Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 8.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Comedy SeriesTed Lasso
    Comedy Actress – Jean Smart
    Comedy Actor – Jason Sudeikis
    Comedy S. Actress – Hannah Waddingham
    Comedy S. Actor – Kenan Thompson
    Comedy WritingTed Lasso (“Make Rebecca Great Again”)
    Comedy DirectingHacks (“There is No Line”)
    Comedy G. Actress – Maya Rudolph
    Comedy G. Actor – Dave Chappelle

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Sudesskiss for the win!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I still think Flight Attendant takes directing. And it deserves to.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I still think Flight Attendant takes directing. And it deserves to.

It should indeed be winning directing but I guess I purely have Hacks ahead because the directors branch seem to tend to line up with series rather than necessarily defaulting to directing passion picks (see how when Watchmen vote-split last year it was likely series runner up Unorthodox and neither Normal People nor Little Fires Everywhere that benefitted)? I have Hacks ahead purely because I think it’s the series runner up and will be best positioned to benefit from a vote-split.

That being said I have The Flight Attendant in 2nd in directing just because the show could be much stronger than I’m predicting it to be and Hacks could be much weaker.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I was thinking that we might be underestimating The Flight Attendant actually, because Hacks did better and we always though it would have multiple Supporting noms.
    But it still did quite well, so i don’t know why we gave up so fast.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was thinking that we might be underestimating The Flight Attendant actually, because Hacks did better and we always though it would have multiple Supporting noms. But it still did quite well, so i don’t know why we gave up so fast.

I guess for me it’s because of its under-performance below the line? For example it had two editing submissions yet only got the show’s pilot nominated. Sure a show can still be win competitive for an award like series or directing in spite of an under-performance in editing (The Handmaid’s Tale after all won series without an editing nomination and The Crown season 2 almost won series as well without an editing nomination). But out of the top 3 contenders in series, The Flight Attendant has by far the flashiest editing so it being unable to get in a second editing nomination whilst Hacks (a show that has editing that is rather subtle) managed to get in three feels inexcusable.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

The way barely anyone commented about the death of Master Of None 💀

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Netflix’s comedy campaign priorities flopped for the second time in a row. First GLOW and The Politician perform well whilst Space Force crashes last year and now it’s Cobra Kai and not Master of None that lands a series nomination.

Still I wasn’t expecting the show to get completely shut out lmao. I thought it would still get the cinematography nomination at the very least lol.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Netflix really thought the voters wouldn’t notice that the season wasn’t supposed at all to be competing in Comedy.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Are we underestimating Aidy (or as Ron likes to call her “Ada”) Bryant in the supporting actress race? Getting double acting nominations above the line or that nomination for Shrill (with at the end of the day zero campaigning) shouldn’t have been so easy for her.

If she’s also leaving SNL this season I wonder if she’ll steal enough votes from Strong to ensure this is purely a Waddingham vs Einbinder race.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think TCA seals very much the deal that Waddingham is winning.

I don’t get the Aidy Bryant nomination in Lead to be fair. I guess it shows that Einbinder would have been nominated in Lead. They didn’t like any of the other contenders and went just for Bryant, who they were voting in Supporting and who was next to Kaley Cuoco in the ballots (she was also next to Lily Collins, whose show was nominated in Series).

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Hannah Waddingham is the first supporting performance to get a TCA nom for Individual Achievement in Comedy since 2011 

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrqMdAAEmuo&ab_channel=Variety Speaking of Hannah. I love them.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

When Hannah wins, she should mention Queen Lena Headey and yell “Shame” at the TV academy for never rewarding her.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.