Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 494 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

(c) although it got in for every category it submitted,why isn’t it at no.1 or 2 in nom list? Why not above WandaVision after sweeping guilds? Have people gotten tired?

Wandavision got 3 writing nods while all of the others only got 1, likewise, Wandavision has categories that none other candidate is participating, like Main Title Original Music.

They just had more to submit than The Queen’s Gambit, whose only “loss” was the two swapped Supporting players.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

i think BAFTA TV award not as prestige as BAFTA film….i dont know why these 2 british ladies (KW & ATJ) didnt compete at Bafta TV

There are no field for performances from American shows to compete there, only British.

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

@Brett Hunt, I give you a massive friendly virtual hug for collating these questions. Thank you!

I really appreciate your insightful explanation. It’s very fruitful. Thanks.

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

I think it will win Casting and “may” win Editing (not sure at all). I don’t think it wins anything else BTL 🙂

I belive so too. It feels like the most sensible “Casting” winner. I don’t think it will win (The Queen’s Gambit will most likely) editing but it might (who knows?).  Anything else would depict a strong support.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t think I May Destroy You being a female led piece will particularly hurt its chances in any category. Not only are each of the series nominees are female led but also the academy has proven across time to be more progressive in their choices than the Oscars. Look at how until Schitt’s Creek (which in itself is a progressive choice because of its landmark representation of the LGBTQ community) each of the series winners under the current voting system were female led shows with protagonists that included a vice president with Machiavellian ambitions and a sex addict in grief. Sure there may be some biases towards rewarding depictions of cold female anti-heroes (i.e. Laura Linney, Sarah Snook, Yvonne Strahovski) but Arabella doesn’t really fit that character description and Coel’s performance isn’t cold in that sense.

To say Mare of Easttown had a polarising finale is inaccurate. Its finale holds a 9.1 score on IMDB which is just below The Queen’s Gambit‘s 9.3 score and in terms of episodes of Mare of Easttown is only below the show’s fifth instalment (9.5). Of course one is very welcome to have been alienated by its finale (it’s impossible to create a piece of fiction that appeals to everyone) but that doesn’t appear to be the consensus. The television academy does seem to have taken to more original concepts as of late (Succession over Ozark, Watchmen over Mrs America, Big Little Lies over Feud, Chernobyl over When They See Us) which could ultimately hurt Mare but unlike something like Sharp Objects, there seem to be a lot of passion for it.

The nominations total doesn’t really reflect there being fatigue towards The Queen’s Gambit. It still got into the categories it was expected to. However that doesn’t also mean there isn’t fatigue towards it considering how long ago it aired and how passion seems to have risen for other contenders (including its winter awards rival I May Destroy You). Camp and Heller did miss but IMO that is more reflective of the growing disconnect between Emmy voters and winter awards bodies (see also Donald Sutherland missing after winning at Critics Choice or Tim Blake Nelson missing last year). The only reason I had Camp in when the predictions centre opened was because he got in at SAG (I had Brodie-Sangster ahead before although I’m glad I still had him in at the end lol). Whilst it was a very emotional role it was also a very small one compared to Sangster’s who was quite present in the show from around the third episode and who had the most hype of the supporting men when the show dropped. Heller’s miss is more unexplainable considering how much acclaim her performance received and how big a role she had in the first few episodes of the show (ngl I actually thought she was win worthy here) although Moses Ingram has been garnering more and more individual buzz over the past few months with lots and lots of casting announcements and she is quite prominent in both the beginning and end of the show which isn’t really the case with Heller (for those of you who have seen the show, you know what I mean). Likewise it’s not as if any of the shows TQG is competing against in series over-performed massively with the actors branch. The Underground Railroad got shut out completely, I May Destroy You only got Coel and Essiedu, WandaVision and Mare of Easttown got their core 3/4 cast members in. None of the series contenders this year over-performed massively like Watchmen, The People vs OJ Simpson, When They See Us and The Assassination of Gianni Versace all have done in the past few years.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    Liam McWhinney
    Topics:

It’s a testament to the high quality of the miniseries medium that the nomination tallies are the way they are, I think.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

All 5 shows are female led, even Wandavision is waaaaay more focused on Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda.

A female led show will win, that we can be sure.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Ok I understand the British bloc one. My wrong.

How would you explain TQG questions cause that’s what I’m eager to learn your insights.

Don’t really understand why you’re confused about it not being top 1 or 2 in noms when you’ve already acknowledged it got in at every category it submitted lol. Even if Camp and Heller both got in, that still wouldn’t have put it above WV. And this is also because for example the latter could get multiple nominations in other categories like writing because of different writers while TQG only has one, same thing with IMDY and directing. And WV being more obviously tech driven makes it more eligible for certain categories.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

i think BAFTA TV award not as prestige as BAFTA film….

A BAFTA TV award is a BAFTA. Period. Just like how a BAFTA film award is a BAFTA. They don’t exist just to be a precursor in the same way the SAG awards don’t exist for that reason. Jodie Comer won the BAFTA and then won the Emmy for Killing Eve, Claire Foy didn’t win the BAFTA but still won the Emmy.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion: I think Hugh Grant could take Lead Actor.

He’s overdue for a win (after losing for A Very English Scandal) and had one of the most buzzed about performances in a series that many people watched.

I’m still currently predicting Leslie, but if they choose to go outside of Hamilton, I can see him winning. I can’t see Paul winning (without Elisabeth… and I don’t see her winning). Ewan is also overdue but people didn’t watch and/or like his series.

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

The only people who didn’t like Halston were critics and forum users. It has good audience scores and it did cute (albeit not amazing) in the Netflix top 10.

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

I don’t think I May Destroy You …   past few years.

I’m grateful for your thoughts. It’s very productive.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion: I think Hugh Grant could take Lead Actor. He’s overdue for a win (after losing for A Very English Scandal) and had one of the most buzzed about performances in a series that many people watched.

You say this but he was no less overdue at the winter awards (where The Undoing had more recency and generally performed better than it did at the Emmys) where he lost. Sure he was up against Ruffalo but Ruffalo himself was not undeniable. He lost at the Critics Choice to a performance that wasn’t even nominated at the Emmys. Likewise his show was much smaller than Grant’s.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

I hope Mare Of Easttown signals a career surge for Kate Winslet just as Blue Jasmine did for Cate Blanchett and The Devil Wears Prada did for Meryl Streep.

After her Emmy Win for Mildred Pierce, her movies haven’t been the best. Her Performances have been super but the movies were meh. I hope she takes more daring roles in the future just as she did when she took a courageous role in The Reader.

P.S. I’m delighted Coel is getting the love she deserves having been cast in Black Panther saga. Anya has projects of massive potential lined up for years on end. Olsen has Dr Strange 2. All is well

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

You say this but he was no less overdue at the winter awards (where The Undoing had more recency and generally performed better than it did at the Emmys) where he lost. Sure he was up against Ruffalo but Ruffalo himself was not undeniable. He lost at the Critics Choice to a performance that wasn’t even nominated at the Emmys. Likewise his show was much smaller than Grant’s.

I actually think this is a very logical explanation cause Grant should have won at the place where he’s revered more (SAG where a veteran film star and charmer like him is the typical winner). Since he’s a film star,he should have won at the Winter Awards which are greatly voted on by film centric groups. If he didn’t win there, why will the Emmys give him the prize for a series which has been overshadowed by Mare of Easttown in EVERY aspect.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.