Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Do Kenan and Mr. Mayor even exist lol.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Do Kenan and Mr. Mayor even exist lol.

I’ve seen the first episodes of both shows, and I’m wondering the same thing.

FYC Emmys: Give Inside Everything!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I have to say that the resemblance between Anderson and Fanning is there! I am intrigued to see who they cast as Catherine when the show moves into its next iteration like The Crown (my vote would go to Carey Mulligan).

Plsss I would scream if Carey stepped in. I would die to see her in a role like this. But (sadly) I’m not sure if she’s interested in doing TV atm.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But (sadly) I’m not sure if she’s interested in doing TV atm.

She did do Collateral a few years ago (with Billie Piper lol) on the BBC/Netflix. Although I guess the David Hare of it all probably influenced her decision (she was in the Broadway revival of his play Skylight).

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Great is just 10s across the board, must see.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The Great gives me Succession vibes (especially with that support it seems to have from the writers branch). I think it could be a top contender for the series win next season if its sophomore season is more acclaimed than its last.

All of this. Succession is perfect comparison too because I not sure how much of a sleeping giant Hulu realise they have on their hands with The Great whenever it does premiere again. As long it makes SAG eligibility in this current cycle, I can’t see how it won’t be at least a top 3 contender.

Ironically, the show premiering that late into the 2020 Emmy cycle seemed have hurt it’s chances more than helped, giving how great (no pun intended) it’s Guild/Winter run was; 3 Globe noms; 3 WGA noms (incl 1 win), 2 SAG noms (incl ensemble), ASC & CAS noms. Even this past month it got three BAFTA craft nominees, which is practically unheard of for non-British full productions.

Audience wise, it does seem to have found itself a nice solid base. I’m guessing at least some normies are watching it considering Hoult got an MTV Award nom for it, despite it being the farthest thing from MTV’s typically nominees/demo, and it was a mini-hit in the UK once it eventually got a broadcaster in January.

And going by IMDB (despite it being flawed metric). It’s one of only five debut comedies of 2020 to gather at least 10k audience reviews and score above a 7.6 in audience ratings.

Most reviewed debut comedies of 2020 (per IMDb)

1. Emily in Paris (51,373)
    2. Ted Lasso (51,362)
    3. Space Force (47,511)
    4. Upload (43,555)
    5. The Flight Attendant (28,647)

6. Never Have I Ever (26,712)
    7. The Great (20,729)
    8. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (12,050)
    9. Dash & Lily (11,890)
    10. Mythic Quest (11,165)

Highest rated debut comedies of 2020 (per IMDb)

1. Ted Lasso (8.7)
    2. Dave (8.4)
    3. The Great (8.1)
    4. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (8.1)
    5. Love, Victor (8.1)

6. Upload (8.0)
    7. Never Have I Ever (7.9)
    8. Truth Seekers (7.7)
    9. High Fidelity (7.7)
    10. Mythic Quest (7.6)

TLDR: The Great over performed at winter awards, build up a solid fan base and Hulu could win if they play their cards right.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Even this past month it got three BAFTA craft nominees, which is practically unheard of non-British full productions.

BAFTA did tweak the rules this year to officially allow for British/Irish creatives (or those living in the UK and Ireland) behind non British productions to get nominated at the craft awards after how Jesse Armstrong got in and won the Writer award for Succession last year (which was more of an audience hit here than it arguably was initially in the US).

But that still doesn’t take away how impressive its nomination there was. Especially when both Ted Lasso and Bridgerton failed to really make a dent there (in spite of also being British shot productions both with predominantly British casts, the former of which according to IMDB is apparently a British co-production and like The Great has an American star).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

All of this. Succession is perfect comparison too because I not sure how much of a sleeping giant Hulu realise they have on their hands with The Great whenever it does premiere again. As long it makes SAG eligibility in this current cycle, I can’t see how it won’t be at least a top 3 contender.

Ironically, the show premiering that late into the 2020 Emmy cycle seemed have hurt it’s chances more than helped, giving how great (no pun intended) it’s Guild/Winter run was; 3 Globe noms; 3 WGA noms (incl 1 win), 2 SAG noms (incl ensemble), ASC & CAS noms. Even this past month it got three BAFTA craft nominees, which is practically unheard of for non-British full productions.

Audience wise, it does seem to have found itself a nice solid base. I’m guessing at least some normies are watching it considering Hoult got an MTV Award nom for it, despite it being the farthest thing from MTV’s typically nominees/demo, and it was a mini-hit in the UK once it eventually got a broadcaster in January.

And going by IMDB (despite it being flawed metric). It’s one of only five debut comedies of 2020 to gather at least 10k audience reviews and score above a 7.6 in audience ratings.

Most reviewed debut comedies of 2020 (per IMDb)

1. Emily in Paris (51,373)
    2. Ted Lasso (51,362)
    3. Space Force (47,511)
    4. Upload (43,555)
    5. The Flight Attendant (28,647)

6. Never Have I Ever (26,712)
    7. The Great (20,729)
    8. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (12,050)
    9. Dash & Lily (11,890)
    10. Mythic Quest (11,165)

Highest rated debut comedies of 2020 (per IMDb)

1. Ted Lasso (8.7)
    2. Dave (8.4)
    3. The Great (8.1)
    4. Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (8.1)
    5. Love, Victor (8.1)

6. Upload (8.0)
    7. Never Have I Ever (7.9)
    8. Truth Seekers (7.7)
    9. High Fidelity (7.7)
    10. Mythic Quest (7.6)

TLDR: The Great over performed at winter awards, build up a solid fan base and Hulu could win if they play their cards right.

I’m gonna make some fake accounts to review Ted Lasso so it can pass this dreadful thing at #1.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The only thing the Globes would’ve been good for would be giving Fanning a trophy for season two.

I think she’s frontrunner for the Emmy next year, alongside Issa Rae and ofc Sandra Oh

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The only thing the Globes would’ve been good for would be giving Fanning a trophy for season two.

I think she’s still a top contender. She has a last chance narrative like Rae and we’ve seen that aid the last two performers to wins and her show will likely be a top across the board contender. I agree with what Victor said about top contenders.

NGL but I am SO much more excited for next season than this one. In Actress that’s no disrespect to Cuoco or Erskine (whose performances I love) or Goldsberry or Smart (both of whom I haven’t seen yet) but I am a fan of Rose Byrne and Sandra Oh’s work and Brosnahan, Lyonne and Fanning are my last three personal awards winners lol.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Was just thinking about Dickinson season 2, particularly “Split the lark” and “I’m Nobody! Who are you?” and my god… I want this show to be nominated SO so bad.

Dickinson
    Dickinson
    Dickinson
    Dickinson

As long as it gets Steinfeld and writing I’ll be happy.

The episode about Nobody is quite powerful
    I dropped Hailee recently but I’ll be more than happy if she gets in

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Please let it be six
    Please let it be six

It any academy member is reading this, buy a sixth slot for comedy actress because we need it

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.