Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 481 through 494 (of 494 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I actually think Grant is the second least likely to win, only LMM behind him.
    I can see more going for McGregor, Leslie and Paul Bettany than I do for him.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think it will win Casting and “may” win Editing (not sure at all). I don’t think it wins anything else BTL 🙂

I doubt it takes editing. It isn’t very showy and it has another episode competing there.

The Queen’s Gambit will probably win there considering how “showy” its editing is in its submission and how unlike WandaVision and Mare of Easttown, it doesn’t face internal competition.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I doubt it takes editing. It isn’t very showy and it has another episode competing there. The Queen’s Gambit will probably win there considering how “showy” its editing is in its submission and how unlike WandaVision and Mare of Easttown, it doesn’t face internal competition.

I agree about The Queen’s Gambit taking this award, but Mare’s editing in the premiere is actually a standout, particularly in the final montage. But yes, it is not ostentatiously showy in general, which is why the double noms are telling IMO.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

which is why the double noms are telling IMO.

I absolutely agree the nominations below the line for the show are a testament to its strength. Cinematography, makeup, production design and sound mixing all feel like easy gets considering how showy it is in each of those departments and how widely seen the show is but costumes, hairstyling and editing? Of course we’ve seen contemporary set shows similarly over-perform below the line before and still lose series but Mare should not be counted out after that performance.

IMO I think HBO should have submitted “Illusions” instead of “Miss Lady Hawk Herself”. I found “Miss Lady Hawk Herself” to be the strongest episode of the season (followed by “Sacrament”) but the show’s strongest editing is in that sequence in “Illusions” (yourself and others on here who have seen the show probably know what I’m referring to) and had that been the show’s submission instead, I think it would have had potential to overcome the vote-split.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

IMO I think HBO should have submitted “Illusions” instead of “Miss Lady Hawk Herself”. I found “Miss Lady Hawk Herself” to be the strongest episode of the season (followed by “Sacrament”) but the show’s strongest editing is in that sequence in “Illusions” (yourself and others on here who have seen the show probably know what I’m referring to) and had that been the show’s submission instead, I think it would have had potential to overcome the vote-split.

I think I absolutely agree here. It’s strange they didn’t submit Illusions when I saw the editor speak in a few promotional interviews about how the editing for the last 15 mins in the episode was very challenging. He has a great point and those 15 mins are the most “showy” edited scenes of the entire series and probably one of the most memorable. It would have bolstered it’s chances of a victory.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Huns, Illusions is the superior Mare ep.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Huns, Illusions is the superior Mare ep.

It’s a great episode but I found “Miss Lady Hawk Herself” to be stronger personally. I think I liked how there was an element of warmth to it. It didn’t feel like it was an episode of television and more like you were watching someone else’s life unfold in front of you partly due to how character focused it was. “Illusions” felt more plot driven (which of course is not a bad thing but the highlights of Mare‘s writing for me were its naturalistic and heartfelt elements – hence why I also connected so much to the finale).

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

The last few posts have really highlighted an observation I’ve been meaning to share with you.

Those who like Mare of Easttown more for it’s detailed portrayal of a community would find Episode 1 very appealing,not just as it introduces us to this world which is fascinating but also as Wolfali pointed out,it provides warmth which is all this series is all about.

Those who checked out Mare Of Easttown for its detective-crime mystery would absolutely have Episode 5 as theri favourite as it gives them a “Clarice Starling-esque sequence” and really catches momentum. As the name suggests,the episode is about Illusions of various suspects.

I think the Imdb score of 9.1 for Mare of Easttown’s final is well explained by these arguments as “Sacrament” has in store for both kinds of viewers. It has a twist inside a twist for the mystery geeks while it has the complex relationships and heartfelt moments at its crux, so it is loved by others.This is a big advantage which Mare of Easttown has over something like Sharp Objects  which failed to connect in the manner as Mare of Easttown did.

Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

After her Emmy Win for Mildred Pierce, her movies haven’t been the best.

I really think it was just a bad phase for her. Every actor has that phase where you’re sort of stuck in a string of bad movies. Like I remember when Nicole Kidman was in a huge string of flops before Rabbit Hole happened. I think many people just write off actors easily. Kate was always a brilliant actress and she has so much in store for her.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really think it was just a bad phase for her. Every actor has that phase where you’re sort of stuck in a string of bad movies. Like I remember when Nicole Kidman was in a huge string of flops before Rabbit Hole happened. I think many people just write off actors easily. Kate was always a brilliant actress and she has so much in store for her.

Totally agree and I think that’s what I’ve liked about how the limited series medium has been utilised over the past few years. It’s provided lots of seasoned actors a resurgence in their careers (mainly film) on top of eliciting dynamic pieces of work from them. Kidman, King and now Winslet.

Perhaps unpopular but I’d give Winslet two Oscars (although not for The Reader) for Revolutionary Road and Sense and Sensibility. She comes close for me with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but Imelda Staunton gave the performance of a lifetime in Vera Drake.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Go on girl give us nothing https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1427640631350992900?s=21

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

Perhaps unpopular but I’d give Winslet two Oscars (although not for The Reader) for Revolutionary Road and Sense and Sensibility. She comes close for me with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but Imelda Staunton gave the performance of a lifetime in Vera Drake.

This isn’t unpopular at all. 🙂 I think almost everyone agrees that in 2008,the correct actress won for the wrong role. It’s hilarious that (a) more people gave Winslet for The Reader no 1 votes than they gave her for Revolutionary Road (b) the studios were successful in convincing SAG and CC that Winslet is supporting in The Reader (come on,the entire plot moves around her!  If anyone has seen the film, I think he/she will agree that Winslet’s role in the Holocaust drama is decidedly a lead, and a dominant one at that. She is the center of the story, and the only actress who plays the figure of Hanna Schmitz both as a younger and an older woman (with heavy makeup). Hanna does disappear from the central chapters of the yarn, but at the end, in the courtroom and prison scenes, she reemerges as a fully-developed character to the bitter finale. The two supporting actors in this picture are David Kross and Ralph Fiennes, who play the same character, Michael Berg, in different ages. Kross’s placement can be called lead though.) (c) I don’t understand how Meryl won SAG over Winslet and more hilarious is that Winslet wasn’t even Nominated at CC for Revolutionary Road…come on critics,why are you even critics if you don’t recognise the female performance of the year??

With regards to 2004,it was just that Eternal wasn’t as acclaimed then (if Oscars for 2004 were reheld now, Winslet or Staunton would have won) although I think it’s fair to say both Staunton and Winslet deserved it (matter of choice..I would have voted for Staunton as in my world Winslet would have an Oscar in 1995 and one in 2008). Imelda gave a tour-de-force performance and thank god BAFTA recognised that.

There is no discussion about 1995, it’s unanimous that Winslet should have won over Sorvino (she did win SAG and BAFTA). I think the loss to Sorvino due to massive campaigning by Mighty Aphrodite team may have laid the seeds into Winslet to campaign extensively for awards.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I don’t understand how Meryl won SAG over Winslet and more hilarious is that Winslet wasn’t even Nominated at CC for Revolutionary Road…come on critics,why are you even critics if you don’t recognise the female performance of the year??

Meryl won because everyone thought they can reward Winslet in supporting (she had practically won GG and CC for that role and had been for nominated Oscar and BAFTA noms at that point).
    Critics have a history of strange choices. They awarded Allison Janney over Laurie Metcalf, Renee Zellwegger over Lupita Nyong’o, Hillary
    Swank over Imelda Staunton,Mira Sorvino also herself won over Winslet.
    Critics seem to vote differently for Critics Choice Awards than they vote for their own individual Critic Awards.

Profile picture
    K.Adams
    Topics:

Winslet two Oscars (although not for The Reader) for Revolutionary Road

You’re rightt but her win for The Reader was undeniable. I know Meryl was considered a threat but looking closely, it was almost a lock.

Winslet had won GG,CC,SAG and BAFTA lead (she had swept) and she was the lone Best Actress nominee whose film had a Best Picture nom and a broad support as evident from Director and other noms. She also won the European Film Awards for Best Actress, Bambi Best Actress and most of all, after her double win at Globes, studios and some celebrities (including Leo) left no stone unturned to remind everyone how much overdue she was. It was her 6th nom and it was a challenging role that could have ruined a career.

This developed a tremendous passion.

Viewing 14 posts - 481 through 494 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.