Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 14)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 171 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Victor
Manav
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

TV is better anyway, so there’s also that.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m predicting TGQ to win Series, Actress, Director, and Supporting Actor. I  am thinking TQG is poised to win at least 4 Emmys since it’s been such a juggernaut in the Winter awards and Creative Emmys. I have decided to slot in TGQ winning Supporting Actor instead of writing since I have my fingers crossed the writers branch will reward Coel for what deserves. It’s possible TGQ walks away with 5 Emmys at the end of the show, but I don’t believe its quite as strong to conduct a clean sweep just like that. Granted, the TGQ could just win Series, Director, and Actress but I do believe an additional Emmy for writing or Supporting Actor is heavily in play currently.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Maybe it’s just because the last year was a long one, but this season feels like it has gone on for a million years. All of these shows feel like such distant memories.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t deny Brodie-Sangster and Ingram can win but I’m sticking with Peters and Hahn to the very end. The Queen’s Gambit‘s haul thus far is telling that it’s the clear series and directing winner (and quite possibly actress although whilst I’m predicting Anya I’m not going to call her a lock just because I’m too cautious a predictor lol) but one thing the nominations did tell us is that voters have watched I May Destroy YouMare of Easttown and WandaVision.

It sort of reminds me of the drama field last year and the comedy one the year before. It became clear that Succession and Fleabag were winning series after they did so well at the creative arts but that by no means meant that its competition in every category was weak or that its passion would extend to every single category in such a competitive year. Ozark still received the same amount of nominations as Succession did and The Morning Show performed well with actors last year. Myself and others on here assumed that <i>Succession</i>’s strength would carry Sarah Snook (in a wide open category) and one of the supporting actors across the finish line but we underestimated the fact that actors still watched and cared enough about both Ozark and The Morning Show and thus Garner and Crudup were very strong contenders for the win. Likewise I remember at the time people were predicting Olivia Colman to win for Fleabag because of the show’s strong creative arts haul and zeitgeist dominance but voters still watched and loved <i>The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel</i> season 2. Not enough to give it another series win but enough to give it the SAME amount of wins as they give season 1 (when it won series) and to give Alex Borstein a repeat.

The Queen’s Gambit is significantly bigger than its competitors but its competitors aren’t weak by any means and in the two supporting categories both WandaVision and Mare of Easttown have two contenders with the next greatest amount of passion after their leads whilst the passion for The Queen’s Gambit‘s supporting players is significantly weaker than that of its lead, the show itself and every single other aspect of its craft.

So whilst I’m predicting The Queen’s Gambit to take series, actress and directing I feel content predicting it to lose both supporting categories. The show is winning a minimum of two awards but the field feels too strong for it to make a clean sweep of the acting categories (I know Schitt’s Creek did it last year and The Crown and Ted Lasso might do it this year but The Queen’s Gambit isn’t as ensemble focused as those shows, nor are Brodie-Sangster and Ingram co-leads like E. Levy, D. Levy and Murphy were).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

I think we can all at least appreciate how every single one of the limited actress contenders would be a potential frontrunner in almost any other year / category:

1. The young talent whose starring role in a zeitgeist-capturing surprise mega-hit ended up propelling her from stardom to in-demand superstardom.

2. The acting legend doing what many view as one of her best performances in last spring’s most beloved virtual water cooler show.

3. The critically acclaimed auteur whose most personal project to date became the little-show-that-could over ratings juggernauts based on pure word of mouth.

4. The blockbuster megastar who redefined her most popular character by doing a reconstruction / riff on the types of tv shows she literally grew up on.

5. The Academy Award nominee & Tony Award / Grammy Award winner portraying a musical icon.

Their power…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think we can all at least appreciate how every single one of the limited actress contenders would be a potential frontrunner in almost any other year / category: 1. The young talent whose starring role in a zeitgeist-capturing surprise mega-hit ended up propelling her from stardom to in-demand superstardom. 2. The acting legend doing what many view as one of her best performances in last spring’s most beloved virtual water cooler show. 3. The critically acclaimed auteur whose most personal project to date became the little-show-that-could over ratings juggernauts based on pure word of mouth. 4. The blockbuster megastar who redefined her most popular character by doing a reconstruction / riff on the types of tv shows she literally grew up on. 5. The Academy Award nominee & Tony Award / Grammy Award winner portraying a musical icon. Their power…

Meanwhile the limited/movie actor category…

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Who’s predicting “TQG” to beat “John Adams”‘s Emmy record? (The magic number is 14.) Specify the categories, please.

Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

I don’t think TQG will beat that record. I know I’ve been rooting for TQG/ATJ to win it all BUT I can also see Winslet winning actress. The category is obviously competitive and each one of them has a case but her name IMO will probably push her to win it at the of the day.

I just don’t see Thomas from TQG to win supporting actor.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Who’s predicting “TQG” to beat “John Adams”‘s Emmy record? (The magic number is 14.) Specify the categories, please.

Series, Actress, Supporting Actor, Directing and Writing.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

LIMITED WRITING

1. I May Destroy You – Fits in with the recent trends of the kind of show that stops the series winner in this category. Enough visibility that the branch should have no excuses.

2. The Queen’s Gambit – Era of sweeps. And it’s not like anyone thought the writing was bad.

——————————————————–

3. Mare of Easttown – If IMDY is actually lacking a little bit in viewership compared to its competitors but the writers still want to make an interesting pick this series definitely makes sense. Would not surprise me if this is one branch that thought it should win series. TCA victory over IMDY is notable.

4-6. Wandavision – Needed to be winning series.

Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

Drama drama and drama before the prime night….ughhhh

Profile picture
    Brett Hunt
    Topics:

Lead Actress in a Limited Series

https://64.media.tumblr.com/cec71c70f21c4cf8a326631ede33c664/802c21e517805c01-a2/s540x810/c001b9ad1f3c39e93acde23944304a6154c96e9b.gif

Vs

Michaela

Anya Taylor-Joy vs Michaela Coel

Bring it on!

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Lead Actress in a Limited Series https://64.media.tumblr.com/cec71c70f21c4cf8a326631ede33c664/802c21e517805c01-a2/s540x810/c001b9ad1f3c39e93acde23944304a6154c96e9b.gif Vs Michaela Anya Taylor-Joy vs Michaela Coel Bring it on!

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lead Actress in a Limited Series https://64.media.tumblr.com/cec71c70f21c4cf8a326631ede33c664/802c21e517805c01-a2/s540x810/c001b9ad1f3c39e93acde23944304a6154c96e9b.gif Vs Michaela Anya Taylor-Joy vs Michaela Coel Bring it on!

When she wins…

Oscars FYC:

At this point, her face and her thirsty rich bitch nonsense just really annoy me.

I don’t think it’s that deep, but okay.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.