Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 494 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I still believe Rhys was helped majorly by both of the WW guys and the TIU guys splitting their votes. I don’t think he’d win if that wasn’t the case, especially when Sterling was coming off a sweep and is popular enough amongst actors to pull through without internal competition.

Off topic but this ‘Rhys won due to vote splitting’ narrative needs to stop 💀 he was undeniable and had by far the best performance in the category, as well as the final season narrative (as Hamm and Chandler did). Sterling won for S1 against Rhys despite Milo getting in. The following year was different because Rhys simply had more support that year. Since then, Milo has been dropped for multiple seasons now. He probably didn’t take many votes from Sterling in the years they got in together. The Westworld pair weren’t competitive for the win.

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I wish we could have as much of a vivid discussion about lead actor and TV movie as we just did with limited series and lead actress because those are two categories I am very interested to see people’s opinions on.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I wish we could have as much of a vivid discussion about lead actor

If we had Hawke, Law and Rahim to debate over, it would be a lot more interesting, but sadly we don’t.

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Can we name the last 1 hour of discussions as a sequel to World War Z?

Don’t be cruel to this forum.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Can we name the last 1 hour of discussions as a sequel to World War Z?

At least most of it was actual discussion. It consisted of people doling out and exchanging arguments, as opposed to people attacking each other.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At least most of it was actual discussion. It consisted of people doling out and exchanging arguments, as opposed to people attacking each other.

This year has felt much better than last year was in Emmy discussion. I feel like the air has been much clearer and people have been much more respectful to one another.

Comparatively this was this year’s Oscars discussion:

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Off topic but this ‘Rhys won due to vote splitting’ narrative needs to stop 💀 he was undeniable and had by far the best performance in the category, as well as the final season narrative (as Hamm and Chandler did). Sterling won for S1 against Rhys despite Milo getting in. The following year was different because Rhys simply had more support that year. Since then, Milo has been dropped for multiple seasons now. He probably didn’t take many votes from Sterling in the years they got in together. The Westworld pair weren’t competitive for the win.

The final season narrative of Hamm is probably the biggest we’ve seen in recent memory. Rhys was never near that level for that to play any role, especially when his co-star was considered by far the standout and was the main push amongst fans. Chandler won on his second nomination for the show so I don’t know if this final season narrative even existed for him. He wouldn’t win over Hamm or Buscemi under the current system anyway.

Rhys being the best is subjective and hence, useless for this conversation. And considering the only thing Rhys won apart from that Emmy was the CC, I’d say he was far from being undeniable.

Have you watched This is Us S2 or had followed the conversation around it btw? I feel like that would bring more clarity on that vote-split scenario. Milo still has the same amount of nominations as Rhys so I don’t know what that last point is supposed to indicate. Anyway, I’ll drop it since it’s irrelevant to the thread but I hope I did make myself clear.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

If Overdue narrative is being talked about and even though what I’m going to say is irrelevant to this thread completely but I think that if Angela Lansbury gets nominated ever again in any whatsoever category She’ll Win like anything and if it’s an actual audience ceremony, she’ll get a standing ovation of ages. She is at present 18 noms for 0 wins (including the record 12 noms for Drama Actress).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Remember Lansbury was supposed to win for Little Women? Fun times.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

The final season narrative of Hamm is probably the biggest we’ve seen in recent memory. Rhys was never near that level for that to play any role, especially when his co-star was considered by far the standout and was the main push amongst fans. Chandler won on his second nomination for the show so I don’t know if this final season narrative even existed for him. He wouldn’t win over Hamm or Buscemi under the current system anyway.

Rhys being the best is subjective and hence, useless for this conversation. And considering the only thing Rhys won apart from that Emmy was the CC, I’d say he was far from being undeniable.

Have you watched This is Us S2 or had followed the conversation around it btw? I feel like that would bring more clarity on that vote-split scenario. Milo still has the same amount of nominations as Rhys so I don’t know what that last point is supposed to indicate. Anyway, I’ll drop it since it’s irrelevant to the thread but I hope I did make myself clear.

This is wrong. Russell gained more and more popularity with the viewership throughout the show, but Rhys was consistently acclaimed from the outset. Final season narratives don’t necessarily only apply to performers who got in for every season, and while the narrative wasn’t as strong as Hamm’s, there was a strong appetite to award Rhys for the body of work as a whole (as there was for Chandler to a lesser extent).

Rhys was easily the most acclaimed of the contenders, in the most acclaimed show of the contenders. He was the only individual TCA nominee in the category for example. While it may be subjective, the opinion that he was the best was demonstrated in several different metrics.

And yes, I saw TIU season 2. That doesn’t change anything regarding a vote split scenario when the trends clearly indicate otherwise (as outlined in my previous post). Rhys beat Milo individually at Critics Choice anyway, showing that he doesn’t need to rely on vote splitting to beat TIU contenders.

Lastly, the number of nominations may be the same as Milo’s, but the trajectory is what is important to understanding Rhys’ win. Milo was on a downward trajectory, demonstrated by his recent misses. Rhys was on a consistently upward trajectory, breaking through for S4 (which is pretty unheard of), maintaining the nomination for S5 despite the show missing Series, and then winning for the final season off the back of massive acclaim.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Remember Lansbury was supposed to win for Little Women? Fun times.

Why can’t I remember her in either the 1994 movie or 2019 movie? Was she even there?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Why can’t I remember her in either the 1994 movie or 2019 movie? Was she even there?

Neither, 2017 BBC/PBS miniseries

Women

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Me deciding between responding and not derailing the thread. Choices.

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I think both can be true that Rhys was obviously helped by some vote splitting (as a lot of winners are these days), but also we know the new voting system lends itself to passion picks and he had passion. Case closed

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I think Series is The Queen’s Gambit to lose, it reminds me of Chernobyl a bit.
    It could (and probably will) lose the main acting award, but it strikes me as something that tech pushes to the finish line.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.