars. I don’t know anyone who didn’t think Inventing Anna was just another trashy Netflix original to mass consume like Red Notice. That is part of Netflix’s brand. It has a rotten audience score, lower than the score from critics so it is not just a thing with one group of people. I thought most of the criticism was more nuanced than a simple complaint about length in the end.

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

Inventing Anna is such a mystery to me, poor critical reception, terrible audience reception, no directing and writing noms and yet somehow it got into Series.
    The power of Shonda i guess.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL

Manav
    Topics:

Inventing Anna is such a mystery to me, poor critical reception, terrible audience reception, no directing and writing noms and yet somehow it got into Series. The power of Shonda i guess.

“Visibility” & “Popcorn Television” are the sole answers for it hun.

ReplyCopy URL

kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Inventing Anna is such a mystery to me, poor critical reception, terrible audience reception, no directing and writing noms and yet somehow it got into Series. The power of Shonda i guess.

I think the reality though is none of it was diabolical (RT user score is terrible but also probably review bombed) and it was potatoes in a year where people were clearly dispassionate about other vegetables. Do I wish they’d gone for Maid instead? Absolutely.

It was just the most watched of a truckload of similarly commercial stuff that was pretty average but clearly has a base. It’s probably no one’s favourite but it’s also not a show people are going to launch into impassioned arguments to have burnt in a fire.

ReplyCopy URL

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

The 2022 rules say 75 minutes and IMDB says it’s 52, so no, unless they change the rules, which might not be entirely out of the question at this stage given how dire it is.

they should honestly just combine TV movie and limited series like it was in the past and have as many slots as comedy and drama. All of the individual categories are already combined…

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    2. The Fabelmans
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 394 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.