Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I rewatched Ted Lasso season 1 and I couldn’t even choose a perfect submission for any of the supporting actors besides maybe Mohammed because they just don’t have any good showcases for them. My old self would hate myself for rooting for SNL to win, but the iceberg sketch really is better than any of the work those four men did. #TeamYang

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’ve seen people here that don’t even want to recognize how good Sudeikis is in the role . There’s certainly an anti Ted Lasso bias here.

I didn’t think any of them were bad how most of you are saying. They were good with the material they had. My favorite was Mohammed, with Goldstein as a close second.

As it happens with other shows, this is the only place where I see this kinda of complains.

Jason Sudeikis nailed that role, no one can argue with that.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I’ve seen people here that don’t even want to recognize how good Sudeikis is in the role . There’s certainly an anti Ted Lasso bias here. I didn’t think any of them were bad how most of you are saying. They were good with the material they had. My favorite was Mohammed, with Goldstein as a close second. As it happens with other shows, this is the only place where I see this kinda of complains.

The supporting actors are just mediocre at best imo. I’m not really a fan of the show but I recognize Sudeikis, Waddingham and Temple served and I’m actually rooting for those two to win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I would say Goldstein is the likeliest of the Ted Lasso actors to overcome a vote-split but that a vote-split is inevitable. He is arguably the most “prominent” of the Ted Lasso men but that didn’t help someone like Kieran Culkin over-come a vote-split for Succession. Just like Culkin the reception to his performance doesn’t seem to be as strong as his material and he’s up against a fan-favourite (Mohammed/Macfadyen) and a quirky comedic “memey” performance (Swift/Braun).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

My antipathy towards Hacks is growing stronger after watching the premiere of season 2 of Ted Lasso. I’ve been thinking about comedies which are about vocations – we’ve seen plenty of them, whether they’re workplace based or not. Sex and the City gives us excerpts of Carrie’s columns (in fact each episode revolves around it); Girls5Eva and the brilliant We Are Lady Parts gave us punchy songs which progressed the plot, which is about members of bands. Ted Lasso gives us actual football scenes. And of course The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel gives us scripted standup routines.

One of my biggest problems with Hacks, which based on nominated episode isn’t likely to affect them in writing, but diminishes the whole show, is that there are no standup sets.  There is no journey from 1980s superstar to 2020s bombing and revamp. We have no idea what is good and what is bad comedy, and where Deborah or Hannah fit into the zietgeist. As a result, there is no authentic tension and no growth. I don’t know why the writers were too scared or unable to craft these important sets which should show the journey of Deborah and Hannah’s relationship, but as a show based on a vocation (standup comedy), it’s a massive omission which affects not only the comedy of the show, but the entire plot and character development arcs. Without the standup, it’s just totally void of depth.

If Hacks wins series or writing (or supporting actor or actress but that’s another thing), it will be a pretty appalling decision.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

^ haven’t think about that but this might be why I feel so iffy about Hacks as well.
    There is an arc where a major performance is coming and Deborah has to reinvent herself and then SPOILER, STOP READIND IF YOU DID NOT SEE HACKS she bombs, but we never see her performance, she just says so, and it was a pretty big build up for it to not show the presentation.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

My antipathy towards Hacks is growing stronger after watching the premiere of season 2 of Ted Lasso. I’ve been thinking about comedies which are about vocations – we’ve seen plenty of them, whether they’re workplace based or not. Sex and the City gives us excerpts of Carrie’s columns (in fact each episode revolves around it); Girls5Eva and the brilliant We Are Lady Parts gave us punchy songs which progressed the plot, which is about members of bands. Ted Lasso gives us actual football scenes. And of course The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel gives us scripted standup routines.

One of my biggest problems with Hacks, which based on nominated episode isn’t likely to affect them in writing, but diminishes the whole show, is that there are no standup sets. There is no journey from 1980s superstar to 2020s bombing and revamp. We have no idea what is good and what is bad comedy, and where Deborah or Hannah fit into the zietgeist. As a result, there is no authentic tension and no growth. I don’t know why the writers were too scared or unable to craft these important sets which should show the journey of Deborah and Hannah’s relationship, but as a show based on a vocation (standup comedy), it’s a massive omission which affects not only the comedy of the show, but the entire plot and character development arcs. Without the standup, it’s just totally void of depth.

If Hacks wins series or writing (or supporting actor or actress but that’s another thing), it will be a pretty appalling decision.

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

There’s plenty of stand up scenes in the show, the pilot opens with one, there’s that fantastic scene in 1.69 million or that episode (I think it’s the third or fourth) that opens with a lot of sets.

But the whole idea is that Deborah uses her vocation and career to run away from her traumas. It’s explicit every time she jokes about setting her husband’s house in fire and how she made it funny for the people who were watching even though she was hurt in the inside. The self degrading humor that is very common nowadays.

Just watch the first 10 minutes of the first episode and they make it very clear.
    The whole conflict is that Deborah freaks out after she knows Christopher McDonald is going to reduce her sets. The show is not about stand up, is about the people who make it and how they feel behind the scenes.

You just wanted a different show. You’re judging the show based on what you think it should be.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Waddingham is locked? Don’t get me wrong I do think she can win (and I have her winning at the moment) but if Hacks does upset in series then surely Hannah Einbinder will upset too no? Or am I just being overly cautious? I really want Waddingham to win and I don’t like to feel overly confident in things I want to happen just because that can often not be great on a prognosticating basis (although for every Laura Linney I’ve avoided predicting there’s also been an Olivia Colman tarnishing my Oscars score but delivering one of my favourite awards wins of all time).

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Waddingham is locked?

Same.She doesn’t seem locked at all. I feel a surprise coming up

Olivia Colman tarnishing my Oscars score but delivering one of my favourite awards wins of all time

TASTE!!

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Waddingham is locked?

She is a firm frontrunner but she has a few disadvantages:-
    (a) Hacks’ being very strong
    (b) Vote splitting (maybe) between the two Ted Lasso ladies
    (c) “We can award her next year” mentality of a few voters
    (d) Einbender is a co lead so she has a lot more fleshy and juicier scenes and a larger presence than Waddingham.
    (e) Hacks recency

Although for all these disadvantages she has advantages too. So she may/may not win.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Waddingham has the edge and i don’t see that changing, I’m not gonna change to Einbinder unless Hacks win everything on creative arts and even in that scenario I would think twice.

And for a role as big as Einbinder has, i haven’t seen nearly half as passion as I seen for Waddingham. Even in the Ted Lasso 2 premiere where she appeared quite little, people were super excited about her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

TASTE!!

Thank you! That one take where Queen Anne’s facial expressions shift from being in a state of joy to jealousy to heartbreak to anger is just *chef’s kiss*.

I feel like supporting actress will be a bellwether category for which show is the stronger series contender just like comedy actor was in 2018 and I guess I just wonder, is Ted Lasso really locked for series? It did do well in nominations but so did Hacks with 15 nominations with smaller visibility and it over-performed in a way no one was expecting it to (3 editing nominations and 4 acting nominations). Ted Lasso will be helped by airing its second season during the summer but I also feel like that isn’t something that will hurt Hacks too much considering how the show only finished airing quite recently, still hasn’t reached peak visibility yet and will undoubtedly be one of “the shows” that voters will be looking to catch up on if they do considering how much word of mouth it has and how well it did in nominations.

It would be a shame if there really does have to be a pairing between series and supporting actress because I really really want Waddingham to win supporting actress and Hacks series lmfao. Is there a such thing as a win-lose situation lol?

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Ted Lasso will be helped by airing its second season during the summer

That’s a interesting interpretation. But personally I feel it may be the opposite, people may think that they can vote for her next year. That mentality: “she’s so great in season 2…oh I can vote for her next year”

Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

Thank you! That one take where Queen Anne’s facial expressions shift from being in a state of joy to jealousy to heartbreak to anger is just *chef’s kiss*.

That’s exactly the scene where I knew she deserved the oscar.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

That’s exactly the scene where I knew she deserved the oscar.

That scene is such a good example of the whole gamut of human emotions. Colman made us cry and laugh and sigh and smile.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.