Home Forums Television Critics’ Choice TV Awards 2022

Critics’ Choice TV Awards 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 242 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
kat_ebbs
forwardswill
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

They’re good at telling us what picks may have passion but any credibility they have in that respect is completely extinguished by their obsessions with trying to predict the Emmys. Sure last year Waddingham won but then they also gave Michael K. Williams and Donald Sutherland wins for shows no one really cared or was passionate about and well we saw what happened there.

Yeah I agree. I think Waddingham had impact mostly because people had passion for the show and it might have been at risk (far more so if it hadn’t had a pandemic year) of them just defaulting to Sudeikis especially for S1.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Ultimately neither the Globes nor Critics Choice will be advantageous when it comes to visibility or guild performane. Which will be interesting. Although one can argue neither had any effect at all last year with SAG actually nominating Michaela Coel and Small Axe getting shut out there in favour of Hamilton.

Yeah the CC is irrelevant as hell for both TV and Movies (I brought up how last years airing wasn’t even top 25 trending on twitter and aired during the NBA all star tournament and Meghan Marloe Oprah interview).

GG are also somewhat unimportant in terms of being a precursor/predictor for the TV side as opposed to how it can essentially pick the film winners on a given year, so I agree that not much is different this year. We’ll get the guilds to give us some idea but then ultimately by July the noms will show us that actually those hardly mattered too

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cobalt Blue
    Topics:

Good to see Yellowjackets in the mix.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The one thing I do think they are somewhat useful (with about a decades data now) is occasionally highlighting how much signal boost critics will give to individual actors in later projects. There’s quite a few examples of this, for instance Elisabeth Olsen got a nom for Sorry For Your Loss (a Facebook Watch show, of all things) a couple of years ago, and if I recall Dowd got in here for The Leftovers the year before her Handmaid’s win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Apart from the Elisabeth Moss snub, I think most of these nominations are pretty good. Even the Moss snub I can accept because it was in order to get inspiring nods in like Herbers, Aurelia and Lynskey who are really great in their respective shows and didn’t/probably won’t get recognized at the Emmys. If she was snubbed for any of The Morning Show ladies to get in then I would’ve been pissed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We’ll get the guilds to give us some idea but then ultimately by July the noms will show us that actually those hardly mattered too

I agree when it comes to the main guilds but I actually think the technical based ones are actually very useful in telling us how strong certain shows are. With PGA, DGA and WGA you can get shows like The UndoingManiac and Mindhunter that show up but are then forgotten about by the time of the Emmys. But one thing that I think really helped to differentiate I May Destroy You‘s Emmy performance from something like Small Axe was that not only did it get SAG and PGA nominations over it but it also kept getting into multiple BTL guilds whilst Small Axe kept getting snubbed for things like Mrs. America and Hollywood. All in spite of both having the same eligibility at these guilds. Likewise The Queen’s Gambit pulling off an unprecedented sweep of guilds that tend to favour veteran works felt very telling in how much creative arts support it would have even if it lost limited series. Not only did it win at the Costumes Designers Guild over The Crown but also won with the American Society of Cinematographers over Watchmen.

Likewise whilst Unbelievable did well with TCA and BAFTA and got in at WGA, it still missed with the craftspeople (not even getting an MPSE award nomination) which was arguably a red flag for it. It will be interesting to see whether Maid and Dopesick perform as well as they did here with the craftspeople and how well The White Lotus performs at the guilds.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I think there’s a stat suggesting CCA is significant only if combined with GG or SAG on the winter side for TV and that there are maybe only one or two cases to get all three and fail at summer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Is this J Smith-Cameron’s first nod for Succession? It’s about time!

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Is this J Smith-Cameron’s first nod for Succession? It’s about time!

Yes. She probably has slightly higher visibility here because they liked Rectify on Sundance which she was in prior to Succession.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Yes. She probably has slightly higher visibility here because they liked Rectify on Sundance which she was in prior to Succession.

Thanks for the clarification. I vaguely remember being irked when last season it seemed everyone was Emmy nominated in the cast except her lol.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know these don’t matter but I have to say I will be so happy if Michael Keaton wins here. He’s so good on Dopesick and is ridiculously overdue recognition.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

When The Handmaid’s Tale was sweeping for its first season SAG went with This Is Us, later this group went with When They See Us over Chernobyl in addition to Ted Lasso over Schitt’s Creek. They are also not critics the way TCA is, so my bet is that this year they go with Squid Game over Succession. I actually believe Squid Game will win PGA as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Thanks for the clarification. I vaguely remember being irked when last season it seemed everyone was Emmy nominated in the cast except her lol.

They submitted but didn’t really campaign her (maybe to give Snook space) and it’s really only this year she’s started turning up in promo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I think there’s a stat suggesting CCA is significant only if combined with GG or SAG on the winter side for TV and that there are maybe only one or two cases to get all three and fail at summer.

atj

arquette

oh

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When The Handmaid’s Tale was sweeping for its first season SAG went with This Is Us, later this group went with When They See Us over Chernobyl in addition to Ted Lasso over Schitt’s Creek. They are also not critics the way TCA is, so my bet is that this year they go with Squid Game over Succession. I actually believe Squid Game will win PGA as well.

I actually think it will be the opposite. I think without the Globes, CC’s voters will rely on the aggregate of critics lists and Succession‘s recency buzz and award it the drama series win (a bit like they did with Ted Lasso last year) but SAG will go with Squid Game.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.