Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t necessarily disagree but its support in the writing wing alone makes me thing it will stick around for at least another year. They could even sneak in a surprise acting nomination. That or snub, neither would surprise me.

I find What We Do In The Shadows really hard to judge for some reason. It does feel like it might be mostly a writers’ show?

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

I find What We Do In The Shadows really hard to judge for some reason. It does feel like it might be mostly a writers’ show?

Yeah, but TV is such a writers medium. One nomination is negligible but three means they are really feeling the show.

Besides, “On The Run” should have won had it not had to compete against other WWDIS episodes and Matt Berry deserved the supporting actor win over Goldstein had actors been paying attention.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Besides, “On The Run” should have won had it not had to compete against other WWDIS episodes and Matt Berry deserved the supporting actor win over Goldstein had actors been paying attention.

? Berry wasn’t nominated

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

? Berry wasn’t nominated

I know. Hence “had actors been paying attention”

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I know. Hence “had actors been paying attention”

Ah, yeah, I think I agree. I don’t feel hugely confident actors branch wise with it.

Does anyone think they’ll go deeper than Goldstein in supporting actor for Ted Lasso this time round?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What We Do in the Shadows is an interesting one. So many factors that were in place for it the year it under-performed aren’t this time round (it got dropped by the PGA for Cobra Kai of all things, it doesn’t have that Spring lockdown release it had for its second season and the end of year critical consensus seems to be that this season was a drop from season 2 – it was just edged out by Ted Lasso as the most acclaimed comedy of 2020 whilst it was close to being 6th last year) so I don’t have it in right now. However I do find it striking that, sans PGA, it repeated almost all of its guild nominations this time round and even pulled off a repeat win with the Art Directors Guild (in spite of stiff competition from stuff like Only Murders and Hacks). So I do wonder if it could end up performing like something like The Handmaid’s Tale season 3 (which was also dropped at PGA for another popular skewing series that didn’t land a series nod) where its support is too strong with the craftspeople and writers and the field is wide open enough that it capitalises from the lack of consensus. This being said The Handmaid’s Tale of course also had actors branch support which is something What We Do in the Shadows has not shown evidence of it having.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Does anyone think they’ll go deeper than Goldstein in supporting actor for Ted Lasso this time round?

Deeper than 4 nominations? I suspect they’ll be lucky to keep 2 this year.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Reading the insights of all of you, I would like to add that no show has gotten 3 Comedy Writing noms in a year since 30 Rock did in 2009 (it won that year, both in Writing and in Series). That clearly shows there is/was overwhelming support for WWDOITS among writers, which is bound to last atleast for sometime. I personally think it’ll get two nominations in Writing this time around and will miss Series, purely due to the extremely stacked competition. That being said, the Writers Branch of the Television Academy is very fickle, atleast in the Comedy Categories (e.g. they dropped The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel just the year after the won in 2018, they dropped Modern Family in 2012 after winning two in a row in 2010 and 2011). WWDOITS making into series this time around would be a sign that it’s passion below the line and in Writing is just too much to ignore.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

That’s what I meant? Is it possible they just go Goldstein (who I really can’t see missing?)

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

That’s what I meant? Is it possible they just go Goldstein (who I really can’t see missing?)

It’ll be weird for the same Television Academy that nominated 3 Modern Family guys in 2010, 4 in 2011, 4 in 2012, 3 in 2013 and 2 in 2014 (on a restricted ballot nonetheless) will go from 4 Ted Lasso guys to one. Hunt makes a lot of sense as a second Ted Lasso nominee, not just because he has a showcase episode but also he has added credentials as a writer on the show. Mohammed makes less sense because many hated his character arc and I’m not sure how the Academy will react to such an unlikable character. Swift and Jimoh are technically possible although it’s hard to see them make in and if they do, it’ll just be a sign of strength for Hannah Waddingham with whom they share a lot of scenes (Swift in S1 and Jimoh in S2). Dunster is unlikely if he failed to make in for S1 although if he does it’s a sign of support for Juno Temple. Tbh I don’t see how Ted Lasso wins Series if it falls so dramatically in Supporting Actor nominations. Personally I think a second Ted Lasso guy (Hunt most likely)is more sensible than just one, considering series frontunners rarely fall at such a rate (4 to 1) in acting nominations.

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

That’s what I meant? Is it possible they just go Goldstein (who I really can’t see missing?)

If Goldstein misses, Ted Lasso is going to shrink badly in acting nominations this year or the subsequent year. He’s probably the second/third most likely nominee for the show after Sudeikis and Waddingham. Not to mention a goodbye to it’s series chances. (I don’t see it happening at all (like absolutely not). Goldstein was a co-lead this season, is the incumbent winner and got nominated at SAG in the incumbent series winner where he’s also a writer.)

Emmy FYC

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

It’ll be weird for the same Television Academy that nominated 3 Modern Family guys in 2010, 4 in 2011, 4 in 2012, 3 in 2013 and 2 in 2014 (on a restricted ballot nonetheless) will go from 4 Ted Lasso guys to one. Hunt makes a lot of sense as a second Ted Lasso nominee, not just because he has a showcase episode but also he has added credentials as a writer on the show. Mohammed makes less sense because many hated his character arc and I’m not sure how the Academy will react to such an unlikable character. Swift and Jimoh are technically possible although it’s hard to see them make in and if they do, it’ll just be a sign of strength for Hannah Waddingham with whom they share a lot of scenes (Swift in S1 and Jimoh in S2). Dunster is unlikely if he failed to make in for S1 although if he does it’s a sign of support for Juno Temple. Tbh I don’t see how Ted Lasso wins Series if it falls so dramatically in Supporting Actor nominations. Personally I think a second Ted Lasso guy (Hunt most likely)is more sensible than just one, considering series frontunners rarely fall at such a rate (4 to 1) in acting nominations.

Ted Lasso got all those supporting actor noms in a weak year. Look who’s back this year, the Barry guys, Shalhoub, the Atlanta guys …

I mean even that unfunny guy from Hacks got in last year. They couldn’t give it away.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

This is reaching. They can easily keep 2 and even go for 3. Barry was never beloved by TV Academy in the way Lasso is and Atlanta is kinda flopping, so them getting the never-nominated Stanfield in now would be weird.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Ted Lasso got all those supporting actor noms in a weak year.

I am not sure there is a single program for which four nominations could be justified this year given how much TV has emerged.

If we get the fourth instance of that in four years after it was unheard of before I suspect the unlimited ballot will get called into question.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Ted Lasso is more likely to get 3 Supporting Actor nominations before Barry getting 3 in that category. I just find it very difficult to see Ted Lasso fall from 4 to 1 in a year.

With that being said, now just watch the Comedy Supporting Actor category be 4 Ted Lasso guys, 3 Barry guys and Tony Shalhoub.

Emmy FYC

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.