Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 14)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 171 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Most of these outlets predicting Winslet, okay I’m truly not alone in this.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Kathryn is winning as she should
    Get over it huns

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Soviet chess champion sues Netflix over ‘sexist’ Queen’s Gambit

This lawsuit is the dumbest thing ever. Where in TQG does it say, “based on a true story” and also why did she choose now to sue? The show’s been out for almost a year. The Netflix lawyers will eat her alive.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Most of these outlets predicting Winslet, okay I’m truly not alone in this.

They also predicted Linney and Aniston last year so…

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    ReginaIsKing
    Topics:

Soviet chess champion sues Netflix over ‘sexist’ Queen’s Gambit

So she’s going to sue the creators of the show for the book’s fictional story? Fiction rewrote history. Shocking! The waste of money on a suit that will fail.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

They also predicted Linney and Aniston last year so…

Even though I did predict her, Zendaya wasn’t an obvious choice. 💀 Most people in this forum didn’t even get that right, so moot point.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

After every category where Mare doesn’t win:

We need to get those march preparations started. I fear we’re gonna need them.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

This lawsuit is the dumbest thing ever. Where in TQG does it say, “based on a true story” and also why did she choose now to sue? The show’s been out for almost a year. The Netflix lawyers will eat her alive.

So she’s going to sue the creators of the show for the book’s fictional story? Fiction rewrote history. Shocking! The waste of money on a suit that will fail.

Hello illiterates. It clearly states in the article and also in the quote I pulled, that there is a line of dialogue in the script saying, “There’s Nona Gaprindashvili, but she’s the female world champion and has never faced men.”

Nona Gaprindashvili considers this defamatory and it could also be libelous/slanderous given that it is incorrect and has tarnished her reputation within the chess world.

Reading is fun, kids! You should try it.

Legal merit aside, it’s still pretty gross to have such a schmaltzy, America-centric, high fashion model take on women in chess. “In America, you can succeed at anything, if you’re beautiful! Even the Cold War and systemic sexism is no match for a beautiful woman with big eyes!” I personally think there would have been a far more interesting way to tell a story of women trailblazers in chess.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

And there we have it 💀 the narrative of female empowerment in TQG always felt forced and basic (like many things in the show), and now it seems that they intentionally erased the feats of a real chess player in the process. Compare that with a woman’s introspective reflection on sexual assault based on her own experience for example ..

Someone’s pressed

FYC: Lead Actress - Alana Haim (Licorice Pizza)

Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I know right?! A billion-dollar corporation will eat an 80 year old Georgian chess champion that is clearly upset that her accomplishments were erased by their show alive!

Also, the timing of the lawsuit is completely irrelevant.

You may be right, but regardless of the result of the case, it adds credence to the view that many of the themes explored in the show felt manufactured and surface-level. Why not tell the story of Gaprindashvill if a woman succeeding in a male-dominated game is of interest? Even in a fictionalised narrative, they could’ve easily retained the female empowerment elements without erasing the work of real women. It’s winning Series though so clearly it’s an unpopular opinion, which I also understand. These issues of course stem from the book, but the show could’ve mitigated the issues in a more satisfactory way.

For Your Consideration:

Carrie Coon, ‘The Gilded Age’ (no I haven’t seen it, but we have no choice but to stan anyway)

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Someone’s pressed

At this point, her face and her thirsty rich bitch nonsense just really annoy me.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Hello illiterates. It clearly states in the article and also in the quote I pulled, that there is a line of dialogue in the script saying, “There’s Nona Gaprindashvili, but she’s the female world champion and has never faced men.” Nona Gaprindashvili considers this defamatory and it could also be libelous/slanderous given that it is incorrect and has tarnished her reputation within the chess world. Reading is fun, kids! You should try it. Legal merit aside, it’s still pretty gross to have such a schmaltzy, America-centric, high fashion model take on women in chess. “In America, you can succeed at anything, if you’re beautiful! Even the Cold War and systemic sexism is no match for a beautiful woman with big eyes!” I personally think there would have been a far more interesting way to tell a story of women trailblazers in chess.

Jesus what a condescending rude ass comment. Pretty sure most people have already read this article since it’s been plastered all over Twitter. Sit down, get over yourself, and mind your manners sweetheart.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

At this point, her face and her thirsty rich bitch nonsense just really annoy me.

I can’t with this site. Anya getting hated on when she’s been an indie horror darling and finally gets her breakout role with The Queen’s Gambit and is now being labeled as a “thirsty rich bitch”. Way to fight against misogyny on your armchair while degrading women.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I can’t with this site. Anya getting hated on when she’s been an indie horror darling and finally gets her breakout role with The Queen’s Gambit and is she now being labeled as a “thirsty rich bitch”. Way to fight against misogyny on your armchair while degrading women.

Right? No wonder Reddit talks so much shit about these boards.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I think the lawsuit is completely fair.

‘The only unusual thing about her [Harmon], really, is her sex. And even that’s not unique in Russia. There’s Nona Gaprindashvili, but she’s the female world champion and has never faced men.’

They actually brought her name up saying something that wasn’t true — that she has never faced men — and, in the end, she felt humiliated. Whether the lawsuit will succeed or not, it doesn’t look like oportunism or anything like it.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.