Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When she won the GG for The Favourite

GOAT performance and honestly one of the only times the HFPA got an awards lineup right lol.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    antony
    Topics:

Oh darlings.

oh honey, indeed. still watching her victory on loop

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Regarding the sweeps, they are annoying but I do think some important context we’re missing is that 2021 was an insanely dry year for drama and 2020 was an insanely dry year for comedy. When Schitt’s swept there was really only objection to two of the wins if that (Eugene and directing), and for The Crown its only the one category of supporting actor. Once we start getting several heavy series-competitive shows in the race again I’m convinced the results will be more interesting. Look at limited this year! Even drama in 2020, Succession won the night but the passion for Ozark (which was at one point considered series-competitive) still manifested.

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

After years of being absurdly underrated and underused, she finally gets her due

Impossachievable

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The only thing more shocking about Crown sweeping is Charles Dance being left to dust.
    Does he have some controversy? Because lol boy was left out of the party.

Read AW’s brutally honest ballot. Totally anecdotal, but still.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Even drama in 2020, Succession won the night but the passion for Ozark (which was at one point considered series-competitive) still manifested.

Well, at its core Ozark is a white family drama. So a little bit of Succession’s white family supremacy was spread out.

There was no white family drama this year except for The Crown.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

we’re not going to see many sweeps next year.

Also the fact that atleast many in the Academy will have now understood that sweeps aren’t helping anyone. When Schitt’s Creek swept,the Academy would have thought it’s a “once in a blue moon exception” but with The Crown sweeping this year,many would start thinking that “sweeps are becoming the norm so we need to fix it.”

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

I remember months ago I said Emmy voters really don’t like giving one season performances Lead wins for Drama/Comedy. But I was told supposedly emma corrin was so undeniable that it didn’t matter, despite her lack of industry wins indicating otherwise…

Profile picture
    montana82
    Topics:

I have no problem with sweeps as long as they are deserving and different every year and so far it has. Since 2016, almost all of the main telecast acting winners have been very deserving and they are trying to mix it up. The only 3 wins that have been deemed undeserving are Alec Baldwin, Ben Mendelsohn, and Tobias Menzies.

But the guest categories are an embarrassment and panels must be brought back there.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Read AW’s brutally honest ballot. Totally anecdotal, but still.

I know literally nothing personally but I will say as someone who followed GoT for years Dance brings up very frequently in interviews that people perceive him to be far more posh than he is (presumably because of the old school RP accent and roles he’s done) which is good for getting roles but a problem in real life. Perception does not equal reality so to speak.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I know literally nothing personally but I will say as someone who followed GoT for years Dance brings up very frequently in interviews that people perceive him to be far more posh than he is (presumably because of the old school RP accent and roles he’s done) which is good for getting roles but a problem in real life. Perception does not equal reality so to speak.

The “veteran actress” said that Dance was a “shit” and would never vote for him. Same goes for Morgan Freeman. Take that for what you will.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Well, at its core Ozark is a white family drama. So a little bit of Succession’s white family supremacy was spread out.

There was no white family drama this year except for The Crown.

I know you talk about the whiteness of it all, and that’s fair
    But is Elisabeth Moss black, Asian or something? Wasn’t Mad Men almost totally white as well? And The Handmaid’s Tale has like 2 black people who are being used and the rest of the cast…

I get it but i really think you should look to your house before point at others.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Handmaid’s Tale has Emmy Winner Samira Wiley and Emmy Nominees Fagbenle and Jenrette, yes.

And let’s see what shows Handmaid beat:

Better Call Saul (AMC)
    The Crown (Netflix)
    House of Cards (Netflix)
    Stranger Things (Netflix)
    This Is Us (NBC)
    Westworld (HBO)

Actresses Moss blocked from becoming Emmy winners: Russell, Wood, Wright

Actresses Dowd blocked from becoming Emmy winners: Millie Bobby Brown, Chrissy Metz

Directors it beat: Better Call Saul (Episode: “Witness”), Directed by Vince Gilligan (AMC)
    The Crown (Episode: “Hyde Park Corner”), Directed by Stephen Daldry (Netflix)
    Homeland (Episode: “America First”), Directed by Lesli Linka Glatter (Showtime)
    Stranger Things (Episode: “Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers”), Directed by The Duffer Brothers (Netflix)
    Westworld (Episode: “The Bicameral Mind”), Directed by Jonathan Nolan (HBO)

Writers it beat:

The Americans (Episode: “The Soviet Division”), Written by Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg (FX)
    Better Call Saul (Episode: “Chicanery”), Written by Gordon Smith (AMC)
    The Crown (Episode: “Assassins”), Written by Peter Morgan (Netflix)
    Stranger Things (Episode: “Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers”), Written by The Duffer Brothers (Netflix)
    Westworld (Episode: “The Bicameral Mind”), Written by Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan (HBO)

Not seeing your point.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

The “veteran actress” said that Dance was a “shit” and would never vote for him. Same goes for Morgan Freeman. Take that for what you will.

Who knows.

Dance’s submission was also kind of cynically strategic.

Anyone in their right mind who watched the show would have told you Tom Brooke should have been submitted.

I don’t think voters necessarily like being prescribed who is worthy of submission/voting.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Actresses Dowd blocked from becoming Emmy winners:

Incorrect, she blocked Thandiwe Newton who wasn’t an Emmy winner yet

Actresses Moss blocked from becoming Emmy winners

Oh good I get it, so blocking someone to win one Emmy is better than blocking Viola win her second let’s say? Ok, as long as we’re clear that black people can only win one Emmy and that’s it. (Me particularly thinks repeats are boring, but in this context, whew)

Idk about that writers and directors but i do know an Indian Filmmaker won from Succession if we’re using PoC as tokens to see which white show is more diverse.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.