Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

That explains it. The problem is that the ratings are half of even S1 when it had no established base. That’s what worries me. Something like 0.5-0.55 million wouldn’t be that much of an issue.

HBO’s quite hard to judge at the moment, to be honest. I don’t think it’s entirely clear just how much traffic has moved over to HBOMax. Westworld is probably a  good test (I think it was the last show to air prior to it launching). They don’t do Nielsen either.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

It takes a queen like Kate Winslet to get HBO a show mostly scoring a million+ live viewers now; season ended with 1.52 million.

Though their upcoming expensive blockbuster franchise adaptations should do.

Profile picture
    Clement
    Topics:

Alexander skarsgard was amazing in the finale of Atlanta. If he scores an guest nod for this and Succession, would he be the first person to score guest noms in both drama and Comedy?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Alexander skarsgard was amazing in the finale of Atlanta. If he scores an guest nod for this and Succession, would he be the first person to score guest noms in both drama and Comedy?

No. Laurie Metcalf did it in 2016. Harriet Walter will probably do that this year as well.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

It takes a queen like Kate Winslet to get HBO a show mostly scoring a million+ live viewers now; season ended with 1.52 million.

Though their upcoming expensive blockbuster franchise adaptations should do.

I don’t see how Kate Winslet fits into this discussion regarding Barry.

P.S.: FYI the final episode of Mare Of Easttown saw a viewership rating of 4 million, not 1.52 million.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

I’m saying the only HBO show that mostly scored a million live viewers is Mare, so Barry’s anemic live viewership doesn’t necessarily mean much. FYI.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I’m saying the only HBO show that mostly scored a million live viewers is Mare, so Barry’s anemic live viewership doesn’t necessarily mean much. FYI.

Just to name a few: Chernobyl.Big Little Lies. The Night Of. Game Of Thrones. Euphoria. Even when you take HBO Max, The Flight Attendant. The Undoing.
    I’m as much of a Kate Winslet stan as anyone on this forum but let’s not distort facts.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

You have been sleeping for this past years, it seems.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Linear ratings are almost a completely irrelevant metric for HBO series. I May Destroy You had an average linear viewership of 128,000 yet it received 9 Emmy nominations and won 2 awards (one of which was an above the line Emmy over ratings and streaming juggernauts Mare of Easttown and The Queen’s Gambit). Impeachment received quadruple the amount of ratings on FX compared to what Scenes From a Marriage scored for HBO and yet the latter was the one that managed to break through with a SAG nomination. Perry Mason‘s season finale score over 1 million viewers on cable and yet the show couldn’t even get a drama series nomination in a barren field. Ditto with The Outsider which only received a sole guest acting nomination for Jason Bateman.

There are only a total of 20,000 members of the Television Academy and recent years have shown that that content from HBO/HBO Max and Netflix has had an increasing duopoly on their viewing habits. These shows have built in industry visibility due to the platforms they’re on. People will watch shows on their streaming services for the sake of watching a HBO or a Netflix show whilst those on other streamers or networks tend to only garner attention due to strong word of mouth because you have to seek them out. Barry having had a drop in linear viewership after a few years away and one of the biggest shows on the planet that was its scheduling leading having ended doesn’t change the fact that in the space of only 4 episodes it has already entered the top 10 of all shows on HBO Max in the US this year, the fact it’s one of the most critically acclaimed programmes of the Emmy season or that several high profile industry names have been tweeting about this season. This game at the end of the day is all about who is watching rather than how many people are watching your show and Barry seems to be doing very well in generating industry buzz.

#26 on IMDB, behind Winning Time and We Own This City isn’t great

Surprisingly enough that’s actually the highest the show has ever been on IMDB(Pro).

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    leftyouthere
    Topics:

The show did lose a really solid lead-in. The Time Traveler’s Wife could grow an audience in spite of the bad reviews over time, but who knows if they’d watch something as dark as Barry after watching a sweeping romance.

I think announcing the renewal so early helped the show break into HBO Max’s top 10 this week. There were a lot of comments from people who hadn’t realized the show was back with new episodes until this week and now they’re binging the first four episodes.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m as much of a Kate Winslet stan as anyone on this forum but let’s not distort facts.

Mare is the only show in the 2020s to get a million on linear for HBO.

I agree ratings on linear are probably mostly irrelevant especially for HBO. I do think there are plenty of other ways to measure that are more inclusive of streaming that are not perfect but generally give us an idea of where a show is at.

Maybe I’ve been looking at this stuff a lot but I really haven’t been that shocked by many cancellations this year? Has anyone?

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I am pretty sure one of the reasons Barry jumped into the top 10 on HBOMax already is because a lot of people were rewatching season 2 before the premiere.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Surprisingly enough that’s actually the highest the show has ever been on IMDB(Pro).

Almost all comedies trend lower on IMDB. (Network comedies really underperform consistently and kind of need to be compared to each other). They also tend to do badly on pre-release search. I will probably separate them in next cycle on the IMDB list.

It’s above re-runs of The Office/Friends, which I think is a good sign.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

“HBO Max is an American subscription video on demand (SVOD) service owned by Warner Bros. Discovery. Launched in the United States on May 27, 2020.”
    I meant this decade, on tv. But feel free to list every show that ever existed if that’s like your thing.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Mare is the only show in the 2020s to get a million on linear for HBO.

The Undoing actually had better linear ratings than Mare.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.