Home Forums Television Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 7)

Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 248 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
Rachel

• estrelas
    Topics:

What’s the possibility of Succession winning zero acting awards (aside from the name-check Cherry Jones), but sweeping up everything else?

It’s possible. Season 6 of Game of Thrones did that. But I still think it will win, at least, one acting award.

Kay
    Topics:

Anything is possible tbh… I don’t feel confident about any of my predictions in Drama except Writing and Series.

marty
    Topics:

What’s the possibility of Succession winning zero acting awards (aside from the name-check Cherry Jones), but sweeping up everything else?

There is always a possibility of something happening. The fact is that Succession is the frontrunner in Lead Actor, and highly likely in S. Actor/Actress, more so than any other show.

Kay
    Topics:

And how do you know that?! You talked with every actor from the academy?! Billy Porter and Steve Carell could very well be the beneficiary of a possible Succession vote split, even though I would completely vomit if the latter prevailed.

Maybe they could, but I don’t see how they currently rank above Bateman… at all

methaddiction
    Topics:

Fingers crossed this happens when they announce Lead Actor.

“And the Emmy goes to.. Jason Bateman and Steve Carell.”

wolfali
    Topics:

“And the Emmy goes to.. Jason Bateman and Steve Carell.”

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

estrelas
    Topics:

Maybe they could, but I don’t see how they currently rank above Bateman… at all

If thats your prediction, It’s fine. But just prepared for anything… I guess.

angel88401
    Topics:

I think you also have to think about how there’s a bigger overlap between viewers of Succession and Ozark than between viewers of those shows and The Morning Show/Pose. As much as we wish voters watched all the shows, they simply don’t.

So, it seems reasonable that the beneficiary of a vote split between Strong/Cox would be from a completely different show with a typically different audience.

Kay
    Topics:

If thats your prediction, It’s fine. But just prepared for anything… I guess.

It’s not. I’m predicting Strong but in the event of a vote-split between Jeremy Strong and Brian Cox, I strongly believe that Jason Bateman may be next in line

marty
    Topics:

In recent memory, the following have overcome vote-splitting in Drama S. Actor:

1. Chicago Hope
    2. The West Wing
    3. The Practice
    4. The Sopranos
    5. Lost
    6. Damages
    7. Breaking Bad
    8. Game of Thrones

With the exception of one or two, Succession’s run is similar to a lot of these shows. That, plus the explosion of Succession in nominations this year, and the fact that the Actors’ branch in particular has embraced it wholeheartedly bodes extremely well for the Supporting Actor race.

I don’t think Culkin breaking a vote-split is that unlikely. Roman’s a breakout character compared to Macfadyen’s less showy (yet more skillful) portrayal of Tom. He was after all the only cast member nominated at the Globes for S1.

methaddiction
    Topics:

All of those except for Game of Thrones were under the old system.

estrelas
    Topics:

It’s not. I’m predicting Strong but in the event of a vote-split between Jeremy Strong and Brian Cox, I strongly believe that Jason Bateman may be next in line

I know you aren’t predicting Bateman to win. I was refering to your prediction of the beneficiary from a possible vote split.

marty
    Topics:

All of those except for Game of Thrones were under the old system.

You’re completely right, and I’m not saying that because those shows overcame vote-splitting Succession will too, but the tape system didn’t erase the fact that actors from the same show were still competing for votes when they were nominated in the same category.

marty
    Topics:

If anything, I think the new system benefits Culkin. Voters who didn’t bother to watch are inclined to vote for him, he’s been the buzziest nominee in that category (except Crudup maybe). Voting being branch-specific also resulted in Succession bagging an unreal number of noms, so it’s not wrong to assume there is passion behind Succession performances, and Culkin’s (after Strong and maybe Snook) been repeatedly brought up as a highlight in interviews with other actors.

David Buchanan
    Topics:

[T]he tape system didn’t erase the fact that actors from the same show were still competing for votes when they were nominated in the same category.

Voters used to fill out a ranked ballot, though, so a “Succession” fan could’ve ranked Culkin, Macfadyen, and Braun 1, 2, and 3 and therefore not “split” their vote. Now they have to make a single choice, hence the imminent threat of vote-splitting in all of the categories with 2+ nominees.

Formerly known as PianoMann.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2020 Drama Nominations (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.