Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Those actors won last year not because the voters cared about diversity, but because they genuinely thought those performances were the best in their respective categories last year. Giving minority actors patronizing consolation prizes just because they are minority actors is actually quite offensive. So get over it.

This is boring now, no they don’t think like that
    No one looked at Tobias Menzies or Olivia Colman and said “Wow, they are way more deserving than MJ Rodriguez and MKW”
    They just followed the sweep train.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

“Angels in America” was REVERED on Goldderby at the time. This all happened pre-social media, so that gauge can’t be used, but people here were very happy over its sweep. The main controversy was the overwhelming desire for Justin Kirk to win an Emmy in lead actor over Al Pacino. As a relative unknown back then, Kirk was submitted in supporting actor and lost to Jeffrey Wright, who was always going to win there. The sweep was celebrated regardless.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

This is boring now, no they don’t think like that
    No one looked at Tobias Menzies or Olivia Colman and said “Wow, they are way more deserving than MJ Rodriguez and MKW”
    They just followed the sweep train.

I thought a moment ago, you were just saying that MJ and MKW lost because the Emmys people didn’t care for diversity or giving minority actors any opportunity. So now MJ and MKW lost because it’s a sweep train instead?

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Lol I just wanna say, i loved this season, hated the end but it was worth it
    I pretty much gained 4000 posts on this side this season alone, wolfali I’m coming for your total soon.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I thought a moment ago, you were just saying that MJ and MKW lost because the Emmys people didn’t care for diversity or giving minority actors any opportunity. So now MJ and MKW lost because it’s a sweep train instead?

Did I say that? When?

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I can’t believe Kate Winslet isn’t a Dame already. Is there any minimum age limit for Dame-appointments or what?

I don’t think so, but I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head who wasn’t at least 50. Judi Dench wasn’t much older than that, though.

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

Did I say that? When?

Oh. Sorry. That was lorelai_lor whose original post I disagreed with and replied to. My reply that you found “boring”. Sorry for mistaking that to be you and sorry for being “boring”.

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I mentioned last night that I find Colman’s win wildly inexplicable and I was going to share my theory on how it happened, but hopelesstar had the same thinking, greatly explained on the first page of this thread. Basically, Corrin and Rodriguez, not Colman, split the votes of a younger group of the voters, which makes you wonder what’s the percentage behind Colman’s victory. If Zendaya was facing someone like Corrin or Rodriguez, we probably would’ve seen Linney take the Emmy.

Overall, I think we have a good set of winners. Sweeps are never ideal, but I’m not sure how to fix it. Nicholson, Coel, Smart and O’Connor are on top of my favorite wins of the night. By the way, O’Connor had the most brilliant clip. Speaking of, the Emmys never learn – Actor included clips, Actress didn’t.

Probably controversial, but I’m tired of the uproar of not enough people of color winning. We had perhaps the most diverse lineup ever, but at the same time the biggest shows of the year were all-white, so voters should maybe try to watch more. Putting pressure on voting for diverse picks could easily pave the way for next year’s Page and Odom Jr. to win, even though both are undeserving (for different reasons). MKW’s loss is indeed a shameful thing to happen.

I finished #49, which I’d say is great considering how crazy some categories were. I had Colman dead last! 💀 I wasn’t expecting to top last year’s #4, so I went riskier, which didn’t pay off with Essiedu. I never understood (and still don’t) how Peters catapulted to the win, but I’m not holding anything against him. I did feel bad for ATJ and Corrin, though. Don’t get me started on Hamilton.

I don’t usually act on gut feelings and it backfired this year with “War”, Nicholson and McGregor. “War” made sense because it’s more of an ensemble episode, but “Fairytale” seemed stronger. The Creative Arts didn’t boost Mare of Easttown, so I wasn’t sure Nicholson would prevail, especially with Smart there, too. On the topic of Creative Arts, there was no reasonable argument to predict acting support for The Queen’s Gambit, especially not to predict Brodie-Sangster.

Almost forget, my most prideful prediction was Hacks for both Directing and Writing! That was exhilarating! Gotta mention, those three wins no matter how big, don’t mean the show was a serious threat for Series. By the way the three co-creators looked like very annoying LA people!

I probably forgot to include another thought, but it’s already clogging the thread. Let’s hope for a more competitive 2022 Emmy season!

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Ultimate Final Reactions:

The Emmys need to go back to a jury panel for nominations.

I think next year with FYC events and more competition in the mix there will be less sweeps, which will be a good thing, even though those sweeps by The Crown this year and Schitt’s Creek last year weren’t undeserving.

I personally preferred Olivia Colman, so I was happy to see her win.

While its not great that no POC acting nominees prevailed, personally, the only ones that I thought were deserving of wins were Michael K Williams (who was ROBBED. Period.) and Michaela Coel (who at least won writing!).

Also, happy to see The Queen’s Gambit win Series. Sad Anya lost, but she was up against Winslet and a lot of other tough competition. Next time!

Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I did forget to mention something. Last night very likely secured a second season for limited series Mare of Easttown. The Academy has to do something before this becomes a thing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Zendaya was facing someone like Corrin or Rodriguez, we probably would’ve seen Linney take the Emmy.

It also could partly explain how Zendaya’s path to victory was made easier last year as one can argue that Aniston, Colman and Linney all were attracting the same pool of voters which allowed Zendaya to win as the beneficiary of a younger and more “progressive” vote.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

If voters picked Colman over Corrin (ugh) from the same show, then I doubt they had trouble doing the same with the other ladies. Still can’t wrap my head around it but it is what it is sadly.

Menzies seems like the only one who coattailed.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

It also could partly explain how Zendaya’s path to victory was made easier last year as one can argue that Aniston, Colman and Linney all were attracting the same pool of voters which allowed Zendaya to win as the beneficiary of a younger and more “progressive” vote.

Thats what I already thought last year. There was no frontrunner between those 3 (Colman had GG, Aniston SAG and Linney the most recent performance and she’s an Emmy fav) which allowed  Zendaya to split in. If we have something to learn for next year is to consider the demographic of voters each nominee is  attracting. I already assumed last year that Snook would not win because she is mostly attracting the same type of voters as Garner (men) with the latter having a more relatable character.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I just realized that Brett Goldstein speech is the only one not on the TV Academy’s channel 💀
    Probably because he cursed two times.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I just realized that Brett Goldstein speech is the only one not on the TV Academy’s channel 💀
    Probably because he cursed two times.

Julianne Nicholson isn’t there either for some reason.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.