Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 521 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Darling you need to try TFA, I feel like you haven’t watched

I watched one episode but does it matter now that she’s ended her competition? 

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I watched one episode but does it matter now that she’s ended her competition?

Yes, stan both girls for clear skin. I know I do!

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I agree but I’m also thinking it’s not liked they watched Kenan or Shrill either.

I mean, tea. But then again, both are already familiar names to the TV academy and those noms are for their shows. Yang was a guest in a show they clearly didn’t watch and like I said, he’s still new to the TV academy.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Aidy Bryant was never going to get nominated for a small Hulu underdog like Shrill if voters didn’t watch it. I doubt the support for SNL is what got her across the finish line in actress. It’s possible that she was in like 7-8th place in actress these past two years but just couldn’t break into the top six. Now that the field was emptier, however, she finally made it in. The people who watch Shrill LOVE her performance, so it’s not hard to believe that enough voters just watched it and loved her work in it.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Aidy Bryant was never going to get nominated for a small Hulu underdog like Shrill if voters didn’t watch it. I doubt the support for SNL is what got her across the finish line in actress. It’s possible that she was in like 7-8th place in actress these past two years but just couldn’t break into the top six.

I agree. I think they probably aren’t watching Kenan but I disagree with Shrill not being seen, especially getting in on Season 3.  Nielsen (and Hulu) freely acknowledge they have a very high female viewership and if Hulu viewers are watching THT and Pen15 it really isn’t inconceivable they watched Shrill, especially when it dropped close to concurrent with THT. Aidy has the advantage of not vote splitting like the Pen15 girls were always at risk of doing too.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Aidy has the advantage of not vote splitting like the Pen15 girls were always at risk of doing too.

I don’t think The Pen15 gals split the vote though. With unlimited nominating slots, that shouldn’t happen. I think the reason for them missing is that the actors’ branch just isn’t behind Pen15 yet. I do think we’ll eventually see them come through though.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think The Pen15 gals split the vote though. With unlimited nominating slots, that shouldn’t happen. I think the reason for them missing is that the actors’ branch just isn’t behind Pen15 yet. I do think we’ll eventually see them come through though.

Yeah, you’re probably right, I can’t really see a situation where you nominate one but not the other from Pen15. it’s 11pm here and my logic-ing is probably not the best.

But I do think the fact  that Pen15 got in and they went crazy for THT indicates they are paying attention to Hulu and that Hulu probably benefits from having a fairly small slate of ongoing shows.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I actually think Pen15 underperformed. Getting both episodes in writing should’ve been easier considering the passion of the writing branch in nominating multiple episodes. It does seem like the acting branch isn’t watching it, but I also can’t say they watched Shrill.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Maybe we underestimated how PEN15 could be hurt by airing all the way back to last September

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think people here just underestimated TFA in Writing.

PEN15 got all the nominations it was supposed to get. Series + Writing + Casting.
    Visibility is still a problem (a reason why I have doubts about The Great), but PEN15 is not a very awards-friendly show.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Maybe we underestimated how PEN15 could be hurt by airing all the way back to last September

I think given it’s probably already fringe in terms of viewership it might not have helped it.

Outside of Ted Lasso and The Flight Attendant who already got a winter awards boost most of the acting nominees have had something air much more recently.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

So who do you all have for Supporting Actor?

I am going with Paul Reiser because I just don’t see any consensus between Thompson and Yang.

Thompson actually reminds me of Sandra Oh – overdue for a win (I doubt voters know or care that he won for Music & Lyrics), a second acting nomination that apparently indicated support, but lost to the co-star with more passion.

The problem is, Yang is not on the same level as Comer was that year, so I am struggling to predict Yang as well.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The problem is, Yang is not on the same level as Comer was that year, so I am struggling to predict Yang as well.

You’re really underestimating how much people LOVED to The Iceberg sketch.

(Which is still baffling to me because he had the U.S.O. Show, Chen Baio on TikTok and the Outdoor Cabaret this season)

USO

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Predicting Yang feels fairly easy tbh

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I am going with Paul Reiser because I just don’t see any consensus between Thompson and Yang.

I am tempted to go for Reiser (or Yang due to passion).  I feel The Kominsky Method is actually pretty strong for what it is and there’s clearly a branch of the voters that love it.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.