Home Forums Television Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 505 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Victor
wolfali
Luca
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Do members of all branches vote for Final Acting Awards or only the acting branch? Likewise, does only the Director Branch vote for choosing the winner of Directing or all branches?

The individual branches only vote for their categories at all stages. The actors branch votes only in the acting categories during the nominations stage and during the winners stage. Likewise the directors branch only votes in directing, writers in writing et al.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

The individual branches only vote for their categories at all stages. The actors branch votes only in the acting categories during the nominations stage and during the winners stage. Likewise the directors branch only votes in directing, writers in writing et al.

Ok,thanks. 🙂
    That does explain why Jharrel Jerome won and Ava DuVernay lost.

Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

LIMITED SERIES

1. The Queen’s Gambit – locked of course.

——————————————-

2. Mare of Easttown – The most buzzed about limited series at the moment. Peaked right in time for voting. Also has prestige. There is a faint faint possibility that it upsets Gambit.

——————————————-

3. Wandavision – Critics liked it, fans liked it and it was really well watched and talked about. If it wasn’t Marvel it would be a cert. Emmy voters would have to be very switched on for it to miss.

4. I May Destroy You – Quietly had a decent reception with the guilds, revealing industry support. People have had plenty of time to catch up on it. But this is an actually competitive category and it may not have the visibility we think. Is there something to be said for the fact that the Globes nominated Small Axe but not it?

——————————————-

5. The Underground Railroad – The final slot here is a real nail-biter. Ultimately, I think the timing of this show’s release and it being American will give it an edge. Recent viewing data has suggests it has been seen more than originally thought.

6. Small Axe – Critics really screwed this one over by igniting a debate about its form. Because of this, all of the attention on the show was loaded into the winter film awards circuit rather than the TV one. The lack of guild recognition feels notable.

——————————————-

7. The Undoing – These voters have an unlimited ballot and we know they will have watched this. If enough of them didn’t watch two or three of the shows above, it’s getting in. Ew.

——————————————-

8. The Good Lord Bird – Made it into a couple of the major guilds so is at least on the map. Ultimately, had quite a disappointing performance for a well-reviewed, very watchable series. Would need critics to have been vocal for it in the run up to nominations and, well, they just weren’t.

9. The Comey Rule – After the shutout of The Loudest Voice last year, I feel more confident than I perhaps would have done of this not going anywhere. But Showtime does still have a history for a reason.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sylvie’s Love or Uncle Frank.

It’s interesting because both of these films do seem to be best placed but neither seem to really have so much passion.

There’s an argument to be made that Oslo is in the same position as American Son (not so well received film based on a play that has relevancy to the current socio-political climate and has an Emmy nominee in one of the lead roles) and Christmas on the Square is in the same position as last year’s Heartstrings. But there doesn’t seem to be anything that has the passion or popularity that Bad Education and El Camino had last year.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    Leandro Nascimento
    Topics:

The fact that GG didn’t indicate IMDY, made those who hadn’t seen it, see. I can’t imagine this program not being indicated.

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

7 days to the nominations, guys…

Impossachievable

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The queen is coming.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Is there something to be said for the fact that the Globes nominated Small Axe but not it?

This literally helped it, Small Axe got no buzz from the Globes with Queen’s Gambit sweeping it all. Michaela Coel is essentially the face of the Globe controversy. The globe snub is hardly a weakness in July.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

hopedicting It’s a Sin at TCA and then Emmys. maybe I’m insane, but I see it getting into series, actor, & supporting actress in some scenario of events.

Honestly anything can happen. How many people had Octavia Spencer on their radars last year? I remember most (myself included) assumed the last three slots in actress would be between Dever, Haas, Washington, Witherspoon and Wever with Edgar-Jones as a potential spoiler. At the end of the day, unlike at the Oscars, there are very few telling signs to what voters have watched. Of course there are shows like I May Destroy YouMare of Easttown and The Queen’s Gambit that will definitely get nominated in a few categories above the line but until nominations day we don’t know to what extent voters are passionate about them. Same with shows like The Crown and Ted Lasso (both of which are probably winning their series categories).

FYC:

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I’m starting to have doubts about WandaVision because most of us are not predicting both Marvel shows to do well and even though it’s clearly better than The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it doesn’t make much sense in my head that the former can break in a strong field of 5 when the latter can’t break in a weak field of 8. Am I just overthinking?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sure they’re part of the same cinematic universe but I think it’s best to view WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier as two separate entities. The former has a praised central performance and its two leads seem to elicit a certain type of respect amongst their peers. The only actors from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier who really come close are a man whose entire involvement in this awards conversation is as a result of being a viral meme and two walk on cameos from thespians who have 29 acting Emmy nominations and 9 acting Emmy wins between them. WandaVision seems to garner a lot of passion due to it being an ode to television’s past and its use of meta theatre to depict a woman’s grief. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is just a buddy cop film stretched over six hours.

FYC:

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I took The Underground Railroad out of Series a few days ago in favour of Small Axe since I’m still having trouble gauging the response to the former beyond critics. Either way it’s going to be close.

I took Mbedu out of Actress for Erivo weeks ago because I think Genius’ heavy campaigning is getting it in somewhere, which leaves TUR (in my predictions) with just Writing and Directing above the line like Twin Peaks.

Meanwhile, I’m predicting Small Axe for those plus two acting noms, including Boyega who has a decent shot at the win. Although it’s amazing how much that sounds like A Very English Scandal.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Awards

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It was Christmas on the Square before Oslo was confirmed and it has been Christmas on the Square since Oslo tanked. Voters will default to Dolly Parton (and her unofficial series of TV movies).

Full disclosure that I thought that voters would default to El Camino last year and they instead went with the decently-sampled and well-reviewed Bad Education. (Sylvie’s Love is less of those things, but Dolly Parton is also not Breaking Bad.)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why is it that Hamilton is ineligible for TV movie?

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2021 Movie/Limited Predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.