Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Well, we knew for sure that Emmy voters absolutely love giving SNL guest wins, and Dave (and Maya) each won the category for guest for SNL already so we knew they were embraced. We have no such prior knowledge of ted lasso.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Didn’t SNL just overcame a 4-way split? Why Ted can’t do the same, specially when they are against another vote split situation, which SNL today was not.

Yep, which I’d say was on balance positive for Ted Lasso…. if SNL weren’t the main competition to Ted Lasso.

I loveeeee Brett in Ted Lasso. I want him to win. But I don’t really get the over confidence – it’s not like he’s gotten in anywhere else, he’s not a previous nominee we’re assuming everyone is watching Ted Lasso week to week when we generally know most people binge comedies so there’s a good chance people haven’t seen S2.  The n0-Brit stuff is a pattern working against him in my opinion.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have to say I’m quite shocked Kenan is still first in the odds. The only thing that was keeping him in this race is an overdue narrative but it’s hard to win with such a narrative when there’s no passion for your performance.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Brett Goldstein – Having switched to him the second season two premiered, it frustrates me to no end that basically the whole forum is predicting him at this point. I am very confident in this one. He is the only one from his show that was talked about during the voting period so votesplitting isn’t an issue. Ted Lasso > SNL seals the deal.

—————————————-

2. Bowen Yang – The kind of nomination that screams a lot of passion despite the show’s visibility. You have to know him to nominate him or you’d pick Pete Davidson or someone.

3. Kenan Thompson – If either of the above is weaker than I’m forecasting then Thompson will take it due to his overdue, beloved status. That hasn’t really been the Emmys’ habit lately though.

—————————————-

4. Nick Mohammed – I can see many voters preferring him for season one. Sadly they are likely voting on season two (or its buzz at least).

5. Paul Reiser – Clutching at straws to say I have him this high as he’s well known enough to be a potential namecheck amongst competing co-stars? In reality, he’s lucky to be nominated.

6-8. Carl Clemons Hopkins, Jeremy Swift, Brendan Hunt – I would be stunned.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. Hannah Waddingham – The love for this performance will never quite be something I understand but that’s not what predicting is. She is the clear leader of this race and the fact that Ted Lasso is romping to a series win only helps that. The lack of satisfaction with her role in season two is all that sets her back because she hasn’t had that chance to maintain interest.

—————————————-

2. Hannah Einbinder – A lead role in supporting is always more of a threat than it deserves to be. Hacks airing at the end of the season means she peaked at a good time. Few are calling this upset but if there is to be a shocker on Emmy night this is where I’d currently place my coins.

—————————————-

3. Rosie Perez – None of the rest of this category are winning but I’ll make a few notes anyway. If they want to throw TFA a bone but can’t with Cuoco then here is one opportunity. Directing feels more likely.

4. Juno Temple – She has a consistent role across both seasons and a more blatantly comedic role than Waddingham’s. If Critics Choice wasn’t a thing we’d have nothing concrete confirming the gap between them.

5. Cecily Strong – Most buzzed SNL contender here based on the actual season.

6. Aidy Bryant – Double nominations this year so clearly some element of renewed interest in her.

7. Kate McKinnon – Has won before and remains popular but this just isn’t going to be her year.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I perhaps ironically feel like Ted Lasso is in opposite situations in both supporting categories.

In supporting actor I feel confident Goldstein is ahead of his co-stars (and his competition as a whole) because he’s really been at the crux of season 2’s buzz since it aired and it’s likely that voters are voting on that season in addition to season 1 and it feels like Mohammed has been “lost in the shuffle”.  On the other hand whilst Temple has attracted more buzz than Waddingham for the show’s second season it has been quite a moderate growth in buzz to the extent that I don’t think it has had enough impact in the voting stage to cause a vote-spit. I also feel like Waddingham’s season 1 character arc very much is still in recent memory for some reason (perhaps because in this season there have been so many references to events of the preceding one involving her character?) even though season 1 aired a year ago.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I also feel like Waddingham’s season 1 character arc very much is still in recent memory for some reason (perhaps because in this season there have been so many references to events of the preceding one involving her character?) even though season 1 aired a year ago.

I think this is natural in general for TV shows. There’s a reason we see very few nominees that are not original cast members. Your first season matters and people remember it if it’s really strong.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think this is natural in general for TV shows. There’s a reason we see very few nominees that are not original cast members. Your first season matters and people remember it if it’s really strong.

I agree. It gives you a lot of goodwill. This might actually also explain why Samira Wiley was The Handmaid’s Tale supporting actress who stuck on last year lol.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

The character assassination the Ted Lasso writers did to Nate was pretty good for Goldstein.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Nate’s arc, while predictable, it’s not something i would call assassination.
    Rebecca on the other hand, she was murdered and someone replaced her with a twin.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Rebecca is kinda aimless now, the only thing she has in her life is relationship issues apparently. Her newest mistake is going to blow up spectacularly in her face, but I’m not sure what it’s supposed to mean for her character. Nate’s has a very clear arc, and all of his actions over the last couple of episodes have very obviously been setting up a major turning point in the (or at least his) story. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The character assassination the Ted Lasso writers did to Nate was pretty good for Goldstein.

Possibly for S2 but it’s really quite good, nuanced material for Mohammed that gets to show various sides of his acting. It might pay off in the end.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

Hannah Einbinder – A lead role in supporting is always more of a threat than it deserves to be. Hacks airing at the end of the season means she peaked at a good time. Few are calling this upset but if there is to be a shocker on Emmy night this is where I’d currently place my coins.

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree on Einbinder being a serious contender to upset. It’s just a weird feeling, it would be huge to dethrone Waddingham.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

An Einbeinder win would be so awesome. Make it happen!

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.