Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

This is reaching. They can easily keep 2 and even go for 3. Barry was never beloved by TV Academy in the way Lasso is and Atlanta is kinda flopping, so them getting the never-nominated Stanfield in now would be weird.

Barry has received 30 primetime Emmy nominations for 2 seasons including series twice, won 3 acting Emmys and 3 tech for sound, got ALL of its supporting cast nominated for its last season in an actually competitive year, is beloved by writers and directors and has support across cinematography and editing. The Academy fucking loves Barry.

Ted Lasso was up against Cobra Kai and Emily in Paris last year. It’s easy to get 20 nominations like TL did when you’re up against basically no one.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

The Academy definitely loves BOTH Barry and Ted Lasso.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Skimmed through their Time List, other Emmy contending individuals included

• Andrew Garfield (by Martin Scorsese)
    • Sarah Jessica Parker (by Cynthia Nixon)
    • Amanda Seyfried (by David Fincher)
    • Quinta Brunson (by Lebron James)
    • Pete Davidson (by Jack Harlow)
    • Jeremy Strong (by Aaron Sorkin)
    • Ariana DeBose (by Kristin Chenoweth)
    • Zendaya (by Denis Villeneuve)
    • Taika Waititi (by Sacha Baron Cohen)
    • Kris Jenner (by Ryan Secrest)
    • Hwang Dong-hyuk (by Lee Jung-jae)
    • Issa Rae (by Robin Thede)

Also Bela Bajaria (Executive of Original Content at Netflix) had a write up by Mindy Kaling, given how connected she seems to be and how much hits she’s made for so many companies, Kaling feels like such an inevitable nominee/winner in the future

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

I feel confident predicting a Smart and Goldstein repeat. Eibinder could upset Waddingham and Hader/Sudeikis is gonna be tight.

Profile picture
    Drama King
    Topics:

Eibinder could upset Waddingham and Hader/Sudeikis is gonna be tight.

I really didn’t anticipate how taken I would be with Einbinder this season. If she keeps it up through the other episodes, and if people are watching, then I agree. The idea that she is still supporting, though… it’s almost like Smart has been supporting her through a couple of the episodes.

Although Kate McKinnon (now that she’s left SNL) and Janelle James (if she is nominated and is the only Abbott nominee) also seem like possibilities.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Sudeikis is not losing to Hader, unless Ted Lasso loses Comedy Series, which it isn’t.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I’d argue Barry gets triple nominations in Supporting Actor before Ted Lasso. Overall, Lasso has been a bigger acting contender but I think that sort of thing becomes less of a decisive factor when it concerns shows (already embraced by the actors in a big way btw) getting those 3rd, 4th slots in a category. Like how The Handmaid’s Tale was able to get a 4th supporting actress in before The Crown last year, even though the discrepancy in their strength at that point was much bigger than between Barry and Ted Lasso will be.

Goldstein is potentially ahead of everyone involved but after that I don’t see much support for the other three guys, especially Hunt and Swift. I have Mohammed in my predictions but Nate’s heel turn was controversial to say the least, the episode centered around Coach Beard is their lowest rated one on IMDb by a significant margin and (I hope) I don’t need to mention why Swift is most likely going to be a non-factor.

Unlike the Barry supporting men, where there’s an individual prominence and appreciation for both the character and the performance of all three of Winkler, Carrigan and Root, the Ted Lasso guys largely benefitted from competing in an unimaginably weak field and that will pose a challenge for them to get back in in a year like this when there’s no individual factor to put them ahead. I think it’s telling that even CC, which gave Lasso a 4/4 sweep this year, didn’t go beyond Goldstein in this category.

Even then, Hader beating Sudeikis and Barry being a stronger overall contender is a very real possibility that the above argument might not even be wholly necessary in the end.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

The Academy definitely loves BOTH Barry and Ted Lasso.

Never said Emmys DON’T LOVE Lasso, but it’s hard to not say that the love for Lasso at the Emmys and in the industry overall probably runs deeper with Lasso. I’m predicting both Carrigan and Winkler to score nominations anyways.

I’m mostly objecting to this view people here seem to have that scoring more than one Supporting Actor will be unimaginable hurdle to climb for Lasso, because that does not make any sense.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Unlike the Barry supporting men, where there’s an individual prominence and appreciation for both the character and the performance of all three of Winkler, Carrigan and Root, the Ted Lasso guys largely benefitted from competing in an unimaginably weak field and that will pose a challenge for them to get back in in a year like this. I think it’s telling that even CC, which gave Lasso a 4/4 sweep this year, didn’t go beyond Goldstein in this category.

Even as someone who prefers Ted Lasso (personal taste) as a program, I think the acting as you go down the line is stronger for Barry. My affection for the former is not going to stop me picking solid performances from Barry or blindly selecting everyone.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Even as someone who prefers Ted Lasso (personal taste) as a program, I think the acting as you go down the line is stronger for Barry. My affection for the former is not going to stop me picking solid performances from Barry or blindly selecting everyone.

Very succinctly put.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I feel confident predicting a Smart and Goldstein repeat. Eibinder could upset Waddingham and Hader/Sudeikis is gonna be tight.

I really didn’t anticipate how taken I would be with Einbinder this season. If she keeps it up through the other episodes, and if people are watching, then I agree. The idea that she is still supporting, though… it’s almost like Smart has been supporting her through a couple of the episodes.

Although Kate McKinnon (now that she’s left SNL) and Janelle James (if she is nominated and is the only Abbott nominee) also seem like possibilities.

This is going to be Sarah Snook/Julia Garner all over again I see.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Sarah Goldberg is definitely a dark horse and a performance worthy of winning. If the Emmys go hard for Abbott Elementary I could Brunson upsetting Smart too. Supporting actor is probably the most competitive field in comedy outside of writing/directing.

Right now Carrigan, Winkler, Bryan Tyree Henry, and Tony Shaloub are coming off or currently giving great performances that are better than anything Goldstein has done in either season of Ted Lasso. Saying he’s safe is outrageous.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m not really feeling this confidence in Smart repeating. I do think she can and I even think Hacks can win comedy series (I have it in 1st in my predictions at the moment) but Brunson’s hype doesn’t seem to be slowing down any soon and she feels much more like the “urgent choice” of this field (almost like Smart was last year when she was up against Cuoco).

Smart will probably get a really meaty tape towards the end of the season but I don’t think it’s impossible for this to be another Anya Taylor-Joy/Kate Winslet or Sandra Oh/Jodie Comer situation where the early frontrunner is presumed to be unbeatable due to their own individual hype and their show’s strength in the series race but then the underdog who could leapfrogs them from behind due to building momentum close to the final round of voting. Hacks may not be a tech juggernaut like The Queen’s Gambit was but it’s shown itself to have strong enough support from the below the line and writers/directors branch for me to think that even if it ends up being far ahead of Abbott Elementary in the series race that it might not necessarily be something that translates in acting.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.