Home Forums Television Emmys 2021: Which (big) upset are you predicting?

Emmys 2021: Which (big) upset are you predicting?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
Stargazing
boss
Eden
  • Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

Now that the Creative Arts Emmys were handed out, it looks like Ted Lasso, The Queen’s Gambit and The Crown are going to dominate this upcoming weekend. However, every year there is at least one major curveball the TV academy throws at us or an upset that occurs. Are you predicting any this year, and if so, in which category/categories?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel dumb doing this but I’m predicting John Oliver to lose Variety Sketch series for the first time. I don’t think there’s necessarily John Oliver fatigue but I think Conan’s narrative is too strong and the fact he managed to bump out someone like Samantha Bee in the nominations stage is only a testament to how much of a threat he is for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m also predicting Conan.

I am still not 100% convinced on Corrin, who I think was excellent but not undeniable in the field she’s in.

I think BTL showed they are trying really hard to redress the balance with people of colour (it applied to everyone but Foy). I think MJ is very strong here, and I also think Moss is as well – I’ve heard people constantly saying she’s doing important work and we know this year they watched the show and will have witnessed her doing career best work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Is Billy Porter an upset? I think I’ve had him since nominations. Otherwise, I’ll probably predict Last Week Tonight to lose one of its categories, just can’t figure out whether Conan’s lack of other nominations will be a problem. ABLSS really blew up this year so maybe predicting it in writing makes more sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Porter, MJ, Esseidu

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Thomas Brodie-Sangster and MJ Rodriguez

Quinta Brunson 1st and 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Bill Hader 4th, 5th and 6th emmy campaign manager
    Jeremy Strong 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Zendaya 2nd and 3rd emmy campaign manager

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stargazing
    Topics:

Regé-Jean Page and Uzo Aduba win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Hacks in directing. I feel like The Flight Attendant is heavily predicted just because it won DGA, but I think if they were competing together in that race Hacks would win over; so betting on that now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I switched from Page to O’Connor today and I’m currently going only with Essiedu as a riskier prediction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The only possible upset I’d be willing to entertain at this point is for Barry Jenkins over Scott Frank in Limited Directing. Doubt I’ll go through with it, but it’s something I’m thinking about given last year’s win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I’m predicting stuff like Hacks winning directing and Conan prevailing but they really aren’t risky predictions.

The only big risk I’m probably taking is switching to Thomas Brodie Sangster.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

I think directing is where we might see some upsets. The directors’ branch almost always throws us some arguably unexpected curveballs: The Crown in 2018, Ozark in 2019, Unorthodox & Succession (for Hunting over This Is Not for Tears) last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

The only one I’m entertaining is A Black Lady Sketch Show winning writing. But I think I’ll play safe this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

I’m still predicting The Flight Attendant for Directing. I don’t think you just win DGA by coincidence. And yes I would still count this as a big upset since basically the whole comedy field is Ted Lasso vs Hacks. And I just don’t think Hacks is particularly impressive directing-wise I just can’t see people voting for that over TFA like for what exactly? And it beat Ted Lasso there with vote-splitting so the same thing is bound to happen at the Emmys for Ted Lasso.

Emmy FYC:

Better Call Saul in all categories.

Especially Rhea Seehorn, Bob Odenkirk, Writing, Drama Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.