Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think what helps The Crown in 2023 when it comes to potential fatigue is that it’s quite possible that Succession is the reigning champion and unlike it, it will have a novelty factor going for it due to its new cast. Of course if the reigning champion is something new like The Gilded Age that’s a different story.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you and forwardswill. I will also be curious to see whether Elizabeth Debicki is gonna be pushed in lead or supporting. I know they’ll want to mount a big campaign for Lesley Manville, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they pushed Debicki down to supporting at least at the Emmys.

It is interesting vis a vis Debicki because judging by the storylines they’re covering (and Diana’s own presence in public life in the UK in the years that are being covered during season 5 of The Crown) I think she’ll be more of a lead than Corrin was this year. But after what just happened I can see Netflix becoming cautious and keeping the actor playing the queen as the only lead of The Crown with everyone else in supporting.

I think they can still mount a strong campaign for Manville whilst putting Debicki in supporting for season 5 considering Debicki will probably competing in guest for season 6 and Manville will probably have quite a baity storyline with Margaret’s death in season 6.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

One thing we’ve learnt from the past few years is that the industry loves the Queen more than anyone else. So Debicki going supporting makes sense.

Emma got swapped in to lead when it became apparent she and Gillian were both huge threats, right? Wasn’t she initially in supporting?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Emma got swapped in to lead when it became apparent she and Gillian were both huge threats, right? Wasn’t she initially in supporting?

She was initially in supporting but I think Netflix moved her up to lead because both her and Gillian had a tonne of buzz once the season premiered (I will add though that Olivia also had a lot of buzz due to “Fagan” as well) and also didn’t they end up having around five supporting actresses on the ballot?

It was a strategic move and one that arguably both paid off and didn’t in the end because they managed to get Fennell in as a result of it and still went 7/7 but then of course Corrin lost.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

ut after what just happened I can see Netflix becoming cautious and keeping the actor playing the queen as the only lead of The Crown with everyone else in supporting.

Debicki is also a lot more reserved generally and I cannot see her campaigning or being visible in the way Corrin did, That doesn’t matter if she’s undeniable, of course, though.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I’m positive they’ll place Debicki in supporting since it’s unlikely they will have a Gillian esque contender there with S5. Manville will most likely be not more than nom-competitive in supporting. Running Debicki against Staunton will be detrimental for the show’s overall win chances in both the actress categories and I think Netflix does consider this stuff in the end seeing the lead placements of Smith and Menzies or even Corrin & O’Connor.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Netflix also will have the final season of Ozark in 2023 so it’s probably in their best interests to focus on Linney and Staunton in lead.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I just hope people don’t get sick and tired of the Diana storyline by the time The Crown S5 premieres.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just hope people don’t get sick and tired of the Diana storyline by the time The Crown S5 premieres.

I think what will help is that The Crown will be covering a different aspect to Diana in season 5 than they did in season 4 and the one Spencer will be focusing on. We’ll be seeing the Diana that most people instantly think off as soon as her name is mentioned which I imagine will be a daunting challenge for Elizabeth Debicki but if she pulls it off well…

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know they ran out of time because Scott Frank went on and on but I still have a sour taste in my mouth with how the producers showed clips for the drama actors but not the drama actresses. It’s not like we needed the clips to be saved for the series categories.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I know they ran out of time because Scott Frank went on and on but I still have a sour taste in my mouth with how the producers showed clips for the drama actors but not the drama actresses. It’s not like we needed the clips to be saved for the series categories.

They do this every year, and it annoys me so much. They had terrific clips they could have shown for all of them! Ditto for the limited series actresses! At least they showed clips for the drama supporting actresses. Madeline Brewer’s clip outsold, followed by Aunjanue Ellis’ and Samira Wiley’s.

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

crown imdb ratings, premieres/finales: s1 5.5k/3.8k s2 3.5k/3.3k s3 4.0k/3.0k s4 3.4k/2.7k I still don’t believe the story some people here like to say that crown is the biggest thing ever with the world. Frankly, it’s Exhibit A in Awards Bait and I remember thinking it would get a bunch of major wins as early as season one but it took until now to get even moderate buzz with general audiences.

You talk more about The Crown than the stans geez. This is like bringing up THT S4’s imdb ratings which are half of the previous seasons. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t their biggest season yet because it certainly was.

That site skews so heavily towards certain demographics that it’s really not the tool you want to use here anyway. Of course shows like The Boys and Ozark see a significant bump here, because that’s where their core audience lies.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Case Closed.

That user is clearly pressed at The Crown and Corrin so I’d say just ignore their fumes. Trying to argue with them on this is a waste of time.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Speaking of The Handmaid’s Tale, I don’t think I have said this enough: it was ROBBED. Zero wins for this season — are you joking? Very disappointing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

They do this every year, and it annoys me so much. They had terrific clips they could have shown for all of them! Ditto for the limited series actresses! At least they showed clips for the drama supporting actresses. Madeline Brewer’s clip outsold, followed by Aunjanue Ellis’ and Samira Wiley’s.

I also don’t think we really needed to see the clips for the comedy and drama series nominees.  Or at least at the expense of the drama actress ones. It’s harder to show why a drama series is deserving of the top prize with the use of clips because there are so many variables that go into it and chances are if you’ve seen the shows and like them, you know why they’re deserving. However snippets of acting can really do this.

Those drama actor clips pretty much showed us why we always considered Josh O’Connor and Billy Porter in the top two for this category and I’m sure had we seen the ones for drama actress we’d have seen why this race was so wide open.

FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Speaking of The Handmaid’s Tale, I don’t think I have said this enough: it was ROBBED. Zero wins for this season — are you joking? Very disappointing.

I know it was never likely but I’m still disappointed that Moss didn’t win.. she gave a career best undeniable performance.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Final Reactions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.