Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Is this just CBS live ratings or is Paramount+ streams included too?

Just CBS
    Also, these are early numbers but it shouldn’t change that much

Sunday TV Ratings: Wellington Paranormal, To Tell The Truth, Fantasy Island, NFL Football, Emmy Awards

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ratings wise 2020: 6.1 million, 1.2 targeted demo 2021: 6.3 million, 1.5 targeted demo We’re on the rise again people.

The Oscars could never.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can’t say I blame her. The Crown season 4 was great but it didn’t deserve to enter the history books.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The Brits dominated the acting and writing categories in the same vein as they dominated the acting and screenplay categories at the Oscars.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

While I do get where you are coming from, that’s a very false equivalence imo. Someone who is very much not into heteronormative stuff and openly supports things that challenge it (contrary to Couverture, the chest binder thing was a big talking point, at least in my community) is not really comparable to the person who says she leads an actively heterosexual lifestyle for example. Might be just me but I wasn’t even aware of the Gillian thing.

There are still levels of queerness that people find acceptable. That’s partly why I found Porter’s win so significantly huge and groundbreaking.

Do not think Corrin lost or Colman won necessarily because of this alone but I can see where the point originally came from.

Also, three cis straight white men winning is not how you wanna go about arguing against any existing biases lol.

Most voters couldn’t care less. It’s people who overthink these things and make it into a big deal everytime someone they predict to win fail to win. All I can say is, neither Billy Porter nor MJ Rodriguez deserved to win this year and it has nothing to do with a homophobic or gender-biased Academy. And you may indulge and talk yourself into a corner as to why Emma Corrin, and by extension, Evan Rachel Wood in the past, and maybe Kristen Stewart in the future, won’t win because they came out as queer or bisexual.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

No way. I’ve watched it like 5 times now since I noticed and it’s an absolute eye roll. Can’t say I blame her. The Crown season 4 was great but it didn’t deserve to enter the history books.

Josh was one of the most deserving wins of The Crown. And he definitely deserved that win.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Did you all realise that 3 future Dames won tonight?

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The Crown is only 3 Emmys away from joining Breaking Bad, The West Wing and The Sopranos as the drama series with the most above the line acting wins.

Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

I completely agree.

Although I can make a good case for how Michaela could have won, and even Anya had an extremely strong and unique performance, Kate has far and away the strongest performance for me, with Michaela close behind, and Anya a distant third.

Whomever said Kate’s win will live in infamy is clearly out of his mind. This award is for the Best Actress of the year, not the flavor of the month, nor is it the Emmy for the best political agenda award to elevate the status of minority actors or LGBTQ actors unless their performances happen to be the best.

Kate Winslet might have won too many awards in her career, leading people to think she’s a “boring” choice, but it doesn’t change the fact that this “boring” choice is also a magnificent choice. Go find your infamy somewhere else. No one is losing sleep.

Call me in 10 years when everyone’s forgotten Mare of Easttown even exists and The Queen’s Gambit is still a classic. They blew it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Some WandaVision supporters are so vicious on Twitter.

In a way I am shocked by WandaVision‘s shut out (although I’m kind of glad Hahn lost because Nicholson was so so deserving) but at the end of the day I think it goes to say that when it comes to the win (or even the nomination) “popularity” isn’t he defining factor. It’s appeal.

<i>The Umbrella Academy</i> and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier are both massive hits but you’re not going to see above the line nominations for them because they ultimately lack high-brow or even widespread appeal. The Mandalorian and Cobra Kai are both spin offs of intellectual properties that multiple generations have grown up on, there’s a sentimental factor behind them. The Boys is a satire on superheroes and the political time we’re in at the moment. Watchmen had strong social commentary.

WandaVision ultimately had enough high brow appeal to get nominated with its homage to television and its commentary on grief but it wasn’t enough to overcome a drama from a rising talent from the UK about consent and her own experiences after being raped, a HBO prestige murder-mystery starring one of the most respected names in the business set in a contemporary Pennsylvanian town that also has a focus on healing or a lavish period piece where a chess player battles isolation, grief and drug addiction to become the best at her craft. Once you get nominated mainstream popularity isn’t that important.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Josh was one of the most deserving wins of The Crown. And he definitely deserved that win.

I think she was just tired of hearing
    The Crown, The Crown, The Crown, The Crown lol.
    I don’t think it’s about Josh.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Out of everyone from the Crown S4,I think Josh’s job was the toughest- making Prince Charles sympathetic.

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

Call me in 10 years when everyone’s forgotten Mare of Easttown even exists and The Queen’s Gambit is still a classic. They blew it.

Call me in 15 years when no one did. Just because you said they blew it doesn’t mean they did. Just because you are a psychic doesn’t mean… you are a good psychic 😂

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Where did I say otherwise? I was glad for O’Connor (even if he pales in comparison to Porter) as he’s been my runner-up for both of his seasons. My point was more that I can understand someone being like “ugh The Crown, again” last night given that it didn’t deserve to be a record breaker. I’m surprised to see resistance to my comment tbh. Surely no one here thinks season 4, as good as it was, to be an all-time great season of television?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think she was just tired of hearing The Crown, The Crown, The Crown, The Crown lol. I don’t think it’s about Josh.

I guess it was a bit like Ramy Youssef last year when Schitt’s Creek won actor.

I wonder how people reacted when <i>Angels in America </i>swept? Was there a lot of universal praise because it was undeniable (I haven’t seen the show yet, although I am familiar with the play).

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.