Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 504 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
hopelesstar
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I feel like it’s been months since we’ve heard anything about the In Treatment revival. I believe it’s meant to be coming out in May and we don’t even have a teaser.

Emmy FYC!!: Pen15, Mare of Easttown, The Crown and The Handmaid’s Tale in all categories.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

It’s a pity the Academy doesn’t watch Snowpiercer. Really good show and a big turn after that awful start last season.

Sean Bean, Jennifer Connelly and Alison Wright deserved recognition. Bean and Wright aren’t even on the predictions center.

I’m not expecting it to be nominated for anything apart from Costumes and Stunts.

And the Shadow and Bone embargo wil be lifted two days before the premiere. Is this common or is it a bad sign ?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And the Shadow and Bone embargo wil be lifted two days before the premiere. Is this common or is it a bad sign ?

Hard to tell. It has been a habit of Netflix to do such a thing recently (I believe the embargo for The Queen’s Gambit was lifted a few days before its premiere for example) so it’s perhaps unsurprising that this is the case for Netflix’s next high profile fantasy show. However this usually (for any show on any network) would suggest that they aren’t very confident in the quality of the show and are putting the embargo as close to the release as they can in order to not generate bad buzz.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I wish we could just skip to next season when we’ll have a full slate of shows again. Watching Emma Corrin complete her sweep will be delightful though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Next season will be JAM PACKED in all three of comedy, drama and limited.

I mean look at the shows that will be airing in drama:

– Better Call Saul season 6 (final season)
    – Bridgerton season 2
    – Euphoria season 3
    – The Gilded Age season 1
    – The Handmaid’s Tale season 5
    – The House of the Dragon season 1
    – Killing Eve season 4 (final season)
    – Loki season 1
    – Lord of the Rings season 1
    – The Mandalorian season 3
    – The Morning Show season 2
    – Ozark season 4 (final season)
    – Severance season 1 (new Patricia Arquette/Ben Stiller drama)
    – Stranger Things season 4
    – Succession season 3
    – Suspicion season 1 (new Uma Thurman drama)
    – The Time Traveller’s Wife season 1
    – The Wheel of Time season 1

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Shadow and Bone trailer has come out earlier btw

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

“Psst. My agent said if I play a wife in this show that I will win the Guest Actress Emmy”

Honestly I love her
    Should’ve been a Supporting nominee at Limited for her outstanding work on Hill House

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

IndieWire preditctions

Predicted Nominees:

“The Crown” (Netflix)
    “The Mandalorian” (Disney+)
    “The Handmaid’s Tale” (Hulu)
    “This Is Us” (NBC)
    “Bridgerton” (Netflix)
    “Lovecraft Country” (HBO)
    “Perry Mason” (HBO)
    “The Boys” (Amazon Prime)

Contenders: “In Treatment,” “Pose,” “P-Valley,” “The Mosquito Coast,” “Ratched,” “Yellowstone,” “The Alienist: Angel of Darkness,” “Industry”

In a Perfect World: “We Are Who We Are,” “All Creatures Great and Small,” “Billions”

Emmy Predictions: Best Drama Series — All Wrapped Up, or a Three-Way Race?

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

The Boys is getting a writing spot, I’m 95% sure about that.
    And it totally deserves a series nod as well and it’s battling for it.

Perry Mason can happen a la Stranger Things because it seems to have craft support from the creative guilds, but it’s the weakest for the IndieWire lineup and it will probably miss since we have stronger contenders coming.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Boys can very easily happen. It has a WGA nod for Drama Series (something Lovecraft CountryPerry Mason and Bridgerton do not have).

Amazon seem to be campaigning for it, it’s a weak field and it’s such a popular zeitgeisty show. I don’t think it’s implausible for it to happen like Bodyguard (a populist choice with an acclaimed lead performance that only gets nominated for Drama Series + Drama Writing).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

1. Gillian Anderson, The Crown – Honestly the only reason I’m not calling her a lock for the win is because it’s almost April. But frankly who else is there to beat her? There doesn’t seem to be a Julia Garner to her Lena Headey. Am I a Gillian fan? Yes. Do I like her performance? Yes. Do I think she deserves to win? Probably. Do I think she deserves to win without any competition? Maybe not. But it is what it is.

2. Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown – Her and Samira Wiley are the only incumbent nominees from last year and she’s in the Drama Series frontrunner.

3. Samira Wiley, The Handmaid’s Tale – Her and Helena Bonham Carter are the only incumbent nominees from last year and she’s the standout supporting actress of The Handmaid’s Tale in the eyes of Emmy voters.

————————————————————————————————

4. Erin Doherty, The Crown – She’s essentially the Nicholas Braun type fan favourite of the show, a rising star as well and this is a transformative performance. It helps her that some Emmy voters will be catching up on season 3 and seeing her play this role from the age of fifteen to thirty.

5. Emerald Fennell, The Crown – She seems to have actually participated in a lot of the promotion for this season, she had more material and most importantly this woman is a rising star who will probably end up winning an Oscar this year. She’s got a tonne of buzz right now and I can easily see a world where she gets in over or is even nominated with but ahead of Erin Doherty. The only problem I can see her facing is that Camilla Parker-Bowles isn’t a very sympathetic character and may even be more so after the Shonda Rhimes interview with Meghan and Harry.

6. Adjoa Andoh, <i>Bridgerton </i>– One of the buzzed about supporting players of Bridgerton amongst both critics and audiences and she plays a likeable character with a scene-stealing memorable turn. But most importantly this woman will have a very well placed position on the ballot. Her name will be directly below Gillian Anderson’s. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a situation where only her and Rege Jean-Page make it in at the Emmys.

7. Nicola Coughlan, Bridgerton – We talk about how Rege Jean-Page feels like the Patrick Dempsey of Bridgerton and Phoebe Dynevor feels like the Ellen Pompeo but Nicola Coughlan feels like the Sandra Oh. She’s the young foreign supporting fan favourite and breakout of her show. I’m not sure how well known Sandra Oh was in Canada before Greys Anatomy but it helps Coughlan’s case that she isn’t exactly an unknown like Dynevor and Jean-Page are. At least over here. She played the fan favourite supporting role in a comedy that was massive over here and performed quite well internationally on Netflix.

8. Alexis Bledel, The Handmaid’s Tale – Just like Samira Wiley, she’s one of the few performers from this show to have been nominated for each season. She could miss but the fact that Ann Dowd and Yvonne Strahovski missed for Samira Wiley in the first place when she came from guest to supporting tells me that it’s quite plausible that she could have even been nominated over them in supporting last year if she competed there.

9. Wunmi Mosaku, <i>Lovecraft Country </i>– Showy acclaimed performance and she has a lot of buzz going for her right now because of her BAFTA nomination for <i>His House </i>and she’ll have more visibility later on with A Black Lady Sketch Show.

10. Polly Walker, Bridgerton – She got quite a bit of attention for this, is a seasoned British character actress and she’s more “known” than either Andoh or Coughlan are. She’s in a very good position because of her ballot placement but the character is the least sympathetic of the supporting trio here.

11. Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale – It’s difficult to tell where Dowd is in this race. On the one hand her Oscar buzz for Mass and the weaker field can only help her. On the other it feels like she could be the Archie Panjabi to Samira Wiley’s Christine Baranski. Just like Christine Baranski, Samira Wiley has the more subdued performance and in the first season is one of the more prominent supporting players but she loses to Dowd, who like Panjabi has one of the most buzzed about performances on this buzzy first season show and is a scene-stealer. Then as the show progresses and the Emmys lose interest and start dropping the show from certain categories, it’s Wiley/Baranski who is the one who keeps getting in because she’s the one the Emmys are more smitten with and she’s the one who is always ahead for the nomination. Even though Dowd/Panjabi are given meatier material by the writers for the later seasons of the show than they received for the first seasons of their respective shows.

12. Aunjanue Ellis, Lovecraft Country – It’s a showy performance and one of the most buzzed about ones on Lovecraft and her When They See Us nomination (in lead!!!!) could indicate that she’s someone who garners lots of respect from her peers. The only reason I don’t have her in is because I’m still quite sceptical about how the Emmys will take to Lovecraft and this is a competitive field when it comes to nominations.

13. Cynthia Nixon, Ratched – Could very well be the Judith Light of this year to Sarah Paulson’s Ben Platt and Sophie Okonedo’s Bette Midler . Acclaimed performance from a veteran currently going through a career resurgence. However, she’s arguably a more familiar face than Light to Emmy voters though and she could be aided by the buzz for the Sex and the City spin off and the fact that she’ll have a key role in The Gilded Age (which might be airing during Emmy voting but for next season). She got a Golden Globe nomination so there’s not reason to think it’s completely implausible that she gets in. And I say this as someone who is quite sceptical about Paulson getting in. It helps that as we’ve seen last year, Emmy voters tend to gravitate towards actors from Ryan Murphy projects and especially in more open fields. So if The Handmaid’s Tale over-performs again or <i>Bridgerton </i>or Lovecraft don’t do that well with the actors branch I can see her slipping in. I think it merits mentioning that she’s probably the only part of her show that received universal acclaim.

14. Yvonne Strahovski, The Handmaid’s Tale – Perhaps I’m auto adjusting due to  my bias towards Strahovski’s work on the show but I’m honestly quite sceptical about her returning. She could be ahead of Ann Dowd but she’s certainly not ahead of Samira Wiley and I’m sceptical about her being ahead of Alexis Bledel. I’ve heard arguments suggesting that if <i>The Handmaid’s Tale</i> experiences a revival with the actors branch like This is Us did when <i>Game of Thrones </i>dominated a weaker field for its final season that she could be picked up for the ride again but it’s worth mentioning that even when <i>This is Us </i>had its resurgence that year, neither Chrissy Metz wasn’t picked up for the ride. Nor was Susan Kelechi Watson. The only time Strahovski has actually made it in was when The Handmaid’s Tale got 3 supporting actresses nominated. And that was when she had material that was widely considered to be undeniable (I also personally thought she deserved to win last year but whatever) and when The Handmaid’s Tale was the drama series frontrunner and had the benefit of still being the shiny new kid on the block. Strahovski could yet again have strong material to work with, but The Handmaid’s Tale won’t come close to winning Drama Series this year and I doubt it can get three supporting performers in when it’s such a rarity that only series frontrunners tend to achieve.

15. Indya Moore, Pose – Part of my reasoning for predicting MJ Rodriguez is that I think Pose is similar to <i>The Good Place </i>in the sense that it’s a show that the Emmys like more than most awards groups and that like D’Arcy Carden and William Jackson Harper, the actors are next in line and benefit when there is a more open field. So I guess she could happen? That only problem I have is that the field is still quite competitive for the nomination and that the Emmys could try and redeem themselves for their ignorance of trans performers by just nominating MJ Rodriguez.

16. Chrissy Metz, This is Us – There did seem to be strong buzz for her work this season (I haven’t seen this season), her star has risen and this is a show we can’t rule out Emmy voters from falling back open. That being said it doesn’t help that she couldn’t get nominated in 2019 during an arguably weaker field where This is Us had stronger buzz and support.

17. Tatiana Maslany, Perry Mason – Honestly I only really see a 5% chance she happens. It’s an excellent performance and she’s a recognisable face to Emmy voters but she doesn’t appear in the show until the second episode (which let’s face it there’s a chance some Emmy voters might have given up after the first even if they might have liked Mathew Rhys’ performance) and her material gradually develops. The Cynthia Erivo in The Outsider of this year.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The way Supporting Actress could be 7 actresses from The Crown and 1 other person and Gillian would probably still win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It feels weird how Gillian Anderson essentially was ignored by these awards bodies for years and years when she delivered acting masterclasses in Hannibal, Bleak HouseAmerican Gods, Great ExpectationsWar and Peace and The Fall (one of the best lead performances this century) and now out of nowhere she’s sweeping without any competition.

I mean I like her performance (I know that’s an unpopular opinion around here) and she’s a phenomenal actress but it’s still quite ironic lol.

Oscars FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Drama Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.