Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 520 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Imagine if Mare/Lovecraft swapped places. Winslet beats Colman. HBO’s Mare vs. Netflix’s Crown Evan Peters vs. Tobias Menzies Craig Zobel vs. Jessica Hobbs Brad Ingelsby vs. Peter Morgan. Jonathan Majors vs. Ewan McGregor Michael K Williams, Emmy Winner! Aunjanue Ellis vs. Kathryn Hahn

If this swap would’ve happened Mare would’ve gone home empty-handed and Lovecraft would probably have won Actor, Supporting Actor and maybe even Supporting Actress. Anya Taylor-Joy would’ve won Limited Actress.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Im still so shocked about Olivia Colman
    This woman sure knows how to upset, but this one was not it while The Favourite was the best upset ever.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

This is my second year, and I’m happy that there is a huge improvement from last year athough still so far from the top.

Same here
    What really upsets me is that i had literally like every “upset” apart from Colman at 2 or 3
    I had Evan and Ewan TODAY, i had Winslet until the creative arts, urgh, so many wrongs.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Back from the closed thread. 7/7 in two consecutive Emmy calendars is a very troubling sign of what’s to come in the future. Emmy juggernauts or voter laziness? History could have been made for MJ Rodriguez, Bowen Yang, and Michael Kenneth Williams tonight, but that clearly wasn’t the agenda on tap. Sad and dirty, but maybe I should have seen this coming all along. OLIVIA COLMAN??? Wig completely snatched! The wins for “Hacks” were the bright spots in an otherwise expected “Ted Lasso” sweep. I could see these actors repeating for a very long time, and that shouldn’t be the aim of rewarding the totality of television in a given year. Vote splits are a thing until they’re not a thing, it seems. I never would have expected or predicted 3 wins for “Mare.” The actors branch REALLY came through for it, so congratulations to them! Michaela Coel winning was the win of the year for me, since I knew and recognized her brilliance way back in June 2020 and didn’t think that Emmy voters would have long memories. Turns out, they do (sometimes)! The articles are already starting to write themselves with #EmmysSoWhite hot takes. All the “diversity” touted in these nominations inevitably turned into window dressing, and that’s pretty sad. Nice In Memoriam tribute, but the sound issues kinda plagued Bridges & Batiste throughout. Cedric the Entertainer and his uninspired dad jokes were a miss. I hoped that Conan would become our de-facto host instead, since it was clear he was going to be the only wildcard spark of the whole damn ceremony. At least most of the acting clips were maintained, but not seeing nominees’ reaction shots was very disappointing. So many rote winners with “SNL,” “Drag Race,” “John Oliver,” etc. I’ll never not predict them moving forward until they’re off the air, regardless of the competition. The “red-carpet” was fantastic this year with many pulling off all the stops, so yay for that! Debbie Allen’s speech was fantastic! Wild night! More later…

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

If this swap would’ve happened Mare would’ve gone home emptyhanded

No, it would’ve won Drama Lead Actress and Supporting Actor.

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

Strange how like in real life, everyone but Diana won.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Strange how like in real life, everyone but Diana won.

You have no right to hit me like this with this one

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

The Emmys don’t look as woke as they pretend to be in comparison to the Oscars.

They clearly aren’t. 7/8 winners the acting branch awarded at the Creative Arts were people of colour. Yet none won at the main ceremony. A couple of years ago all four guest winners were black but the large majority of winners at the main telecast were white. They award the pocs in the less important categories and save the main ones for their white faves. Consciously or not, they are certainly on some level demarcating between these two groups.

I’d throw out another possible reason for the Colman upset btw. Corrin came out as queer (and later non-binary) only recently so the shift in how she carries herself, her dressing sense, the topic she talks about on social etc could have alienated the more traditional and conservative vote base of The Crown (I assume a significantly large amount). Like a small controversy over her use of and advocacy of chest binders a few months back and such. This might’ve pushed votes towards Colman that weren’t there for her during the winter awards. It’s clear though we underestimated support for her in general.

Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

All I know is that they’re going to regret giving Kate Winslet that award over Anya Taylor-Joy. Mare of Easttown was ultimately a lousy longform police-procedural/mediocre character study. Winslet was fine (I guess), but her performance was definitely kind of one-note. Maybe if the show itself were stronger, I could have been more forgiving. As it stands, I think she benefitted from Easttown’s Flavor-of-the-Month status. At least her win wasn’t as inexplicable as Peters’. The character itself was absurd – why he would be obsessed with this small-town sandwich-munching frump queen is beyond me (same for that other guy…), but I also thought he was slightly miscast.

Meanwhile, my beloved Anya gave a STARMAKING performance with a much more difficult role, in an INSTANT CLASSIC of a show. I am not a TV person – I think, as a whole, the medium pales artistically next to the Stage and the Silver Screen. But I LOVED the Queen’s Gambit. I think it’s going to be around forever. How they could pass up the opportunity to honor an actress who did her very best work (that she probably will never top) in a truly great series, in favor of a slumming, past-her-prime movie star, is fucking beyond my comprehension. This one will go down in infamy folks….

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I disagree here. Corrin was generally agreed to be the main attraction of the season, so she easily should’ve appealed to the older voters who clearly loved the show. She was never seen as the cool pick like we all thought MJ would be imo.

But social media is the place where Corrin was agreed to be the main attraction. Ultimately she had never won an industry award against Olivia, so our guesses that she was far ahead was simply based on the Globes that don’t like repeats and love ingenues aswell as sheeps Critics Choice. The Queen is still a character that’s more appealing to traditional voters than Princess Diana.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Winslet was fine (I guess), but her performance was definitely kind of one-note.

Winslet

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

They clearly aren’t. 7/8 winners the acting branch awarded at the Creative Arts were people of colour. Yet none won at the main ceremony. A couple of years ago all four guest winners were black but the large majority of winners at the main telecast were white. They award the pocs in the less important categories and save the main ones for their white faves. Consciously or not, they are certainly on some level demarcating between these two groups.

That’s it
    I don’t know if they have a wrong mentality of “Let’s award the blacks on this ceremony and our white faves on the main”, but it sure looks like that.

Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

Winslet

I should have been more specific: the one-note I heard was “BORING”.

Profile picture
    Award Chaos
    Topics:

Let me repost my rant here since we changed threads

First of all, I would like to express how much I’m disappointed by this outcome in the Lead Actress category. As everyone knows here, I was deeply rooting for Mj Rodriguez to pull that historic win, not just for the prospect of it, but also because I’ve been a fan of her performance since Pose debuted. The consolation for her loss would have been knowing that another very deserving queer woman, Emma Corrin, won. Of course awards shouldn’t be given simply based on narratives, but it’s still extremely disappointing that the Emmys had the possibility to award one of the two queer women contending, both of them being the frontrunners, and they chose Olivia Colman in a truly bizzare win. It can’t help but to reminds me of how they had the possibility to finally award an Asian actress (who was overdue and the frontrunner after a winter sweep on top of that) and chose her white co-star. At the time it was excused by the fact that Jodie Comer played the fan favorite and the fact that the emmys are more and more leaning towards ingenues, but the losses of Emma Corrin, Anya Taylor-Joy and Kaley Cuoco tonight all go against that. After this ceremony and the extremely white (and cis) winners, The Emmys don’t look as woke as they pretend to be in comparison to the Oscars.

Now, I would like to say how I think Olivia Colman pulled it off. I always thought that contrary to what most here believed, Emma Corrin was not a strong frontrunner and I think that Mj Rodriguez’s nomination dramatically reduced her status as it even more. Ultimately, I believe that both Corrin and Rodriguez attracted the same type of voters. The young, the populist, the social media savy voters. The Tatiana Maslany, Zendaya, Jodie Comer voters. But in this particular year , there was simply not a consensus choice for them to go for. There was not a single Zendaya in the middle of Olivia Colmans or Laura Linneys. Colman, on the other hand, has been attracting the older, conservative voters that were less and less represented throughout the years in this category. And she had all of them for herself this time, because ultimately I believe no one was really voting for THT to win anything this year and no one watched In Treatment to allow Aduba to take some votes.

Girl, I’m gay and love variety but I don’t want someone to win just because they’re queer, I want them to win because they are totally deserving. Wanting a queer performer to win because they are queer is a disservice to their talent.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

with a much more difficult role, 

Well, the thing about Winslet is that she makes every role that she does harder than it’s supposed to be. Her preparation is very well-known among actors as a rigid and a extensive one, and she really did that with Mare. Not a single bit of gesture and emotion escape her awareness. It was a very polished performance that raised the whole conversation about the character, bringing the depth and layers that I don’t think Anya portrayed in her show eventhough she’s on screen every single time. I deeply appreciate Anya’s performance since it really is a star-making turn, and while I think Michaela should’ve won, Kate really gives a performance that deserves an Emmy. Original? Perhaps not. Sarah Lancashire has paved the way for her. Deserving? Absolutely. Over Anya? Obviously for me.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.