Home Forums Television Best Written Lines of the 2021-22 Television Cycle

Best Written Lines of the 2021-22 Television Cycle

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
FreeJacob22
alittle03
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Interested to hear what people’s personal picks are.

For me there is no competition:

“This is MY story! You don’t even have a f*cking daughter!”

“Neither do you Sally.”

Barry (“candy asses”)

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

“Who has ever looked after you in this f*cking family?” – Tom Wambsgans to Greg Hirsch, in ”All the Bells Say”, Succession.

There’s something so composite and multilayered about this one line. Knowing the show, there are quite a few characters who could say this to one another and for a variety of different purposes and contexts, depending on the situations and subplots everyone is oscillating between all season. But there’s something extra profound and nuanced about Tom being the person being the one to say it and Greg being the one to hear it. It matters in that moment what Tom is trying to coerce Greg into doing and the implication that Tom is the only one who genuinely cares for Greg despite the way he continuously mistreats him, as well. Tom even says to him in the next few sentences that his stature in the workplace would only slightly improve upon joining Tom’s side. You could almost say Tom’s question to Greg is like he’s practically asking himself and then deciding to act accordingly to better serve his interests. I love how there’s zero throwaway lines in this show and every word is intentional and impactful, but I find this one so fascinating and Matthew Macfadyen’s ice-cold delivery of it makes it all the more captivating.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Also Abbott Elementary was an absolute wealth of brilliant lines and deliveries this cycle!

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

“Black? It’s actually pronounced Zack”

EMMYS FYC

The White Lotus in all categories

Landscapers, Olivia Colman & David Thewlis

Ted Lasso in all Categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

“He was a good man, you know. A real chatterbox, believe it or not. Probably could have been a little bit better listening box at times.”

—-Ted Lasso, beginning to open up about his father.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

‘I remember damage. And escape. Then adrift in a stranger’s galaxy for a long time. But I’m safe now. I found it again. My home.’ – Miranda Carroll (Station Eleven)

‘I don’t want to live the wrong life and then die.’ – Arthur Leander (Station Eleven)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aziz Sliti
    Topics:

Life’s not knights on horseback . It’s a number on a piece of paper … It’s a fight for a knife in the mud .

Logan Roy – Succession 3×08 (“Chiantishire”)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Drama King
    Topics:

“Black? It’s actually pronounced Zack”

yep, I think this is the one, if we’re going for one line. Or two lines, I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

yep, I think this is the one, if we’re going for one line. Or two lines, I guess.

Three if you add the kicker: “You must be Ava.” Lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Drama King
    Topics:

Three if you add the kicker: “You must be Ava.” Lol

Totally. I of course understand why they submitted the Pilot for writing with Brunson credited as the lead writer, but Desking is really my favorite episode. Hats off to lead writer of that episode Morgan Murphy, though I’m guessing that whole brilliant scene was collaboratively written. And then every member of the ensemble pulled it off to perfection. I can’t find a video link to the scene for some reason?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

“Will America be as kind to a female Ted Lasso who leaves her family to go abroad?” (girls5eva)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thiago
    Topics:

“Not with your father, he never saw anything he loved that he didn’t want to kick just to see if it would still come back” (Succession).

Logan’s relationship with his children defined in just one line.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fvg627
    Topics:

“Love? You come for me with love? You bust in here, guns in hand, and now you find they’ve turned to f*cking sausages. You talk about love?”

All the Bells Say

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I decided to do 4 honourable mentions just for fun.

“Something about the centrifugal force. It pulls the bubbles off the side of the can, stops it from exploding. Don’t want our clients to get a surprise now do we?”

Better Call Saul (“Plan and Execution”)

“I’m a very needy person and I’m deeply insecure. Both my parents mentally abused me and – and – and my mother still tortures me, and she’s dead. So now you see that’s the core of the onion.”

The White Lotus (“The Lotus Eaters”)

“So that’s it? We’re not gonna talk anymore? I won’t see you?”

“Oh you’ll see me. In court.”

Hacks (“The One, The Only”)

“Forgive me for the harm I have caused this world. None may atone for my actions but me.”

Severance (“The We We Are”)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreeJacob22
    Topics:

“Now this one. She can act. She couldn’t do it, then I pulled out a dollar and that little girl became Viola Davis.” Ava, Abbott Elementary

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.