Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 521 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
methaddiction
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Kenan said he’s not leaving SNL. https://ew.com/tv/kenan-thompson-snl-future-20-seasons/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kenan said he’s not leaving SNL. https://ew.com/tv/kenan-thompson-snl-future-20-seasons/

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Time for the REAL winner to claim the #1 spot

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

I hope it!

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:
    Tyler
    Topics:

I didn’t say I was rooting for Bowen (am I? Nobody in this category inspires passion. I like Goldstein and he’s the only SA from Ted Lasso I would nominate any other year, but is it a scene-stealing win worthy performance?)

Anyways, was just saying I think Bowen is the frontrunner over Kenan or Brett, but that being said this category is crazy weak.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Bowen Yang’s support feels greater than SNL‘s just like Julia Garner’s with Ozark. They both attracted a lot of passionate fans from their first seasons (which they missed for due to competition and lack of name recognition) and they also both seem to be newcomers who the industry wants to throw a bone towards. Who knows Yang might win this year and then next year as well 🤷? I was concerned with the possibility of Thompson stealing a few votes from him but with him not actually leaving SNL, I don’t know much urgency some of these voters are going to feel in awarding him when filling out their ballots.

Goldstein has the largest arc of the Ted Lasso supporting men but recent history has shown how much the internal competition of a fan favourite can hamper someone like Goldstein’s chances. Look at Maisie Williams failing to overcome a vote-split not only because of fan favourite Lena Headey but because of the presence of Gwendoline Christie (who enough people thought was the MVP of the final season of GoT for her to get the loudest applause at the Emmys when the actors were presenting an award). Look at how Yvonne Strahovski was agreed by most to be the standout of the second season of The Handmaid’s Tale (and later was the only supporting actress from this show to get in at the Globes and Critics Choice) but split votes with Dowd and Bledel. For all we know the vote-split amongst the Succession supporting actors last year might not have only been caused by Culkin and Macfadyen splitting votes but fan favourite and twitter meme Braun also stealing quite a few as well. I feel like Goldstein is in similar situation here with not only fan favourite Mohammed stealing votes but potentially also Jeremy Swift with his quirky sidekick character.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Bowen Yang’s support feels greater than SNL‘s just like Julia Garner’s with Ozark. They both attracted a lot of passionate fans from their first seasons (which they missed for due to competition and lack of name recognition) and they also both seem to be newcomers who the industry wants to throw a bone towards. Who knows Yang might win this year and then next year as well 🤷? I was concerned with the possibility of Thompson stealing a few votes from him but with him not actually leaving SNL, I don’t know much urgency some of these voters are going to feel in awarding him when filling out their ballots. Goldstein has the largest arc of the Ted Lasso supporting men but recent history has shown how much the internal competition of a fan favourite can hamper someone like Goldstein’s chances. Look at Maisie Williams failing to overcome a vote-split not only because of fan favourite Lena Headey but because of the presence of Gwendoline Christie (who enough people thought was the MVP of the final season of GoT for her to get the loudest applause at the Emmys when the actors were presenting an award). Look at how Yvonne Strahovski was agreed by most to be the standout of the second season of The Handmaid’s Tale (and later was the only supporting actress from this show to get in at the Globes and Critics Choice) but split votes with Dowd and Bledel. For all we know the vote-split amongst the Succession supporting actors last year might not have only been caused by Culkin and Macfadyen splitting votes but fan favourite and twitter meme Braun also stealing quite a few as well. I feel like Goldstein is in similar situation here with not only fan favourite Mohammed stealing votes but potentially also Jeremy Swift with his quirky sidekick character.

I really do not think vote-splitting is a great example for any of those. Garner and Newton would have won even if they were up against just Williams and Strahovski respectively. Game of Thrones has never been able to win acting categories other than Dinklage’s, Williams really was not seen as having the performance, the show underperformed a ton when it came to wins at the main ceremony, and Garner beat much stronger competition a year later without vote-splitting mattering at all. And The Handmaid’s Tale completely collapsed when it came to wins in 2018. I’m confident that Newton and Kirby both would have gotten more votes than Strahovski even if she was the only nominee from THT in the category.

As for Crudup’s win, that’s more arguable, but he still was a beloved character actor in a showy role that got nominated for SAG on a show the actors loved. And he overcame vote-splitting too, so saying that vote-splitting is why he won doesn’t necessarily make sense to me.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And he overcame vote-splitting too, so saying that vote-splitting is why he won doesn’t necessarily make sense to me.

I didn’t say that’s why Crudup (or Newton or Garner) won lmao. More that people like Kieran Culkin and Matthew Macfadyen similarly gave acclaimed and buzzed about performances in the drama series and actor winner but failed to overcome vote-splitting when trying to challenge a strong buzzed about contender from a show that also performed well with actors. I can see the same happening here with Goldstein/Mohammed vs Yang.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

When Paul Reiser wins and this whole conversation becomes nothing.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Ok I finally binged Hacks and I loved it and I have to say if Jane Adams can get a guest actress nomination for THAT then Carl Clemons-Hopkins really isn’t that surprising anymore. I liked a lot of Marcus’ dry interactions with Ava, those made for some really funny moments imo. Jean Smart will be a great lead actress winner, sorry to Kaley even though I’m not ruling her out completely. Hannah Einbinder was also great, clearly a lead as everyone has already pointed out, she might be competition for Hannah Waddingham, even though I still see it in the bag for her especially with Ted Lasso season 2 airing soon.

Looking forward to season 2.

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think The Kominsky Method is winning something
    The actors clearly have a thing for this show, this year without Alan Arkin, it got the most acting nominations ever.

I’m just not sure on who to bet, Freeman has a 4-way split just waiting to happen so i might predict him.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I prefer Hacks to Ted Lasso and I love Einbinder’s performance but Waddingham better not lose sweeties!

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I think The Kominsky Method is winning something The actors clearly have a thing for this show, this year without Alan Arkin, it got the most acting nominations ever. I’m just not sure on who to bet, Freeman has a 4-way split just waiting to happen so i might predict him.

I’m thinking Freeman as well, but watch Paul Reiser somehow win

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Comedy Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.