Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 520 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Speaking of reactions though: did everyone see how Lizzie Olsen, Michaela Coel and Cynthia Erivo all cheered for Kate when she won? We look at these reactions too closely, but I loved it.

I loved how Olsen was really cheering for every winner on the limited side. She also cheered quite a bit for Michaela.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Where did I say otherwise? I was glad for O’Connor (even if he pales in comparison to Porter) as he’s been my runner-up for both of his seasons. My point was more that I can understand someone being like “ugh The Crown, again” last night given that it didn’t deserve to be a record breaker. I’m surprised to see resistance to my comment tbh. Surely no one here thinks season 4, as good as it was, to be an all-time great season of television?

Does it need to be an all-time great season, when the rest of the competition wasn’t there?! Even TCA, which clearly doesn’t like the show, still gave it Drama series. I do agree Menzies winning was a stretch but The Crown pulling a Schitt’s Creek was always a huge possibility, considering its competition had zero passion. Schitt’s Creek didn’t deserve to make history either, and it did.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I loved how Olsen was really cheering for every winner on the limited side. She also cheered quite a bit for Michaela.

Ob, everyone cheered for Michaela. For good reason.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I wonder how people reacted when <i>Angels in America </i>swept? Was there a lot of universal praise because it was undeniable (I haven’t seen the show yet, although I am familiar with the play).

“Angels in America” was REVERED on Goldderby at the time. This all happened pre-social media, so that gauge can’t be used, but people here were very happy over its sweep. The main controversy was the overwhelming desire for Justin Kirk to win an Emmy in lead actor over Al Pacino. As a relative unknown back then, Kirk was submitted in supporting actor and lost to Jeffrey Wright, who was always going to win there. The sweep was celebrated regardless.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I don’t really follow the structure of royal family appointed achievements but can Gillian even become a dame considering she was born in the US?

She has an OBE so i think so

FYC OSCARS

Olivia Colman, Benedict Cumberbatch

Mass in all categories including Ann Dowd, Martha Plimpton, Jason Isaacs, Reed Birney

FYC WINTER TV AWARDS

Landscapers, Mare of Easttown, The White Lotus in all categories

Ted Lasso in all categories

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I don’t really follow the structure of royal family appointed achievements but can Gillian even become a dame considering she was born in the US?

I think British citizens are eligble to be Dames and Sires, regardless of nationality/place of birth.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

“Angels in America” was REVERED on Goldderby at the time. This all happened pre-social media, so that gauge can’t be used, but people here were very happy over its sweep. The main controversy was the overwhelming desire for Justin Kirk to win an Emmy in lead actor over Al Pacino. As a relative unknown back then, Kirk was submitted in supporting actor and lost to Jeffrey Wright, who was always going to win there. The sweep was celebrated regardless.

I didn’t even know Goldderby existed back in early 2000s

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

She is already an OBE, so presumably, yes.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Angels in America totally deserved the sweep
    But Meryl Streep over Emma Thompson was a choice, Al Pacino is very good but he is barely a lead.

It's all about Ethan Hawke!

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Does it need to be an all-time great season, when the rest of the competition wasn’t there?! Even TCA, which clearly doesn’t like the show, still gave it Drama series. I do agree Menzies winning was a stretch but The Crown pulling a Schitt’s Creek was always a huge possibility, considering its competition had zero passion. Schitt’s Creek didn’t deserve to make history either, and it did.

Does it need to be? No. Is it a shame that it was able to use a weak year to sweep? Yes. Plus, and I’m going to veer into territory you guys aren’t gonna like now, but when two of your wins are a queen that lacks gravitas and a strained, weak Margaret Thatcher then the “competition wasn’t there” line doesn’t quite cut it for me. As mentioned last night, I’ll give Menzies are free pass as he was outstanding in season 3 and only let down by material in 4.

Schitt’s Creek was at least groundbreaking in its portrayal of gay relationships so that makes sense to me.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I didn’t even know Goldderby existed back in early 2000s

It most certainly was.

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

Especially after last year when they rewarded Zendaya, King, Abdul-Mateen II and made that whole speech about diversity and opportunity. Guess it only lasted one season.

Those actors won last year not because the voters cared about diversity, but because they genuinely thought those performances were the best in their respective categories last year. Giving minority actors patronizing consolation prizes just because they are minority actors is actually quite offensive. So get over it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ob, everyone cheered for Michaela. For good reason.

The audience really showed TASTE with those three standing ovations for Jean, Kate and Michaela.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

A MCU television series is never getting nominated again at the Emmys unless it’s significantly more creative and thematically profound than WandaVision which is doubtful. At the end of the day, Bettany was probably a filler nomination so the Best Actor in Limited Series lineup didn’t have all nominees whose show did not get a limited series nomination. Hanh losing is more indicative of MCU character roles, including villain, failing to overcome more prestigious performances.

I think the MCU need to pick their battles or concede that nominations are possible  but wins are going to be very hard. Submitting in comedy where appropriate is probably their best bet. Watchmen did prove comic stuff is not impossible, but it needs to be properly adult and/or resonant.

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

Does it need to be? No. Is it a shame that it was able to use a weak year to sweep? Yes. Plus, and I’m going to veer into territory you guys aren’t gonna like now, but when two of your wins are a queen that lacks gravitas and a strained, weak Margaret Thatcher then the “competition wasn’t there” line doesn’t quite cut it for me. As mentioned last night, I’ll give Menzies are free pass as he was outstanding in season 3 and only let down by material in 4.

Schitt’s Creek was at least groundbreaking in its portrayal of gay relationships so that makes sense to me.

Most people don’t think the Margaret Thatcher performance was strained and weak. Including yours truly. I thought she was quite magnificent actually. And if she had been in contention last year, she would still have handily won the Emmy against Julia Garner.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.