Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 520 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Thandiwe Newton is currently an Emmy Winner; we love that for her.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

What in the hell is this discussion? 💀 God, some fans are just there to make the show unpopular.

Also, THT is definitely more inclusive in front and behind the camera than the past two seasons of Succession (since that was brought up), but that’s a story for another day.

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

I can understand that, but it’s still a bit disrespectful. Especially in a category where no one from her show was competing. I love Ann but this was really a disappointing attitude.

I think she was just bored (I didn’t think she was disrespectful or anything of that sort, we all are human beings and we cannot fake a grin all the time) The other shows were done so dirty. Especially the Handmaid’s Tale. Ugghhh I hate such sweeps. Not that the Crown wasn’t deserving and I don’t mean to hate on it (I blame the voters) but Colman and Tobias would have made more sense last year. As the ceremony went on, the wins were getting too much.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also, THT is definitely more inclusive in front and behind the camera than the past two seasons of Succession (since that was brought up), but that’s a story for another day.

Both shows are as bad as each other in the treatment of their poc cast members.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

Ultimate Final Reactions:

The Emmys need to go back to a jury panel for nominations.

I think next year with FYC events and more competition in the mix there will be less sweeps, which will be a good thing, even though those sweeps by The Crown this year and Schitt’s Creek last year weren’t undeserving.

I personally preferred Olivia Colman, so I was happy to see her win.

While its not great that no POC acting nominees prevailed, personally, the only ones that I thought were deserving of wins were Michael K Williams (who was ROBBED. Period.) and Michaela Coel (who at least won writing!).

Also, happy to see The Queen’s Gambit win Series. Sad Anya lost, but she was up against Winslet and a lot of other tough competition. Next time!

There is a reason why the Academy moved away from Jury panels. Because these panels skewed older (older members have a lot more time on their hands to watch all the shows) and the substantially smaller size of the panels led to consistently same sets of repeat nominees over and over and over again, giving no room for new shows to make their way in until an old show ends or gets cancelled.

If “sweeps” aren’t an issue, and for the most part, most of the winners in the “sweeps” are well-deserved, Why fix a problem that doesn’t exist so that you can bring back problems that were major issues in the past? People have short memories. Just keep fixing silo problems with short term solutions that lead to more and more problems. Very soon, these awards will go the way of the BAFTAs, which is to have tiny panels in the nominating committee whose MANDATE is to make sure every race and gender is represented in the nominations, so that every demographic and race and color and gender and creed under the sun is happy. (Oh wait… I think there were still lots of unhappy people over the BAFTA film nominations this year with the omission of well deserved performances. Yawn.)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Both shows have major issues, yes, but how is this true? At least Samira Wiley, O-T Fagbenle and Amanda Brugel have actual storylines and material to sink their teeth into. And Succession has that for whom exactly? Certainly not Hiam Abbass. But like you said, it’s still lacking on both shows, so there’s no need to compare them much further.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

And let’s bring Ozark and The Crown to the mix as well, at the end of the day is a point the finger to everyone when basically all of them are the same shit towards PoC cast and crew.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Both shows have major issues, yes, but how is this true? At least Samira Wiley, O-T Fagbenle and Amanda Brugel have actual storylines and material to sink their teeth into. And Succession has that for whom exactly? Certainly not Hiam Abbass. But like you said, it’s still lacking on both shows, so there’s no need to discuss it much further.

Queen Yahlin Chang also would have been the best Drama Writing winner in at least a decade.

Profile picture
    salmonpie
    Topics:

I think she was just bored (I didn’t think she was disrespectful or anything of that sort, we all are human beings and we cannot fake a grin all the time) The other shows were done so dirty. Especially the Handmaid’s Tale. Ugghhh I hate such sweeps. Not that the Crown wasn’t deserving and I don’t mean to hate on it (I blame the voters) but Colman and Tobias would have made more sense last year. As the ceremony went on, the wins were getting too much.

I agree. These ceremonies go on so long and the room full of people aren’t necessarily ALL engaged at every single moment of the entire ceremony. People are basing a half second moment of Ann Dowd on camera (who could be reacting to absolutely anything at that moment) to say she’s the rudest human being on Earth. Get a life. The Handmaids Tale wasn’t even nominated in the category that Josh O’Connor won for. Even if she were plain hungry and bored at that point, could you blame her?

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

If the BAFTA jury panels taught us anything, it’s to be careful to wish for that in any capacity again at the Emmys. It’s lazy ass voters who watch and vote for three shows a year that’s the problem. The diversity was clearly right there for them to vote for, and they blew it. They deserve to be called out for shit like that. I could only imagine again getting a bunch of 70-somethings retirees deciding categories. There are other ways to reform the guest acting categories.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

And let’s bring Ozark and The Crown to the mix as well, at the end of the day is a point the finger to everyone when basically all of them are the same shit towards PoC cast and crew.

Boy, The Crown is about the royal monarchy so they cant be compared to any of the others in regards to representation in casting

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Boy, The Crown is about the royal monarchy so they cant be compared to any of the others in regards to representation in casting

I was talking about the crew in The Crown case
    The writers and directing room didn’t need to be all white, but here we are.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Maybe if Killing Eve’s crew were more diverse, they wouldn’t give most of the bait to the comer lady.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Anyway, I’m tired of this topic, they are majorally white and i guess there’s nothing we can do about it.

Moving on

If the BAFTA jury panels taught us anything, it’s to be careful to wish for that in any capacity again at the Emmys. It’s lazy ass voters who watch and vote for three shows a year that’s the problem. The diversity was clearly right there for them to vote for, and they blew it. They deserve to be called out for shit like that. I could only imagine again getting a bunch of 70-somethings retirees deciding categories. There are other ways to reform the guest acting categories.

I don’t know, we need a new thing for the creative arts
    Like, i doubt voters actually watch all those narrator, voice over, guests, short form things, and they should for we to move on from wins like Foy and others.

Jury idk, but this laziness is not working

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

The limited series actress and drama series actress were past Oscar winners before in Best Actress. Little quirky observation. When was the last time this happened?

It’s more common in Limited but only three Drama Actress winners were already Oscar winners

1972 – Glenda Jackson (Elizabeth R)*
    2007 – Sally Field (Brothers & Sisters)
    2021 – Olivia Colman (The Crown)

* Jackson’s win is wild because she won both Drama and Limited for this role, at the ceremony.

When both Field and Colman, an Oscar winner did win Limited (Winslet and Mirren for the Prime Suspect finale).

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.