Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 494 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

HBO while deciding which show they would push the most, IMDY or MoE:

I remember the same situation happened in 2019 with Amazon. Fleabag v. Mrs. Maisel was iconic!

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

Dont get me wrong Coel performance is out of the box as female black actress …..as we can see that black female actress character almost around usual drama like a slave, crying wife or mad wife just like that…..look at back Viola Davis whoopee goldberg or Hale Berry they’re doing some mediocre character …..but one think about Coel i feel like shes doing Kate in Ethernal sunshine and a lil bit Carey Mulligan in promising young woman which is this 2 character loose to Hillary Swank & Francis Mcdorman

yeahhh for me Lead actress race in between Kate VS Coel….

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Dont get me wrong Coel performance is out of the box as female black actress …..

It is very true that Coel’s performance is refreshing and something which if rewarded will take the industry forward. (Nonetheless I’ll vote for the Performance which I thought to be the best: Kate 😅).

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

Still thinking about this queen who would have easily been my supporting actress winner if The Serpent was eligible.

Emmy FYC!!: Pen15, Mare of Easttown, The Crown and The Handmaid’s Tale in all categories.

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Still thinking about this queen who would have easily been my supporting actress winner if The Serpent was eligible.

Yes! She was great. By the way, my understanding of the rules is that The Serpent was eligible (Netflix were involved in production from the outset) but it just wasn’t submitted for whatever reason.

Honestly none of the supporting actress nominees would make my personal awards (not even Smart or Nicholson although they were both very good).

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Yes! She was great. By the way, my understanding of the rules is that The Serpent was eligible (Netflix were involved in production form the outset) but it just wasn’t submitted for whatever reason.

They literally submitted Jupiter’s Legacy I don’t get them.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

By the way, my understanding of the rules is that The Serpent was eligible (Netflix were involved in production form the outset) but it just wasn’t submitted for whatever reason.

Rahim would’ve been such an easy nomination for them.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

Yes! She was great. By the way, my understanding of the rules is that The Serpent was eligible (Netflix were involved in production form the outset) but it just wasn’t submitted for whatever reason. Honestly none of the supporting actress nominees would make my personal awards (not even Smart or Nicholson although they were both very good).

yeah, very strange on their behalf considering the serpent is one of the best shows they’ve got this year.

Emmy FYC!!: Pen15, Mare of Easttown, The Crown and The Handmaid’s Tale in all categories.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

but can WandaVision really get no wins ATL after it did so well?

Ask The Handmaid’s Tale Season 2

Before I get quoted 100 times saying the comparison makes no sense: All I’m saying is a show can be very popular and get a lot of nominations and then win no awards ATL

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Limited Series: I May Destroy You 
    Movie: Sylvie’s Love

Actress: Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You
    Actor: Ewan McGregor, Halston
    S. Actress: Kathryn Hahn, WandaVision
    S. Actor: Evan Peters, Mare of Easttown
    Directing: Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”)
    Writing: Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You

Casting will make or break the series race at the end of the day. I will predict whatever wins that category to win series just to be safe but if WandaVision or The Queen’s Gambit take casting then I think it’s a clear sign for them winning series. Especially in the former’s case. Neither seem like passion picks that the branch would go out of their way to award like When They See Us or Stranger Things whilst <i>I May Destroy You</i> and Mare of Easttown do feel like those. Nonetheless I will predict whatever wins casting to win series and actress and in WandaVision‘s case I’ll probably predict it to win everything above the line aside from writing. I lowkey wonder if this does end up being a split field if The Queen’s Gambit will limp to the finishing line with just one above the line win like GoT did in 2018 (not necessarily with a win for Anya but maybe a directing win for Scott Frank?)

I was hesitant at first to predict him but I’m starting to feel really confident in Evan Peters winning now. He feels like he’s in a similar situation to Kathryn Hahn (their characters were a part one of the most talked about television moments of the season and both are thespians who are considered overdue in recognition) and I can see a situation where his support outweighs the support for the show’s other actors. Would it be weird for him to win without Nicholson or Winslet? Sure. But we’ve seen similar incidents happen quite a bit recently. Whether it’s with Garner winning for season 3 of Ozark or Aduba winning for Mrs. America or Borstein and Shalhoub winning for season 2 of <i>The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel</i> with Brosnahan still losing to PWB. Peters isn’t an Emmy darling by any means but there does seem to be at least some sense of passion behind him this time round and he seems to be well liked by his peers.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Limited Series: I May Destroy You Movie: Sylvie’s Love Actress: Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You Actor: Ewan McGregor, Halston S. Actress: Kathryn Hahn, WandaVision S. Actor: Evan Peters, Mare of Easttown Directing: Michaela Coel and Sam Miller, I May Destroy You (“Ego Death”) Writing: Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You Casting will make or break the series race at the end of the day. I will predict whatever wins that category to win series just to be safe but if WandaVision or The Queen’s Gambit take casting then I think it’s a clear sign for them winning series. Especially in the former’s case. Neither seem like passion picks that the branch would go out of their way to award like When They See Us or Stranger Things whilst <i>I May Destroy You</i> and Mare of Easttown do feel like those. Nonetheless I will predict whatever wins casting to win series and actress and in WandaVision‘s case I’ll probably predict it to win everything above the line aside from writing. I lowkey wonder if this does end up being a split field if The Queen’s Gambit will limp to the finishing line with just one above the line win like GoT did in 2018 (not necessarily with a win for Anya but maybe a directing win for Scott Frank?) I was hesitant at first to predict him but I’m starting to feel really confident in Evan Peters winning now. He feels like he’s in a similar situation to Kathryn Hahn (their characters were a part one of the most talked about television moments of the season and both are thespians who are considered overdue in recognition) and I can see a situation where his support outweighs the support for the show’s other actors. Would it be weird for him to win without Nicholson or Winslet? Sure. But we’ve seen similar incidents happen quite a bit recently. Whether it’s with Garner winning for season 3 of Ozark or Aduba winning for Mrs. America or Borstein and Shalhoub winning for season 2 of <i>The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel</i> with Brosnahan still losing to PWB. Peters isn’t an Emmy darling by any means but there does seem to be at least some sense of passion behind him this time round and he seems to be well liked by his peers.

I May Destroy You definitely can happen, but I would be a bit cautious about predicting The Queen’s Gambit being completely shut out after dominating the season and performing just as it was expected to in the nominations.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I really doubt IMDY walks home with four ATL Emmys. It did very well, but some of its competitors did as well, if not better.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really doubt IMDY walks home with four ATL Emmys. It did very well, but some of its competitors did as well, if not better.

Fleabag walked away with four above the line Emmys even though it had a much lower nominations count than The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Barry.

Whatever wins series is also taking directing in this race. It isn’t a case like the one on the comedy side or with this category last year where the likely series winner/frontrunner will split its votes across three episodes. At the moment I have I May Destroy You winning series so I have it in directing. If I predict <i>The Queen’s Gambit</i> in series I will also predict it in directing. Same with WandaVision and Mare of Easttown. The branch tends to go hand in hand with series rather than passion picks (see Chernobyl upsetting When They See Us in directing in 2019 for example).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Fleabag walked away with four above the line Emmys even though it had a much lower nominations count than The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Barry.

Well, at least Fleabag had an editing nomination win. 🙃

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Well its incredibly possible it takes home series, actress, and writing, and then at that point, will voters still choose to give directing to something else? (that doesn’t really align with recent history). Essediu is a very strong #2 in supporting actor as well, so that could also be the fourth (fifth?) win. Not what I’m predicting, but entirely possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.