Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I did consider a PEN15 spoiler here but i dropped because it would mess everything up lmao.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Has any show ever won both writing and directing but lost series? Hacks seems well positioned to benefit from a Ted Lasso vote-split in both.

I think if Ted Lasso wins series, it’s taking writing too (as strong Hacks is in support in that category).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Has any show ever won both writing and directing but lost series? Hacks seems well positioned to benefit from a Ted Lasso vote-split in both. I think if Ted Lasso wins series, it’s taking writing too (as strong Hacks is in support in that category).

Malcolm in the Middle twice and My Name is Earl.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Malcolm in the Middle twice and My Name is Earl.

Those were under those tape years though so I’m not looking into them too much.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think Friends was the last.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Has any show ever won both writing and directing but lost series?

I don’t think it’s happened at all in any of the Series categories under the new system. It’s become slightly more common for Series winners to lose Writing and Directing though, because Veep and Game of Thrones kept splitting votes in those categories (they were repeat winners but somehow I could still see Ted Lasso season 1 being strong enough to do this).

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’ve gone full bananas and now I’m predicting MJ Delaney to win Directing for The Hope That Kills You. They tend to default either to the pilot, the beginning of the season or the season finale, so.

Hacks in Writing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just don’t buy Ted Lasso winning directing. That branch is vote-splitting galore and it lost at DGA when it just had “Biscuits” and “The Hope That Kills You” and now it has the show’s most acclaimed episode in the mix that also happens to be nominated for writing (“Make Rebecca Great Again”). The Crown might even lose directing due to a vote-split and it has weaker competition than Ted Lasso and only two episodes in the mix.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is only winning Directing if it goes 6/6. Otherwise it’s still a two way horse between TFA & Hacks.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

You’re probably right, but I can’t get out of my head Hacks winning in Writing. It doesn’t help that the Writing branch is where shows about industry (30 Rock, Louie, Master of None) usually win.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

If Ted Lasso isn’t winning directing then it’s Hacks, there was the whole discussion the other day about the patterns in the directing winners, and whichever side you land on, Hacks is both second in series and the directing nominee is it’s show runner, so it’s got both going for it

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

On a separate note Hacks also has a strong chance of winning at the upcoming DGA awards. The guild has a bias towards HBO and they tend to gravitate towards pilots/finales helmed by women.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

You’re probably right, but I can’t get out of my head Hacks winning in Writing. It doesn’t help that the Writing branch is where shows about industry (30 Rock, Louie, Master of None) usually win.

I also have a sense of Ted Lasso winning writing, it just seems like the trendy show type that the writers would love to award. I know that under the new system no show has won series and writing and lost series, but I think Hacks totally could.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Ted Lasso wasn’t airing its new season during voting I would be tempted to predict a Hacks win in series but yeah I don’t know. Maybe next year HBO Max.

Regardless of what you think of Ted Lasso you have to give props to Apple for airing its second season during voting. Instead of suffering from a lack of recency bias, the show has recency on its side and has cemented its position as the buzzy kid that is the talk of the town. Although it may cost them next year if they don’t get a third season out on time…

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

If Ted Lasso isn’t winning directing then it’s Hacks, there was the whole discussion the other day about the patterns in the directing winners, and whichever side you land on, Hacks is both second in series and the directing nominee is it’s show runner, so it’s got both going for it

I’ve agreed with this since it was first discussed but not predicting The Flight Attendant here hurts. While it was a different system it just reminds me so much of the Pushing Daisies pilot that won even though the show didn’t get much above the line attention.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.