Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 494 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

You did not

That hurt me.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Is this the place I go to complain about Amazon’s complete dumping of The Underground Railroad? They had the best quality limited series this season that should be winning series, director, and quite a have multiple acting nominations, and I hardly saw any promotion for it, plus the way they intend you to binge a show about a brutal subject matter, instead of piecing it out week by week. Uhhhh, just one of the best examples of visual storytelling on tv, and it’ll probably get nothing. First annapurna with Beale Street, now Amazon with this, it’s just a shame Barry Jenkins made a masterpiece and it got forgotten again.

Well, the show still got 7 nominations, including Limited Series.

I get what you meant and I agree that it was a great show, but the show is not accessible enough and it is too slow and unecessarily long. The first 3 episodes were a masterpiece. Then we had 3 episodes of the show basically being Ridgeway and Cora in a road movie, there’s the Ridgeway flashback episode that didn’t add anything new to the character that couldn’t have been explained without it and the nonsensical 20 minutes seventh episode that contradicts everything that had worked in Episode 3 and the message he wanted to pass.
    Episode 8 is also painfully slow. It has serious pace problems. Not to mention that you can’t hear the dialogue because of whatever birds are singing in the woods and you can’t see anything at the nocturne scenes.

Everything I said is stuff a lot of people are already complaining. The Underground Railroad is not for everyone.

It’s not really that surprising that it underperformed and that Amazon wasn’t thrilled about it. Basically Twin Peaks: The Return all over again. It wasn’t made for awards and I’m sure Barry Jenkins knows it.

For the record, I think Thuso Mbedu should have been nominated.

Profile picture
    Sériextou
    Topics:

In this scenario, I don’t see how Ewan McGregor loses the category. I prefer to disregard a Hamilton win

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Me on September 20th if Julianne loses that Emmy:

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I still don’t know if I’ll keep predicting Nicholson expecting the voters to make the right choice or if I’ll drop her and not be 100% disappointed if she does indeed end up losing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I had a casual conversation with a few friends who have also seen the “big four” limited series nominees (the most them aren’t that big fans of television probably partly says how strong this limited series field is this year lol) about each of those shows and I’m even more convinced that Paul Bettany is not winning unless Elizabeth Olsen wins too.

Sure his performance has its fans but that passion isn’t that independent from the show’s nor is his performance more acclaimed or beloved than Olsen’s. He feels like the Eugene Levy of WandaVision to Olsen’s O’Hara. Levy also arguably had a weaker field last year than O’Hara did yet he failed to make a winning dent at the winter awards after his Emmy win whilst O’Hara swept against much stronger competition after hers. Both O’Hara and Olsen’s performances are at the crux of their show’s passion and acclaim. Sure neither WandaVision nor Schitt’s Creek are necessarily one person shows but neither are the shows they are without their female leads or their female leads’ performances.

If Bettany (and Hahn) wins I don’t see how Olsen and WandaVision don’t win either (or at least why they both would be in 4th).

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Bettany feels like the Eugene Levy of WandaVision to Olsen’s O’Hara.

I find this a very accurate comparison.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was posting in the personal awards thread my own for these categories and the fact that the directors branch nominated Hamilton over Small Axe just rubs me the wrong way. Yuck.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I was posting in the personal awards thread my own for these categories and the fact that the directors branch nominated Hamilton over Small Axe just rubs me the wrong way. Yuck.

John Boyega and Shaun Parkes getting snubbed for those two Hamilton cottails was beyond ridiculous too. Hamilton overperformance, in general, is just… disgusting really. 💀🤮

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m discovering a newfound respect for The Oscars which rightfully disqualified Hamilton.

(Just imagine the backlash if Steven Yeun had missed for Lin Manuel Miranda or Maria Bakalova had missed for Philipa Soo)

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Well,here’s the Biggest Mystery of this Year’s Emmys:-

Which episode is HBO going to submit for Julianne Nicholson’s case?

Such a tough and mind twisting question!!!
    (No one is capable to answer)

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I’m discovering a newfound respect for The Oscars which rightfully disqualified Hamilton.

(Just imagine the backlash if Steven Yeun had missed for Lin Manuel Miranda or Maria Bakalova had missed for Philipa Soo)

Even if Hamilton would’ve been eligible I’m pretty sure it would’ve gotten shut out. Oscar voters are far more self aware than EMMY voters, they still have Netflix biased, imagine how an average voter would’ve reacted to a being told a filmed play could be nominated.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

My only thought with the Hamilton overperformance is wondering if the almost  complete lack of theatre had something to do with it and maybe it’s their way of honoring their stage colleagues.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Even if Hamilton would’ve been eligible I’m pretty sure it would’ve gotten shut out. Oscar voters are far more self aware than EMMY voters, they still have Netflix biased, imagine how an average voter would’ve reacted to a being told a filmed play could be nominated.

I understand the gist of what you’re saying but after what happened at the Emmys (here at the forum,most users including me were very confident that Emmy voters wouldn’t vote for a filmed stage play… But see what happened..),I don’t know how much we can trust the Oscar voters. We did have faith in the Emmy Voters that they’d not nominate Hamilton but eventually they did.
    Moreover Oscars have a history of nominating Filmed Stage Plays like when Laurence Olivier and Maggie smith got nominated for a filmed play Othello.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I will say that filmed stage plays are some of the best things I saw all pandemic. When they are good they really are very very good.I’m not against them being in the Emmys, I just think live performance should have their own category. What’s to stop Prime or someone submitting PWB’s Fleabag play recorded in 2019? (Which is very good and I recommend but is still…ostensibly Fleabag)

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 494 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.