Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 12)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 514 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca
Victor
  • Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

2020: Julia Garner
    2019: Alex Borstein and Tony Shalhoub
    2018: Regina King
    2017: Kate McKinnon

I understand what you are trying to say, but as someone who predicted all of them except Alex in 2019, I think they had more going for them than being a default pick.

McKinnon was undeniable in 2017 because she had the Hallelujah moment after Hilary lost. No one was beating that.

I really don’t know if anyone else has seen Seven Seconds, but Regina King was outstanding in it. Truly some of her best work. That’s what made me predict her in the end because she really was the best of the group (IMO).

Tony Shalhoub was coming off a SAG win. Plus he was undeniable in Season 2 as well. I guess Alex also had some of her best material in Season 2.

Julia Garner deserved it for Season 3 as well.

I honestly believe Lithgow this year doesn’t match with any of them (including King)

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Regina King was totally namechecked for Seven Seconds.
    Both for the nom and for the win.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Regina King deserved that win huns she was excellent.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Regardless of the quality of the performance, Regina was clearly a name check for Seven Seconds. She wouldn’t have won against an actress in a big series player or with a bigger showcase.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

I will forever be pressed by that win

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Tony Shalhoub was coming off a SAG win. Plus he was undeniable in Season 2 as well. I guess Alex also had some of her best material in Season 2. Julia Garner deserved it for Season 3 as well.

You’ve brought up a strong counter-argument (which has made me re-consider my prediction of Lithgow here as a result of it).

That being said whilst each of these performances were excellent, I do think they benefited from their fields being wide open.

Both Shalhoub and Borstein were competing in fields where shows that were arguably ahead of Maisel in series faced vote-splitting. Colman was coming off an Oscar win and Clifford was a fan-favourite who would later be singled out at the Critics Choice and BAFTAs. Barry had a three way vote-split.

Garner was in a category that lacked a strong frontrunner and was the incumbent winner of a show that was otherwise shut out and subsequently lost at the Globes, SAG and Critics Choice to Gillian Anderson.

I have not seen Seven Seconds but the show was cancelled after one season. I’m sure she was great on the show (Regina is never bad in anything) but the only time King has lost an Emmy was to Laura Dern in Big Little Lies and she had a wide open category. Biel had the most widely seen show but The Sinner was not that strong a contender, Paulson and Falco were name-checks and whilst Dern had a recency factor The Tale lacked wide visibility.

Just like Lovecraft CountryPerry Mason does seem to have garnered a lot of apathy but my prediction of Lithgow is less to do with the show but more with the fact that he has a performance that just like Williams has garnered passion (i.e. he managed to get in at the Critics Choice) but unlike Williams, he’s someone who Emmy voters seem to have a sense of admiration towards. He’s won 6 Emmys and he’s managed to get nominated this year for a one season performance (something we’ve seen the likes of Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tom Pelphrey and Andrew Scott fail to do for shows that either had much stronger actors branch support than Perry Mason or were top 3 in series) in a show that aired way back in the summer of last year and got shut out at SAG. I can see him benefit just like King did due to the field they’re facing and the passion both the performer has individually and the performance they give has amongst those who have seen their shows. Fagbenle, Minghella and Whitford could potentially vote-split, <i>The Mandalorian</i> could potentially not have enough actors branch support to generate a win for a guest performance in supporting, voters could potentially not care for Menzies’ small role in this season of The Crown and Williams could just be like HBC last year before where on paper they sound like surefire contenders but they suffer from apathy towards their shows and voters not really caring for or being aware of their overdue narratives. With all of this in mind I’ve currently defaulted to Lithgow (although I will change this prediction if one of Vance/Dance wins the guest actor prize).

I apologise if some of what I’ve said seems like it makes little sense. I’m just quite exhausted after a long day and have just written everything that was on my mind haha.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Regardless of the quality of the performance, Regina was clearly a name check for Seven Seconds. She wouldn’t have won against an actress in a big series player or with a bigger showcase.

Regina King deserved that win huns she was excellent.

They were robbed.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

They were robbed.

How are you gonna say they were robbed if you haven’t seen Seven Seconds darling?

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Regardless of the quality of the performance, Regina was clearly a name check for Seven Seconds.

I really wouldn’t want to call it JUST a name check win because it’s not like Laura Dern is a random nobody. Or even Michelle Dockery for that matter. Dockery was also in a show that won two other acting awards on the same night.

Regina King was outstanding in that show, and it just doesn’t make sense to me to trivialize her win (and performance) as a simple name check. There were people who voted for her performance as well.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How are you gonna say they were robbed if you haven’t seen Seven Seconds darling?

They were robbed sweetie 👄

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Reis
    Topics:

What is the point? this don’t make much sense lol if it was the case for her, it would be for any other actress who would have won because also there wasn’t a big series player or with a bigger showcase.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

This isn’t aimed at anyone in particular, but a lot of people who claim that Regina’s win was bad haven’t even seen Seven Seconds to have an informed opinion 💀

Whether it was a namecheck or not is a separate discussion, and doesn’t detract from the performance (which was worthy, although I did prefer Dern).

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I really wouldn’t want to call it JUST a name check win because it’s not like Laura Dern is a random nobody. Or even Michelle Dockery for that matter. Dockery was also in a show that won two other acting awards on the same night.

Regina King was outstanding in that show, and it just doesn’t make sense to me to trivialize her win (and performance) as a simple name check. There were people who voted for her performance as well.

I’m not saying she didn’t deserve to win. But she won for a show that was a complete flop and nobody watched (literally one of the reasons why Netflix canceled the show). Not to mention, that category didn’t have a strong frontrunner. It’s true that Michelle Dockery had a strong show, but she wasn’t really that strong considering Daniels got in at SAG, while she didn’t. Wever, in my opinion, benefited from a Versace vote split between Judith and Penélope. For example, Regina wouldn’t have won over people like Michelle Williams, Sarah Paulson or Nicole Kidman. And I also think Amy Adams (Sharp Objects) and Kirsten Dunst (Fargo) would’ve won over her. She clearly won due to that category being so weak and everyone lacking in passion or buzz.

Profile picture
    Paul.wm
    Topics:

Honestly, Falco Paulson, Dern, and King were all probably name checked in the category that year. Godless was clearly watched, and Biel I have no idea. Acclaimed performance, however, the show got little to nothing else.

FYC: The Underground Railroad, Barry Jenkins, The Crown, Tobias Menzies, Helena Bonham Carter, Emily In Paris(for chaos’s sake)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Biel was my favorite in that lineup. I thought she was absolutely phenomenal on The Sinner. I have not seen Seven Seconds as a whole but have seen clips, in which King was phenomenal. And the people who have seen the entire thing can confirm that she’s amazing in it. I do, however, think being Regina King ultimately pushed her over the finish line.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.