Home Forums TV Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 514 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
Luca
  • Profile picture
    K.Adams
    Topics:

That said, I will say that I have more issues with ATJ’s performance than Frank’s writing itself, but I will shut up about that 🤐

She’s learning the craft (that’s why there are flaws which I also felt). It’ll take her a few years of experience to master the craft like Winslet/Blanchett.

Even for a relative newcomer like ATJ to give such a great performance is an achievement in itself.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

She’s learning the craft (that’s why there are flaws which I also felt). It’ll take her a few years of experience to master the craft like Winslet/Blanchett.

Sure. But accordingly she shouldn’t be winning awards until she has mastered it.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

While we’re here debating between Kate Winslet and Anya Taylor-Joy, Tom O’Neil is predicting Cynthia Erivo.

As he should.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Cynthia should win this because I am tired.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Is it just me or did all constant close-ups of Beth’s face (especially her eyes) really felt irritating?

Honestly it was such male gaze mediocrity and everyone here is like “oh it was about feminism in chess” and really it was just some big eyes and great outfits, and added nothing meaningful to the discourse about feminism (or the Cold War, or the car crash and PTSD, or drugs and addiction for that matter) at all. I wasn’t even really convinced that she enjoyed chess at all. No idea what her motivation was or how her thinking worked. The writing wasn’t as good as The Undoing, and that is saying something.

Completely unrelated, I have this nagging feeling that Leslie Odom Jr. is a strong chance. He’s just as iconic in Hamilton, and he has the Oscar noms under his belt which are just as relevant as Diggs’ SAG nom.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

My main problem with TQG as a series is that most characters, including Beth herself (though I know people will disagree), are completely under-written. Like, people call this show a character study, and in hindsight I recognize that too, but while watching, I wish I would have felt that more. I think you see the problem crystallize most in Moses Ingram’s character, who, yes, is a side character but could have been given more depth. I also think Beth’s “breakdown”/”downward spiral” was pretty superficial. Meanwhile, Brad Ingelsby created such a rich world with multilayered, distinctive characters on Mare, while Coel, well, her work speaks for itself.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

LEAD ACTRESS

1. Kate Winslet – I don’t know why I’m starting to doubt this one when the creative arts were exactly what I was expecting to happen and is why I have had TQG winning Series and Directing the whole time. I am resisting the last minute jitters because I still expect that the actors will prefer Mare and because Winslet’s work has always been seen to transcend her series. I also think it would be really odd for Peters to win without her when recent history hasn’t generally followed that pattern with regards to Lead/Supporting combos.

—————————————————–

2. Anya Taylor-Joy – I am definitely more aware of her. Again though I can’t tell if this is just because the creative arts wins have brought TQG stans out of the shadows. We are in an era of sweeps so it’s definitely a gamble to assume that the actors will think differently. I also kind of think that Taylor-Joy winning would be more regressive than the branch has been under the current system. In competitive races, they haven’t been going to default choices but instead have followed the conversation.

—————————————————–

3. Michaela Coel – There was a moment a few weeks ago when I started to question if she was the runner-up here based on the clear passion for her. Ultimately, I think she’s still in play due to this but I do expect her to lose. She’s facing two fierce contenders on shows that punctured the mainstream far more than hers. During the voting period, Winslet still felt more talked about than her which is peculiar for an auteur. She will win TCA.

—————————————————–

4. Elizabeth Olsen – Needed Wandavision to be sweeping. If it can’t overperform with the techs I don’t see it doing so with the actors.

—————————————————–

5. Cynthia Erivo – Not in a series nominee. Campaigning a lot which is what keeps her worth mentioning. It’s not happening. Although maybe I shouldn’t see so confident in the year when the Golden Globes looked at Mulligan, McDormand and Davis and picked Day.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Honestly, maybe I should switch back to Kate out of loyalty. I shouldn’t betray her this late into the game.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Honestly, maybe I should switch back to Kate out of loyalty. I shouldn’t betray her this late into the game.

No don’t! I want to finish above you for once!

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

No don’t! I want to finish above you for once!

Darling, you know I can’t let that happen.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Supporting Actor wins without Lead wins

Ben Whishaw – A Very English Scandal
    Jeff Daniels – Godless
    James Cromwell – American Horror Story: Asylum

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Supporting Actor wins without Lead wins

Ben Whishaw – A Very English Scandal
    Jeff Daniels – Godless
    James Cromwell – American Horror Story: Asylum

I said generally but thanks for providing some examples. Seems mean to have left out Merritt Wever for Godless.

I should have clarified that I was more referring to Lead/Supporting combos like this one where the Lead is the frontrunner. That’s my bad for not being clear. As far as I’m aware, under the current system, there isn’t an example of a lead acting frontrunner losing but one of their co-stars winning supporting.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I said generally but thanks for providing some examples. Seems mean to have left out Merritt Wever for Godless.

I should have clarified that I was more referring to Lead/Supporting combos like this one where the Lead is the frontrunner. That’s my bad for not being clear. As far as I’m aware, under the current system, there isn’t an example of a lead acting frontrunner losing but one of their co-stars winning supporting.

Yeah, but what I was going to is that sometimes they just default to the co-star of the lead acting win (Bill Murray, Skarsgard, Yahya) if they are in the Limited Series winner. If not that, then they go for the one with key passion, like Diggs (considering a possible split between Limited Series and Actress)

Supporting Actress is free of that pattern (Aduba, Regina King 2x, Patricia Arquette)

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Oh I thought you were responding about lead actress – my bad!

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/time/status/1438111114869583874?s=21

Kate Winslet by Kenneth Branagh, on Time’s cover for the world’s 100 most influential.

2022 Award Season, FYC:

Best Actress: JODIE COMER
    Best Actor: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
    Best Supporting Actress: ANN DOWD, TONI COLLETTE
    Best Supporting Actor: WILLEM DAFOE, RICHARD JENKINS

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.