Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Yes but Sandra Oh won SAG and the Globe for Grey’s Anatomy before Critics Choice started handing out awards for television so I guess you could say she swept too. So John Lithgow is the first to win the individual Drama Actor SAG for a male supporting role and Gillian is the first supporting actress to win all three of the Globe, CC and SAG. Whomever is playing Tony Blair will probably sweep based on their casting rather than their performance lol.

FINGERS CROSSED FOR DAVID TENNANT

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FINGERS CROSSED FOR DAVID TENNANT

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Marketing for The Mosquito Coast is moving to deemphasize Melissa George. Maybe she goes supporting?  The first image has been replaced by the second on the press site, but she looked so cool 🙁

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Wtf is this design. It looks horrendous.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

Drama winners

* Best Dramaseries: The Crown.

* Best Drama Actor: Anthony Starr – The Boys.

* Best Drama Actress: Emma Corrin – The Crown.

* Best Drama Supporting Actor: Michael K. Williams – Lovecraft Country.

* Best Drama Supporting Actress: Gillian Anderson – The Crown.

* Best Drama Guest Actor: IDK.

* Best Drama Guest Actress: Rosario Dawson – The Mandalorian.

* Best Drama Directing: The Mandalorian.

* Best Drama Writing: The Crown.

* Best Score: The Mandalorian.

* Best Casting: The Crown.

* Best Film Editing: The Mandalorian.

* Best Costume design: The Crown.

* Best Sound Editing: The Mandalorian.

* Best Sound Mixing: The Mandalorian.

* Best Stuntwork: The Mandalorian.

* Best Production design: The Crown.

* Best Make-up: Lovecraft Country.

* Best Visual Effects: The Mandalorian or WandaVision.

Most Wins.

1. The Crown: 7.

1. The Mandalorian: 7.

3. Lovecraft Country: 2.

4. The Boys: 1.

Who think you that the most awards wins?

I think that it The Mando Vs The Crown is!

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Best Drama Actor: Anthony Starr – The Boys.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

* Best Drama Actor: Anthony Starr – The Boys.

how?

Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

how?

I hope it!

Profile picture
    Gaceru
    Topics:

Drama Series 2021 Emmys Predictions & Contenders

They have The Equalizer as “possible” lol

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I very briefly wondered about Queen Latifah making it in, but pushed that thought aside as quick as I thought it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve been quite bullish about her chances (having her as high as third) but I am now starting to see a path for Elisabeth Moss to miss the nomination again.

She’s already starting off below Emma Corrin and Olivia Colman so through conventional wisdom, Moss is already in a precarious position. Sure she can benefit from a fragmented field but is the field really that fragmented for someone in a show that Emmy voters clearly didn’t care for at all last year to make it back in?

Uzo Aduba is Uzo Aduba. The actors branch love her to death and now she’s playing an iteration of an Emmy nominated role in a show we know the actors branch favour more in retrospect to the other branches of the TV Academy.  It’s also a show that has surprisingly been doing really well on streaming during the lockdown. It’s a show that whilst a revival, is a complete reboot at the same time. And it’s one that (if executed well) will likely make waves for its treatment (pun unintended) of mental health issues during an important time in which it’s being discussed in retrospect to the pandemic.

There is potential for MJ Rodriguez to be this year’s “surprise” nominee. She’ll have a final season narrative that can propel her to a nomination, the discussion around the representation of trans actors is one that is only growing and considering the trajectory of her show’s storyline, she’ll probably have strong enough material. Unless this season of Pose flops or her work is somehow received poorly (both of which I’d be surprised by but as a Pose fan you might not want to take my word too seriously on that matter) there will be lots of opinion pieces from pundits around how she deserves a nomination. FX will get her to participate in magazine covers and roundtables in which the historic nature of her nomination will be quite a big topic of contention. I actually think she’ll make TCA this year. Does this mean she’ll win the Emmy? No, I still think Corrin probably has it in the bag. But she has a lot going for her to get the nomination.

I’ve been quite sceptical about Jurnee Smollett and Phoebe Dynevor making it in (I have the former in 6th) because of their performance at the winter awards but there are arguments to be made for both. There’s an argument to be made that considering their shows made ensemble at SAG and (especially in the latter’s case) that they were next in line. I’m not sure about Lovecraft but Bridgerton at this point is probably ahead of <i>The Handmaid’s </i><i>Tale </i>in Series so it’s not implausible for Dynevor to coattail. Jurnee Smollett is arguably the breakout star of <i>Lovecraft Country</i>.

Then you have Mandy Moore, Sarah Paulson and Billie Piper.

Witherspoon was probably 7th last year considering how well The Morning Show did but both The Handmaid’s Tale and This is Us arguably did just as well as each other with the actors branch. In fact there’s an argument to be made that <i>This is Us </i>performed even stronger than The Handmaid’s Tale did with the actors because Ron Cephas Jones won again (and I know that was a name-check but they could have ignored him like they did with Alexis Bledel in guest actress). Mandy Moore got in two years ago but it could have been because she has been surging in support rather than purely because of a weaker field. So whilst she missed last year it could have been purely due to how competitive the field was rather than how weak she was. The goodwill from her from the previous seasons could propel her to a nomination even though I hear she hardly has any material this season.

Sarah Paulson and Billie Piper are a little sketchier and I do have my doubts about both (I have them in 9th and 8th respectively) but both are in shiny new shows. The former of which was a show that was a massive hit and has Ryan Murphy’s name written on it (which can only help). Whilst the eery comparisons between Paulson and Platt last year are there, Paulson has a lot more going for her than Platt. Firstly she’s Sarah Paulson. The actors branch love her. Does that mean she’ll be nominated for every acting Emmy ever? No and she isn’t invincible as evidenced by her snub last year. But her peers love her and most importantly she’s playing an iconic and immediately recognisable character (something that Ben Platt didn’t have). Billie Piper’s show is one we know the industry is catching up on and she could get an added boost in visibility from BAFTA (although I think I Hate Suzie is likelier to surprise with a Writing nomination than a lead actress nomination).

So it brings me to my original question, what does Moss have? The templates for her are Viola Davis and Julianna Margulies but the former got into a ridiculously weak field (and a weaker one than this one) where Robin Wright got in for a panned season of her show and Emilia Clarke got in for a performance that had a mixed response. So really she needs The Handmaid’s Tale to have a Good Wife season 5 type season to be IN. Can she get nominated if THT doesn’t have that much of a boost in critical reception? Yes. But if that’s the case then it’s also not implausible for her to miss. Someone mentioned how she could be like Maisel in Writing (and I’m applying that logic to my prediction of a Writing snub for Handmaid’s) but she could very well be the Claire Danes to Bradley Whitford’s Mandy Patinkin.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    antony
    Topics:

Pose season 3 trailer.

https://twitter.com/PoseOnFX/status/1379479029913280517?s=20

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Billy Porter is winning again.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

https://theplaylist.net/drama-series-2021-emmys-predictions-contenders-20210406/
    They have The Equalizer as “possible” lol

I very briefly wondered about Queen Latifah making it in, but pushed that thought aside as quick as I thought it.

It’s already got a 2nd season renewal so it’ll probably get a Stunts nom (a la Blacklist).

Wouldn’t be shocked if Latifah campaigns though (like J.Lo did for Shades of Blue S1 or Gurira for Walking Dead a couple years ago)

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.