Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 10)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 553 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Yeah, don’t count out Leslie Odom Jr. too soon, they will reward Hamilton somewhere and it won’t be only in the variety categories.
    If you are not predicting him, then you should be predicting Diggs.

I really doubt they will award any performance from Hamilton. There was already too much backlash for the nominations.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Odom Jr. can overcome the vote split with LMM, and he’s had a major year with two Oscar nominations. McGregor and Grant both probably barely made it in. The reward for Bettany could easily be the nomination, and as some have alluded to, rewarding him without Olsen might be seen as churlish. The competition is too stiff in actress, and Hahn can be the major acting win for “WandaVision” in supporting actress now that Heller is sadly absent. This is clearly going to be a “spread-the-wealth” kinda year. Nothing is sweeping.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Lead Actor is between McGregor and Grant, actually. It takes a lot of passion to be the only above the line nomination of a show. McGregor was able to overcome the mixed/negative reception of Halston, a show that also got other 4 nominations. Both actors are overdue for recognition, especially Hugh Grant, an industry icon.

Hugh Grant oddly feels a bit like Meryl Streep in Big Little Lies season 2 to me in that there is this expectation that they will storm the winter awards and win the Emmy based on the fact their performances are the most widely talked about aspects of their shows, the role is quite baity, they seem to be quite well loved and they’re in a HBO David E. Kelley hit. But then they fail to win anything when everything is seemingly set for them to take off. Granted (pun unintended) there could be an overdue factor at play here and this a more wide open field than the drama supporting actress one last year but I can’t help but think that the ship has sailed for Grant. He also had an overdue narrative at play when he was in contention for a more acclaimed performance in A Very English Scandal yet that didn’t go anywhere.

Y’all… the Television Academy clearly loved Disney+‘s Hamilton and had no problem nominating almost the entire cast over traditional tv performances. They will have no problem giving them a bunch of wins as well. I unfortunately think Hamilton will dominate, probably taking Lead Actor, Supp Actor and Supp Actress.

I agree Hamilton could win actor and supporting actor but I will be stunned if it takes supporting actress. Not only do I anticipate there will be a vote-split between Soo and Goldsberry but also they both face such strong competition from Hahn and Nicholson (who both fit the mould of recent winners in this category).

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I think it’s an easy win for Hugh Grant. Let’s face it, he had a good run in the last few years with multiple prestige projects – it’s time for him to win a big industry award.

I know people didn’t like The Undoing, but I do think he deserves to win in this category.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Hamilton won’t win much. I’m getting a strong “overperforms with noms, has zero or next to zero wins” vibe.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not predicting WandaVision to win writing (I have its episodes in fourth, fifth and sixth) but why is “Filmed in Front of a Live Studio Audience” the episode that is ahead in the odds. “Previously On” is the show’s most acclaimed instalment and writing standout.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I’m not predicting WandaVision to win writing (I have its episodes in fourth, fifth and sixth) but why is “Filmed in Front of a Live Studio Audience” the episode that is ahead in the odds. “Previously On” is the show’s most acclaimed instalment and writing standout.

Haven’t seen the show but from what I’ve heard I agree. Could be a similar thing to What We Do in the Shadows’ writing nominees last year where people rank them alphabetically and it distorts the odds. Although with WandaVision I could see support coalescing around the submission from the show’s head writer.

On another topic I know I’m overthinking but Hamilton can’t win Directing right? It lost to Queen’s Gambit at DGA so surely not. Ugh it’s so unfair that it’s even allowed to compete in this category and then get an Editing nomination in Variety.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have Hamilton in 5th in directing. The category tends to go hand in hand with the series winner (aside from when the series winner splits its voters like Watchmen did last year) so I currently have The Queen’s Gambit in first since I still have it as my series prediction.

It’s difficult to tell where WandaVision is in directing. It has flashy direction but it already lost at DGA to <i>The Queen’s Gambit</i>. Has there ever been a case of a limited series winning the directing Emmy over a show it lost at DGA to?

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Just out of interest, is there anyone here who would vote for Essiedu or Peters without also voting for Coel or Winslet?

Yes, I’d vote for Peters in Supporting but Olsen in Lead

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Since the nominations I’ve been thinking that we might see casting go to a passion pick like I May Destroy You or Mare of Easttown but if either The Queen’s Gambit or WandaVision win I think they’ll be taking series and directing. Especially in the latter’s case considering how the only casting achievement was Kathryn Hahn’s casting considering Bettany and Olsen have been playing these characters for almost a decade and all the other characters on the show were from films in the Marvel universe or just town extras.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Hamilton” in Directing in a Limited Series/Anthology/Movie instead of Directing in a Variety Special makes no sense AT ALL.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

“Hamilton” in Directing in a Limited Series/Anthology/Movie instead of Directing in a Variety Special makes no sense AT ALL.

I wonder had Hamilton not competed there what would have replaced it. I would like to think personally that Small Axe would have made it into directing but my guess is it probably would have been The Undoing.

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I wonder had Hamilton not competed there what would have replaced it. I would like to think personally that Small Axe would have made it into directing but my guess is it probably would have been The Undoing.

Probably either McQueen or Bier.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

So, hons, I just finished Mare of Easttown as part of my awards binging, and I’m going to need Julianne Nicholson to win the Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series.

And immediately.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Just out of interest, is there anyone here who would vote for Essiedu or Peters without also voting for Coel or Winslet?

I would vote Winslet and Essiedu (which are my votes for GD)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.