Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Bateman winning an acting Emmy for Ozark but not Linney, would be the absolute epitome of cluelessness and clownery.

The fact that he’s won 2 SAG awards and an Emmy for directing and she has nothing 

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I feel like this is an larger issue about the editors and team of the site tbh
    Not to be rude or anything, but when you look at the list of editors it’s majorly White men
    The PoC and Women are missing and it shows.

I agree, but it’s still very frustrating given that so many of the themes in her show were universal. Her speech had absolutely nothing to do with race or gender, and featured commentary that people supposedly interested and involved with the industry would love to delve into. I expected more from certain editors/contributors. The analysis just seemed very surface-level.

Maximum time needed to be spent praising as many white winners as possible.

The thing is, they literally spent so much time discussing how white the winners were, but then barely even mentioned the acclaimed black winner right in front of them who had just made history as the first black woman to win in her category while preventing a sweep (another thing they spent loads of time complaining about) 💀 make it make sense.

That’s why Emmys/awards do matter.

Well said Luca!

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

The fact that he’s won 2 SAG awards and an Emmy for directing and she has nothing

It’s been a year and the Laura Linney snub still hurts like it was yesterday😵

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I love how Billy Porter also stood up and applauded him when he won.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I hate seeing Josh O’Connor with an Emmy and Emma Corrin with none 💀
    And it’s not even because he was bad, it’s because without her it’s not a show at all.

Olivia Colman you’re going to hell for this.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wonder where all the people who said Josh O’Connor wouldn’t win because “he’s playing an unlikable character” are now.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I wonder where all the people who said Josh O’Connor wouldn’t win because “he’s playing an unlikable character” are now.

Lol that argument aged like milk
    And some of us were saying that if he won it would be because of an Corrin coattail, we were wrong.

Profile picture
    GODlore
    Topics:

The thing is, they literally spent so much time discussing how white the winners were, but then barely even mentioned the acclaimed black winner right in front of them who had just made history as the first black woman to win in her category while preventing a sweep (another thing they spent loads of time complaining about) make it make sense.

Not to be overly harsh, but to me, that is mostly because most of the outrage always comes across as performative, intentionally or not. Just a couple of pages ago people seemed to be arguing over whose favourite show was less ‘white’ for instance.

It’s a very myopic view of the situation when representation only seems to become an issue in the most extreme cases.
    The only person of color nominated for acting at the 2019 Oscars was Cynthia Erivo for example (don’t think I need to say how problematic in itself that nomination is) and that somehow was not a problem for anyone despite #OscarsSoWhite being a major talking point just a couple years ago.

This own site’s awards hands out only one or two awards to pocs in the major acting categories. Regina King was the only non-white person to win outside of guest just last year. Where were the diversity concerns then?

The only person of color who was expected to win by Gold Derby was MKW and even he wasn’t a sure bet. The conversation that should have happened before the Emmys during all those podcasts, video chats and discussions talking about predictions is now relegated to a single day of outrage and forgotten after that.

Your concern highlights that. Folks are too caught up in expressing their ‘anger’ that they fail to even acknowledge or celebrate the thing they are very well supposed to be fighting for. Case in point, when MKW lost, an article about the lack of a single black winner in supporting actor drama was published immediately. As far as I’m aware, no such thing exists highlighting the significance of Coel’s win.

It’s easy to tweet a couple of things these days and leave it at that. But that’s not actual work, merely a performative symbol of allyship that benefits no one and is as useless as a glass hammer at the end of the day.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I hate seeing Josh O’Connor with an Emmy and Emma Corrin with none 💀
    And it’s not even because he was bad, it’s because without her it’s not a show at all.

Olivia Colman you’re going to hell for this.

Without her it’s not a show at all? Bit of an exaggeration. They had 3 fairly successful seasons before her, and will be having 2 more after.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Without her it’s not a show at all? Bit of an exaggeration. They had 3 fairly successful seasons before her, and will be having 2 more after.

I mean, the whole reason why The Crown became massive after S4 was Diana/Corrin, so i don’t see as an exaggeration.
    The show winning anything but her is kinda meh to me.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Emmys Producer Speaks Out Against Seth Rogen’s ‘Frustrating’ Covid Jokes, ‘Disrespectful’ Scott Frank”: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/emmy-producer-slams-seth-rogen-scott-frank-1234666498/

(If this has already been posted here, someone let me know, I will delete it.)

Page 25.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Maximum time needed to be spent praising as many white winners as possible.

Do you ever stop harping on about race?

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Emmy Producers on Seth Rogen Going Rogue, Scott Frank’s Lengthy Speech, Conan’s Heckles, and What You Didn’t See https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/emmy-awards-2021-seth-rogen-conan-behind-the-scenes-secrets-1235070223/

These producers sound like absolute wet blankets. Rogen’s Covid references were funny, and made up for the actual host being very unfunny. Frank went on a bit but there’s usually somebody at every awards show who speaks through the music. Big deal.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Do you ever stop harping on about race?

And you’re singling me out because? There have been pages and pages in this thread from many users about the lack of POC Emmy winners this year and the lacking coverage on this website about the scant POC winners. Go be an annoying troll elsewhere please, while I’ll continue to “harp” about racial issues as much as humanely possible.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

And you’re singling me out because? There have been pages and pages in this thread from many users about the lack of POC Emmy winners this year and the lacking coverage on this website about the scant POC winners. Go be an annoying troll elsewhere please, while I’ll continue to “harp” about racial issues as much as humanely possible.

Maybe, just maybe, the voters preferred shows this year that didn’t have many POC performers. Basically everything was won by Mare of Easttown, Ted Lasso or The Crown.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.