Home Forums TV Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 514 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
15 hours ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
Luca
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I really wouldn’t say TQG winning writing is a huge stretch at all given the industry’s love for Scott Frank and since the writers guild has already made it clear that they love the script. I just don’t buy Mare being a frontrunner in this. I loved Mare but TQG was a full-fledged experience. I definitely think it’s between TQG and IMDY.

It might be hopedicting for a win for Mare and IMDY to not go home empty handed. I will say I think Scott Frank writing style is a lot similar to Aaron Sorkin’s snappy witty writing. Almost all of Anya’s snide remarks reflect some Sorkinism. I could see the television Academy gravitate towards Frank in writing for this type of stylistic writing or follow the wave of TGQ sweep.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I actually have Mare of Easttown winning writing as a way for the show to not go empty handed and the writing in general is pretty fantastic.

I honestly don’t see it unless the show upsets in series (which is unlikely considering its casting loss). Only the writers vote for the writing categories and they haven’t tended to fall in line with the series categories or a “consolation” mindset. It tends to be between the series winner and a passion pick.

Brad Ingelsby did develop a lot of buzz as the show was airing but there’s something about Mare of Easttown that feels a bit too “conventional”. It’s well written but when the branch has deviated from the series winner to a passion pick it tends to be one that is very “different”. There either tends to be a novelty or the show is very auteur driven (e.g. Black MirrorSuccessionMaster of None).

It’s between The Queen’s Gambit considering it will likely be the series winner and I May Destroy You IMO as it feels like it could be the cool writers passion pick of the season.

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I will say I think Scorr Frank writing style is a lot similar to Aaron Sorkin’s snappy witty writing. 

This hurts.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Keeley Hawes We demand Justice.

Fingers crossed she’ll finally win her overdue BAFTA! They can’t ignore her for the biggest British show of the year can they?

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

I wasn’t talking so much about Anya as I was about other wins people are now predicting. Anya winning makes a lot of sense. Some of the other wins people are mentioning, not as much in my opinion.

I mean, each time a limited series’ lead actress winner also won, they brought in a supporting player with them as coattail. And TBS seems to be the most viable since many were just predicting Evan to win based on being able to coattail Kate. WV can also tank completely above the line in acting and lose Hahn, and Nicholson can still vote split with Smart because of the latter’s hype with her Lead win and the former only having one real episode to get votes. In regards to writing, well the WGA win is right there. Albeit not against IMDY but still it won so it has writer support. Granted I think IMDY has this in the bag, but it can lose if the Emmys truly are all in for TQG.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I May Destroy You is probably the best written show of the year so if it doesn’t win.. (I feel confident though because the writers branch usually has TASTE.)

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

They can’t ignore her for the biggest British show of the year can they?

Bodyguard1
    Shaw

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Bodyguard1 Shaw

Darling she competed in lead at BAFTA and no one was stopping her…

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Brad Ingelsby did develop a lot of buzz as the show was airing but there’s something about Mare of Easttown that feels a bit too “conventional”. It’s well written but when the branch has deviated from the series winner to a passion pick it tends to be one that is very “different”.

I agree with this. I like Inglesby’s writing a lot – I’ve watched quite a few of the films he’s done the screenplays for – but it’s incredibly traditional which they don’t go for in limited (he’s probably have a better chance in drama).

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

The Queen’s Gambit was always being underestimated for writing. It has serious Chernobyl vibes.

The writing in Chernobyl was flawless, to be honest. For me, it was the standout, and I think people predicted that too. Instead, it was underestimated in directing category.

Meanwhile, The Queen’s Gambit‘s most notable problem is the writing. Since writers, most of the time, are aligned with critics, it would be wiser not to predict it there. The category has a major work of an auteur (I May Destroy You) and a show that is benefitted by a solid writing (Mare of Easttown). Can The Queen’s Gambit utilize this competition? Yes, it’s the frontrunner, but the fact that they actually watch it seems to hurt the chance.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Darling she competed in lead at BAFTA and no one was stopping her…

My brain completely blanking she was lead at Bafta…

MinajDinosaur

Profile picture
    K.Adams
    Topics:

While we’re here debating between Kate Winslet and Anya Taylor-Joy, Tom O’Neil is predicting Cynthia Erivo.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

On the the topic of The Queen’s Gambit’s writing: Scott Frank’s writing is far from bad. It’s very good but at the same time vastly inferior to Mare of Easttown and especially IMDY (IMO). My main problem with TQG as a series is that most characters, including Beth herself (though I know people will disagree), are completely under-written. Like, people call this show a character study, and in hindsight I recognize that too (to some degree), but while watching, I wish I would have felt that more. I think you see the problem crystallize most in Moses Ingram’s character, who, yes, is a side character but could have been given more depth. I also think Beth’s “breakdown”/”downward spiral” was pretty superficial. Meanwhile, Brad Ingelsby created such a rich world with multilayered, distinctive characters on Mare, while Coel, well, her work speaks for itself. Also, Brad and Michaela know how to create moments of genuine comedy! (That said, I will say that I have more issues with ATJ’s performance than Frank’s writing itself, but I will shut up about that 🤐🤐.)

I tend to have faith in the writers, but I think TQG is just going to sweep at least the writing & directing categories (and series ofc). I have IMDY in second and Mare in third for writing. Let’s not forget that Scott Frank competed here three years ago for “Godless,” for which he was probably in the top three in writing and directing. I think voters (writers & directors) will want to pay him his due this year.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

While we’re here debating between Kate Winslet and Anya Taylor-Joy, Tom O’Neil is predicting Cynthia Erivo.

OhHoney

Profile picture
    K.Adams
    Topics:

Is it just me or did all constant close-ups of Beth’s face (especially her eyes) really felt irritating?

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.