Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t think she is safe either

I’d love Brunson to happen but I don’t think she’s “safe”

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

Continuing my monthly tradition of checking and posting here which are the ten most voted candidates in each category by users in the predictions center:

Comedy Series

1. Ted Lasso – 2450
    2. Only Murders in the Building – 2362
    3. Hacks – 2345
    4. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – 2182
    5. Barry – 2241
    6. Atlanta – 2024
    7. Abbott Elementary – 1484
    8. What We Do in the Shadows – 1325
    9. The Great – 815
    10. The Flight Attendant – 402

Comedy Actress

1. Jean Smart (Hacks) – 2310
    2. Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) – 2209
    3. Issa Rae (Insecure) – 1999
    4. Kaley Cuoco (The Flight Attendant) – 1953
    5. Quinta Brunson (Abbott Elementary) – 1573
    6. Selena Gomez (Only Murders in the Building) – 1261
    7. Elle Fanning (The Great) – 941
    8. Natasha Lyonne (Russian Doll) – 574
    9. Sarah Lancashire (Julia) – 435
    10. Sandra Oh (The Chair) – 338

Comedy Actor

1. Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso) – 2340
    2. Steve Martin (Only Murders in the Building) – 2285
    3. Bill Hader (Barry) – 2224
    4. Martin Short (Only Murders in the Building) – 2153
    5. Donald Glover (Atlanta) – 2132
    6. Nicholas Hoult (The Great) – 987
    7. Anthony Anderson (Black-ish) – 899
    8. Don Cheadle (Black Monday) – 305
    9. John Cena (Peacemaker) – 204
    10. Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm) – 115

Comedy Supporting Actress

1. Hannah Waddingham (Ted Lasso) – 2273
    2. Alex Borstein (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) – 2194
    3. Juno Temple (Ted Lasso) – 2135
    4. Hannah Einbinder (Hacks) – 2111
    5. Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live) – 1873
    6. Cecily Strong (Saturday Night Live) – 1271
    7. Yvonne Orji (Insecure) – 1210
    8. Amy Ryan (Only Murders in the Building) – 1137
    9. Sarah Goldberg (Barry) – 1115
    10. Janelle James (Abbott Elementary) – 764

Comedy Supporting Actor

1. Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso) – 2231
    2. Henry Winkler (Barry) – 2151
    3. Tony Shalhoub (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) – 2141
    4. Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta) – 1963
    5. Bowen Yang (Saturday Night Live) – 1883
    6. Nick Mohameed (Ted Lasso) – 1651
    7. Kenan Thompson (Saturday Night Live) – 1597
    8. Anthony Carrigan (Barry) – 1389
    9. LaKeith Stanfield (Atlanta) – 799
    10. Brendan Hunt (Ted Lasso) – 322

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Hacks and The Kominsky Method actually look like they have similar audiences.
    `

People who like good TV?

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

People who like good TV?

By Audience, I think Kat_ebbs means similar kind of voter bases since both are Comedy shows featuring 60+ actors as a Lead and set in the entertainment background.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    leftyouthere
    Topics:

Michael Che’s recent interview and Pete Davidson’s continued absence has kicked the “who’s leaving SNL?” conversation into high gear and it makes me nervous that veteran cast members will clog up the supporting categories with ~swan song~ nominations.

If they announce their departure before the finale airs Strong, McKinnon and Bryant could all repeat.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Michael Che’s recent interview and Pete Davidson’s continued absence has kicked the “who’s leaving SNL?” conversation into high gear and it makes me nervous that veteran cast members will clog up the supporting categories with ~swan song~ nominations.

If they announce their departure before the finale airs Strong, McKinnon and Bryant could all repeat.

I honestly don’t think the Television Academy cares that much to give swan sang nominations especially in Comedy. I think sentiment plays less of a role than people think. Will & Grace rebooted yet was shut out above the line outside Megan Mullaly despite Sean Hayes literally being at #1 in the GD odds and Erin McCormack, Debra Messing and the show all being well predicted and expected to get in. The Academy did not give 30 Rock any major win outside Writing for its final season and neither did they nominate back Emmy winners Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen and Eric Stonestreet when Modern Family ended. Jim Parsons did not get a swan song nomination for The Big Bang Theory. And then Kathryn Joosten lost for Desperate Housewives despite the sentiment in her favour due to her passing away. Julia Louis-Dreyfus did not get a win for the final season of Veep despite having a great personal narrative along with the historic potential of her win. Both of the 5 time winning Comedy Series did not get welcomed back for their final well received hit seasons. In such a good competition as this one, I doubt the SNL actors will get nominations for their final season narrative unlike last year where the categories were barren.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

By Audience, I think Kat_ebbs means similar kind of voter bases since both are Comedy shows featuring 60+ actors as a Lead and set in the entertainment background.

I am a numbers nerd but  to indulge some guesses here:

• Hacks and Kominsky: slightly older leaning but broad enough they’re getting some younger voters (probably not Gen Z, but at least some millennials). Skews male but not aggressively so. Very hard to skew male market as a female led show so bodes well for Smart

• Grace and Frankie: skews quite female but nowhere near as old as the leads (I would imagine there are a lot of grown women watching to discuss with their mothers) and not enough so that older couples wouldn’t be watching it together. It probably has minimal viewership from young men.

• Julia skews very heavily towards older audiences and it wouldn’t be a stretch to put the average age here at 60 if you account for how little 45+ viewers vote on IMDB. It is impressive a streaming title is skewing that old, that’s hard to do.

Profile picture
    24Kgirl
    Topics:

I don’t think they will get in just for being their last year
    (Kate will get in just for being Kate). That said I expect at least one SNL actress/actor to get in. SNL has only missed out on at least one supporting actress nom only once since 2008. For supporting actor they have fared worst only getting in 4 times since 2008 (and last year was the only time they got 2 in unlike actress were they more recently regularly have gotten 2-3 in). That said the one time they missed actress was a pretty competitive year (2013) so maybe there is hope they miss again when competition is strong (but 2013 Bill Hader got in for supporting actor proving the rule SNL never doesn’t get at least one actor/actress in).

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Ugh if Kate McKinnon gets in I’ll be so annoyed. She’s begun to stank up my screen. Like there was no need for her to be wedged into the cold open this week, but she found a way. Can’t have old Kate not being in the cold open, can we? She’s really not very funny anymore but seems like a limelight hog who needs to overshadow the newbies.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Ugh if Kate McKinnon gets in I’ll be so annoyed. She’s begun to stank up my screen. Like there was no need for her to be wedged into the cold open this week, but she found a way. Can’t have old Kate not being in the cold open, can we? She’s really not very funny anymore but seems like a limelight hog who needs to overshadow the newbies.

Emmy voters aren’t checking/watching shows like they used to, so SNL performers have the advantage of being in the spotlight via Youtube clips, word of mouth, general coverage in media (the very same situation applied to Hamilton last year), hence it is way easier for them to get nominated and occupy multiple slots in a category.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

I’m prepared for McKinnon, Strong, Bryant, Thompson, Yang, & Davidson to all get in this year.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

Profile picture
    orangestraw
    Topics:

I don’t see them getting Davidson in. They couldn’t last year in a far from stacked category, and he’s missed half the season. I think his foot is already half out the door. There’s a part of me that thinks SNL will get completely shut out in both Supp Actor and Guest Actress (unless Natasha Lyonne knocks it out the park, which is entirely possible)

Which leads me onto… Edie Falco playing his mom in his Peacock series. Edie why?

FYC: "What We Do in the Shadows" and "Severance" in everything, Natasha Rothwell ("Insecure"), Sophie Thatcher ("Yellowjackets"), Renee Elise Goldsberry ("Girls5eva"), James Caverly, ("Only Murders in the Building")

Profile picture
    24Kgirl
    Topics:

I’m prepared for McKinnon, Strong, Bryant, Thompson, Yang, & Davidson to all get in this year.

No way does SNL get 3 actors in supporting in such a competitive year and SNL not being buzzy this year. Even Barry and/or Ted Lasso will likely have a tough time getting 3 guys in but they have the best odds of any.

And please don’t let this post come back to haunt me when SNL gets 3 supporting actor nods on nomination day.

Profile picture
    TAF
    Topics:

I know nobody is watching, but Made for Love season 2 is a big improvement. Milioti and Magnussen are fantastic, as in season 1, but this time there’s no boring storylines.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

The fact that Bryant and Thompson got Lead nominations last year for shows no one really cared about (over Series nominee leads like the Cobra Kai and PEN15 duos) tells me that unfortunately, the SNL love is not going anywhere anytime soon.

FYC: Pamela Adlon (Better Things) Rose Byrne (Physical) Danielle Deadwyler (Station Eleven) Elle Fanning (The Great) Luke Kirby (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) Hamish Linklater (Midnight Mass) Margaret Qualley (Maid) Renee Rapp (The Sex Lives of College Girls) Sophie Thatcher (Yellowjackets) Heléne Yorke (The Other Two)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.