Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Strong disagree. It applies to all of the Drama and Comedy winners this year. Even if some of the winners absolutely would have won anyway the weak field is what made so many categories uncompetitive. We had more locks this year than ever before. You do love to say arguments are overused when you don’t agree with them though Wolfali 😉

I don’t disagree that the weakness of the fields in drama and comedy essentially guaranteed The Crown and, to a lesser extent (it did lose writing and directing after all), Ted Lasso series wins but ultimately we have no real way of knowing how well each of them would have done with stronger competition. Would Brett Goldstein and Tobias Menzies have won so easily in their barren fields had Tony Shalhoub and Billy Crudup been eligible? Probably not. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they wouldn’t have been in the conversation.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The plan was to end with 3 seasons, that was before it became this massive hit. They haven’t revisited the matter yet.

Honestly I’d rather they stick with the three season plan and end the show where they creatively feel it’s best suited too than buckle to Apple’s commercial interests.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Honestly I’d rather they stick with the three season plan and end the show where they creatively feel it’s best suited too than buckle to Apple’s commercial interests.

Totally agree.

Profile picture
    RichardAniston
    Topics:

Disappointed (and kind of shocked) that Anya didn’t win Limited Series Actress. I thought she was a lock. She was so good in QG.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

We had more locks this year than ever before

Not really. The actual locks were around the same as last year from what I can remember.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Not really. The actual locks were around the same as last year from what I can remember.

Just tallied it and yeah I have eight locks for last year as well tbf so good point

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I don’t disagree, but at the same time, the serialization of the show is not really its chief element. The series is, at its core, a workplace comedy, and now that we all know and love these characters I don’t see why we couldn’t get a few more seasons with them like a sitcom.

This doesn’t remind me of other shows where the plot would really wear thin after a third season.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t disagree, but at the same time, the serialization of the show is not really its chief element. The series is, at its core, a workplace comedy, and now that we all know and love these characters I don’t see why we couldn’t get a few more seasons with them like a sitcom. This doesn’t remind me of other shows where the plot would really wear thin after a third season.

That is a fair point but at the end of the day one of the strongest aspects of the show is it’s more or less a journey in character development. Ted Lasso as a character himself is learning (at times successfully, at times unsuccessfully) how to coach a sport he’s never been that familiar with whilst trying to win over sceptics about his inability to coach the sport with his optimistic demeanour. Those sceptics with Ted’s presence (inadvertently) in turn learn to become “better versions of themselves” when grappling with difficult moments in their lives (e.g. Rebecca’s grief after Rupert’s affair, Keeley’s journey to becoming an independent woman etc).

I guess they could re-hash their plans with each of these characters and with the journey the football club undertakes with Ted’s leadership as a coach and add on another season or two but if the show doesn’t really have anything to say with its characters, I’d rather it stick to its 3 season plan instead of losing its charm because its producers have more interest in the show’s commercial value.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

A little bit shocked that I came #50. Extremely glad my Hacks in Writing/Directing and Julianne Nicholson hopedictions allowed me to rise. There’s nothing better than predicting correctly on things you’re actually rooting for.

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

What I know is that the Emmys are similar to the Grammys. We truly never know who’s going to win until they do.

I was upset yesterday but then, I realized that its only an award show.

Profile picture
    Wolvie13
    Topics:

I just saw it and what a great reaction from Coel when Scott won directing. 👏🏻👏🏻

Profile picture
    perfectly weird
    Topics:

I came #1 in the prediction centre and just wanted to thank everyone that regularly posts in these forums! I don’t post here often (english isn’t my first language), but I come here every day to see what everybody has to say and it is one of my favourite parts of the day. Thank you all for always being so entertaining and humorous, but still nice and insightful! Thank you for letting me “steal” all of your ideas! 😉

Profile picture
    Wolvie13
    Topics:

Also, kinda of weird that some people react (as they should) to the hatred in social media from fans of one show towards another, when at the same time they stay neutral to awfully insulting comments in here. I guess it comes down to whether the insult is about the show we like or not, right? We ve got a word (that I like a lot) in my mother language about those kind of attitude but I think I all keep it to myself

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I came #1 in the prediction centre and just wanted to thank everyone that regularly posts in these forums! I don’t post here often (english isn’t my first language), but I come here every day to see what everybody has to say and it is one of my favourite parts of the day. Thank you all for always being so entertaining and humorous, but still nice and insightful! Thank you for letting me “steal” all of your ideas! 😉

Congrats!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

A little bit shocked that I came #50. Extremely glad my Hacks in Writing/Directing and Julianne Nicholson hopedictions allowed me to rise. There’s nothing better than predicting correctly on things you’re actually rooting for.

Congratulations!

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.