Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 514 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
Luca
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do find it odd that plenty of users have switched to predicting TQG to win actress but have left writing even though it’s almost unanimously agreed that Mare of Easttown is more in the race than I May Destroy You. Why would it lose for its best contender while the latter wins? It can happen of course but I find the confidence and certainty strange more than anything.

This is the most compelling argument I’ve seen on this site against predicting The Queen’s Gambit to win actress but lose writing.

My argument is that there’s been a recent trend of the writers branch deviating from the series order in writing in favour of a critical, sometimes auteur driven, push. Black Mirror wasn’t a stronger contender than the likes of Big Little Lies, Feud and The Night Of yet it won writing over all three of them because it had a lot of passion for its writing. Even as Nicole Kidman still won over Jessica Lange and Laura Dern still over-came a vote split and beat Regina King. The Crown was a writers branch favourite in 2018 (it still made it into WGA a full year after season 2 aired) and it was most likely second in series that year considering Foy beat Russell, the show won directing and beat GoT in casting. Yet it still lost to The Americans because that show was unstoppable in passion.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

You mention international awards but what international awards are you referring to? The Emmys are the first non British awards body the show has been eligible in a writing category for. It was ineligible at WGA because it’s a British production and ineligible for the scripter as it’s not an adaptation.

I will take this into consideration.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Instances when the writer’s branch went their own way and against the Series Winner:

Comedy:
    2016 – Master of None
    2017 – Master of None

Drama:
    2018 – The Americans
    2019 – Succession

Movie/Limited Series*
    2017 – Black Mirror
    2018 – Black Mirror

*Yes, Black Mirror was technically never competing with either BLL or ACS in the Best Limited Series category, but we all know had the movie/limited series categories been combined, it would have lost to both.

I believe IMDY fits right in with the above-mentioned instances. But I won’t lie, I am very nervous about its chances now. I am very close to switching to The Queen’s Gambit in writing, which is just ughhhh.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

The British voters will go for IMDY, and everyone else will most likely go for TQG. Hell, they could even split at this point.

This just made me realise how much better a British production of The Queen’s Gambit would have been.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

This just made me realise how much better a British production of The Queen’s Gambit would have been.

Most of the cast and crew is from the UK as well but the book is based in the US.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Okay but that’s not what I’m talking about. I meant a British take on the story, set in Britain with British characters, grittier performances, punchier writing which has something to say, and that sharpness that comes with British television that’s devoid of schmaltz. More like IMDY in tone. TQG but make it Bri’ish.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

*Yes, Black Mirror was technically never competing with either BLL or ACS in the Best Limited Series category, but we all know had the movie/limited series categories been combined, it would have lost to both.

Not only would Black Mirror  have lost to Big Little Lies but it also probably wouldn’t have been top 3 in a combined category considering it had no directing or acting nominations.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Finished I May Destroy You today. Right after it I opened up my phone and Michaela won TCA, loved the moment. I’m rooting for her and the show this sunday.

Don’t mind TQG sweep, the show was good. Hated MOE as a whole but it had fine technical aspects, specially cinematography where it could’ve won. An Evan Peters win also wouldn’t hurt.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Finished I May Destroy You today. Right after it I opened up my phone and Michaela won TCA, loved the moment. I’m rooting for her and the show this sunday. Don’t mind TQG sweep, the show was good. Hated MOE as a whole but it had fine technical aspects, specially cinematography where it could’ve won. An Evan Peters win also wouldn’t hurt.

Welcome to the Michaela Coel fan club!

I May Destroy You is my personal choice but this is the first year where I’ve given scores of 9 or above for each nominee in limited series so I honestly will be delighted with whatever ends up winning (they all were nominated in some way above the line in my personal awards and I nominated 3 out of 5 of the Emmys’ series nominees in my limited series lineup). It’s actually the only time I’ve given scores of 9 and above to all the series nominees in a lineup other than the comedy series one in 2019 with MaiselVeepFleabagRussian Doll etc.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

I digged the downward spiral scene. Lol. Maybe because the music in the background made it work. Lol. It’s like watching Almost Famous.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Welcome to the Michaela Coel fan club!

I May Destroy You is my personal choice but this is the first year where I’ve given scores of 9 or above for each nominee in limited series so I honestly will be delighted with whatever ends up winning (they all were nominated in some way above the line in my personal awards and I nominated 3 out of 5 of the Emmys’ series nominees in my limited series lineup). It’s actually the only time I’ve given scores of 9 and above to all the series nominees in a lineup other than the comedy series one in 2019 with Maisel, Veep, Fleabag, Russian Doll etc.

I will watch Underground Railroad eventually, it looks good. I’m not gonna talk about Wandavision at all 😀

It’s interesting tho this season amassed so many fandoms for the nominees when it seemed the weakest year in sight. And my gem Small Axe wasnt even nomd.

But yeah, 2019 comedy lineup still with us.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Small Axe was so robbed. “Mangrove” was one of the strongest episodes of television of the last decade.

Oscars FYC:

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

I want to consider this year’s lineup to be one of the great’s but Wandavision bogs it down for me (the show started strong but the ending turned out to be such standard uninspired Marvel fare). Olsen was great but whenever people talk about how great this group is I can’t help but disagree because how competitive can a category be when we’re essentially nominating a Marvel movie.

I think I prefer last year’s lineup because my #5 then was Little Fires Everywhere, and while that show had big problems I’d still rank it above Wandavision I think.

If Normal People had gotten in last year, or It’s a Sin this year, then we would have an undisputed category of champs.

Profile picture
    Fleabag101
    Topics:

If the Emmys were like the Oscars (in the sense that all members are able to vote for all categories), who would you predict to win for the Primetime Limited Series categories?

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

If the Emmys were like the Oscars (in the sense that all members are able to vote for all categories), who would you predict to win for the Primetime Limited Series categories?

Series: The Queen’s Gambit
    Directing: Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit
    Actor: Hugh Grant, The Undoing
    Actress: Kate Winslet,Mare of Easttown / Anya Taylor-Joy,The Queen’s Gambit (can’t imagine who would)
    Supporting Actor: Daveed Diggs, Hamilton
    Supporting Actress: Kathryn Hahn, WandaVision
    Writing: Scott Frank, The Queen’s Gambit

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.