Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Anderson is also been doing promo and panels with alongside Fanning, Hoult and McNamara. She and the people involved with the show been treating her like a main cast member.

Her alphabetically advantage, post-Crown glow and The Great being a SAG (actors) favourite, there’s really no reason for her to miss.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

Hacks, girls5eva and The Flight Attendant are not ironically making Thursday my new favorite day of the week.

Profile picture
    Nuebert
    Topics:

whew that ep 4 of Hacks was a great tape for Jean Smart and Carl Clemons-Hopkins imo

Profile picture
    ScreamingFirehawk22
    Topics:

Flight Attendant; not a comedy.

Profile picture
    Nick Name
    Topics:

Flight Attendant; not a comedy.

If you check the requirements, you can definitely come to that conclusion. Dividing drama and comedy by a time limit was stupid, now they have somewhat floating criteria, that nobody probably cares about, as long your show is eligible for a nomination of any kind. I read an interview with Cuoco 2 or 3 weeks ago and she stated that after the first 4 episodes they felt like they did enough comedy and deserved to focus on drama in 5&6. That would leave 2 more episodes that have to be comedic, but I don’t think any panel will review all content.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

An Emmy winner and future Emmy winner

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Van was the focus of a fantastic final episode of Atlanta (no Paper Boi or Darius, and Earn only appearing in post credits) and Zazie Beetz was excellent. Of the 10 episodes this season, she appeared in 4 and was credited in the other 6. Will she run in supporting or guest?

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Will she run in supporting or guest?

I think supporting.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

Really loving this season of Hacks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hi guys! I hope you’re all keeping well. This isn’t my full “return” to these forums but I’ve decided to pop back into the predicting game after a few weeks away from it and post some thoughts on the races periodically. I don’t know if I’ll remember to make a final update (or even finish with this update) but anyway I guess here is my “penultimate” predictions update on the comedy races.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

1. Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso – The incumbent.

2. Juno Temple, Ted Lasso – I think the SAG nod indicates she’s more of another Sian Clifford than Marin Hinkle in terms of how much she factors into this race. Whether she’s win competitive will probably be dependent on if AppleTV+ can get episodes of Ted Lasso out on time for the final stage of Emmy voting because it is a lot more difficult in these supporting categories to leapfrog internal competition from an established favourite but her presence evens out this race in really interesting ways.

3. Hannah Einbinder, Hacks – The co-lead of a show that is the incumbent winner in 3 major above the line categories and is win competitive in the series race. If she can already get in for the show’s freshman series with little to name recognition she won’t have any issue as a more established contender weak field or not.

4. Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – A two time winner in this category for a show that is an actors branch favourite and a role and performance that are still very much beloved (a further manifestation of this on the awards circuit can be seen in her ability to still manage to get nominated in the catch all SAG comedy actress field two years ago in spite of previous winners and contenders in similar boats in the drama and comedy fields getting dropped due to the stacked nature of that field). Before I took my time out from the predictions game there was some discussion on the derby that Shalhoub could repeat in the supporting actor race but I actually think if anyone from Maisel can win again this year (which is something I’ll add I am quite doubtful of in the first place) I’d actually wager she’s in a much stronger position. Unlike Shalhoub (who was competing in a wide open field when he won for season 2) she’s already shown herself to be able to ride the whims of passion to a win and unlike last season, she may be one of the only contenders in this category who doesn’t face internal competition.

5. Sarah Goldberg, Barry – I’m quite bullish about these 5 thespians making the cut. I guess the only reason I have Goldberg lower here is because she almost feels, for the lack of a better word, secondary? She has had some very rich material in the episodes of this season I’ve seen and can definitely (and should) be win competitive during the last stage of voting but whilst Barry boasts a really strong and deserving ensemble (a lot of whom will probably get nominated), it just feels a lot more like the Bill Hader show more than anything else whilst each of the aforementioned performers’ shows either have a more ensemble driven dynamic or the performer is a co-lead (in Einbinder’s case) and I think that makes its supporting actors’ chances a lot more dependent on the show’s placement in the series race. Of course Barry is probably a top 3 contender (I have it in 2nd in my series predictions) at this point so I feel content about Goldberg getting back in but if the show does go on to win series, it wouldn’t surprise me if Hader is the only actor who goes along for the ride with a win.

6. Sheryl Lee Ralph, Abbott Elementary – I didn’t realise until very recently that she was quite a venerated character actor. Abbott Elementary seems to be having quite a bit of an upsurge at the moment in a way that I don’t think has been replicated by any show in similar circumstances in this field since the Fleabag year. That’s not to say that I think Abbott will go all the way like Fleabag did but it feels like a show that the kingmakers in the television academy are probably aware of at this point and will have sought out by now if they wanted to see it (which is something I think we’re seeing on similar levels in the drama and limited fields with similarly timed releases like Severance and The Dropout) so I’m guessing on gamble on the word of mouth here. If it ends up being high up in the series race I guess the only reason I think Ralph (as opposed to James) is the likeliest outside of Brunson to crack an acting nod is because we’ve seen actors of similar calibre be the first ones to come along for the ride in similarly buzzed about shows under this system and her performance feels much more compelling compared to the other supporting cast members. For every Alex Borstein and Annie Murphy you have an Yvonne Orji getting in for a more restrained performance with an emotional connection with the protagonist over a Natasha Rothwell with a more comedically bombastic role. Ralph’s character has a much more tender relationship with Brunson’s character than any of the supporting cast members on the show.

7. Meg Stalter, Hacks  – Hacks will inevitably grow in acting nominations this year. Every show that wins a major above the line Emmy and returns with a just as buzzed about or acclaimed season does (Barry, Maisel, Succession, Handmaid‘s etc) and Hacks is the only comedy this season to not only not be returning from a production hiatus but also have essentially had momentum going for it throughout the entirety of the season (going from season 1 airing at the start of this cycle to the show making waves on the awards circuit halfway through and now at the end of the cycle debuting its second season). Stalter became something of a viral star just when voting was closing for last year’s Emmy nominations, has a very distinctive comedic performance and even is up for an MTV award this year for Hacks. Now of course the MTV awards are not by any means an Emmy precursor but I do think considering the type of show Hacks is and Stalter’s profile prior to the show, that nod feels like something that could foreshadow a breakthrough here. It helps her that she had quite a major and plum sub-plot in the first two episodes of this season.

8. Janelle James, Abbott Elementary – She arguably gives the most buzzed about (and acclaimed) performance in this category but there’s something that just still feels off here? Regardless of her increased profile she’s still a newcomer who doesn’t have the most advantageous position on the ballot and those rarely get in on their first time round so I can see her being the big snub of nominations day. That being said I am predicting an Abbott over-performance for reasons already mentioned above so I’ll keep her in.

9. Rosie Perez, The Flight Attendant – Her arc on The Flight Attendant is ridiculous but that didn’t stop her from getting nominated last year even as The Flight Attendant got shut out in a much more barren comedy supporting actor field. Whilst I don’t think it will get back into writing and am shaky on directing and casting nods, The Flight Attendant feels like the type of show that stands to benefit from a landscape that lacks consensus (it still has one of the most critically acclaimed central performances on television, it’s a very young and more “recent” show compared to some of these other contenders and is one of the few that hasn’t returned from a production hiatus) and I feel like Perez (both as a person and as a thespian) is just so beloved that people are willing to give her a pass for underwhelming material on the ballot in a way that almost feels comparable to someone like Fiona Shaw, who there were similar questions on sites like these over when it came to a nomination for Killing Eve‘s second season and who was similarly considered a long-shot for the show’s successive season due to narrative prominence.

10. Marin Hinkle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – I actually think she’s being underestimated quite a bit. The only reason I don’t have her in is because of competition. Was she a coattail for season 2? Yes. But I also feel like once a performance gains the exposure of an Emmy nomination, the perception around it changes. Look at how after Sterling K. Brown won his Emmy (after only getting a SAG nod prior to his win) he essentially became the industry’s de facto standout of This is Us. Or how after both got dropped in 2019 it wasn’t Emmy winner Alec Baldwin who returned to comedy supporting actor but Kenan Thompson instead. Hinkle obviously isn’t ahead of Borstein here but I feel like her performance has a lot of goodwill amongst the Maisel base (if you go onto the show’s thread for this season there are several Gold Derbyites dubbing her as a season standout) and that in the time since her first nomination she’s more engrained in the show’s main ensemble structure. She had her own meaty sub-plot of her own in the back half of the season and the character shares a dynamic with Shalhoub’s so I can see a lot of voters who are checking him off also check her off here. Likewise for all we know she could have been top 3 in the nominations round of voting last season.

11. Kaitlin Olson, Hacks – She is a well liked veteran comedienne and whilst her performance is obviously much more dramatic than most of the contenders in this category, I can see her benefiting from having a similar supporting family member dynamic that were arguably boosters for contenders like Hinkle and Clifford. That being said she’s more or less a recurring cast member and I wonder if she might go guest for this season? I haven’t seen past the second episode of this season of Hacks yet so maybe I’m missing something but if the events of it are any indicator, it doesn’t look like she’ll be in this season that much.

12. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live – Maybe she is infallible but she also just feels like filler at this point and those type of name-check contenders tend to drop out as time goes on, the novelty behind their works fade and their shows weaken as contenders. Mandy Patinkin outlasted Homeland in the series race but he was eventually dropped for the final season. Allison Janney and Tracee Ellis Ross were both dropped in 2019. McKinnon got back in 2019 even as SNL was dropped more or less everywhere else so she’ll be one of the first people from the show to make it in this year but even then I just feel like the disparity between that field and this one in competitiveness is so wide that her ability to crack into a stacked field may prove useless here. She was a very recent winner in 2019 and SNL was still fairly buzzy. McKinnon had sketches where she was playing the likes of Angela Merkel and Rudy Giuliani going viral online whilst if I wasn’t on this site I don’t think I’d even know whether she was still a cast member or not. Her best hopes of a nod are if Abbott Elementary doesn’t take off and The Flight Attendant underperforms.

13. Cecily Strong, Saturday Night Live – Her star has risen, she seems to have quite a beloved comedic prowess and she already leapfrogged one of her cast mates (Aidy Bryant) to get nominated. She probably won’t get in without McKinnon but after Samira Wiley leapfrogged Ann Dowd for a similarly muted season of The Handmaid’s Tale, I’m not looking at her too lightly here.

14. Bebe Neuwirth, Julia – There’s something about Julia that feels so actor friendly? Perhaps it’s the period setting or the fact it’s a biopic that could very well find some form of appeal in older voters in the television academy with its discussions around middle age, struggles with starhood and focus on a television icon from the 1960s. Neuwirth is a very established character actress who has already won Emmys in the past for Cheers and part of the attention Julia had before it premiered was around the Frasier reunion between her and David Hyde Pierce so I can see some sentimentality manifest itself in some form. I guess my only hesitancy here (along with the mechanics of this field) is that whilst she’s very prominent (and very good) on the show, she feels very much like the third cast member of the show? Sarah Lancashire is the only lead but David Hyde Pierce is the closest thing the show has to a Tony Shalhoub-esque character whilst Neuwirth kind of feels as narratively prominent as someone like Marin Hinkle. The show would probably be a big acting player or a series nominee if she got in.

15. Amy Ryan, Only Murders in the Building – Outside of that episode, It kind of feels like no one really cares about this performance and even then the initial hype at the end of the season seems to have all but dissipated. She is quite a well accomplished and regarded Oscar nominated actor though so I won’t count her out completely but at this point I can see voters just nominating both male leads from Only Murders and then calling it a day.

16. Zazie Beetz, Atlanta – As with both her male supporting co-stars, her star has risen quite a bit since the show was last on air. But at the same time it almost feels like she was a coattail last time round and I just don’t know if Atlanta is going to be strong enough in the series race for her to get back in (regardless of how they perform both it and Maisel are probably going to be at their lowest positions in their history in series due to having more or less been 3rd the last times they faced competition this dynamic).

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Well my assertion a couple of minutes ago that McKinnon had little going for her at this stage ended up ageing poorly quite quickly lol.

12. Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live – Maybe she is infallible but she also just feels like filler at this point and those type of name-check contenders tend to drop out as time goes on, the novelty behind their works fade and their shows weaken as contenders. Mandy Patinkin outlasted Homeland in the series race but he was eventually dropped for the final season. Allison Janney and Tracee Ellis Ross were both dropped in 2019. McKinnon got back in 2019 even as SNL was dropped more or less everywhere else so she’ll be one of the first people from the show to make it in this year but even then I just feel like the disparity between that field and this one in competitiveness is so wide that her ability to crack into a stacked field may prove useless here. She was a very recent winner in 2019 and SNL was still fairly buzzy. McKinnon had sketches where she was playing the likes of Angela Merkel and Rudy Giuliani going viral online whilst if I wasn’t on this site I don’t think I’d even know whether she was still a cast member or not. Her best hopes of a nod are if Abbott Elementary doesn’t take off and The Flight Attendant underperforms.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Here comes the farewell nominations

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

I already have McKinnon, Bryant, and Davidson in so I feel better about them now along with Strong, Yang, and Thompson

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

Profile picture
    samy.chrr
    Topics:

16. Zazie Beetz, Atlanta – As with both her male supporting co-stars, her star has risen quite a bit since the show was last on air. But at the same time it almost feels like she was a coattail last time round and I just don’t know if Atlanta is going to be strong enough in the series race for her to get back in (regardless of how they perform both it and Maisel are probably going to be at their lowest positions in their history in series due to having more or less been 3rd the last times they faced competition this dynamic).

She only appeared in 4 episodes this season, she’ll be submitted in Guest.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.