Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Abbott is different since it’s got it’s already got it’s base build now, and next day Hulu takes care of the streaming issue. It’s obviously ABC’s #1 this year (it’s #2 on DisneyTV’s FYC site, behind OMITB).

When voters default back to Tracee Ellis Ross as their network selection and blank both Brunson and Moore.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I don’t agree much that Quinta Brunson is win competitive… everyone loves her for creating Abbott Elementary but I haven’t seen anyone watching the character Janine and be like “QUINTA BRUSON NEEDS AN EMMY FOR HER ACTING!!!” and I think this is a little necessary to win. The comparisons with Kate Winslet don’t work for me because Winslet had people praising her performance week after week.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I don’t agree much that Quinta Brunson is win competitive… everyone loves her for creating Abbott Elementary but I haven’t seen anyone watching the character Janine and be like “QUINTA BRUSON NEEDS AN EMMY FOR HER ACTING!!!”

I don’t really see her as win competitive though but I think it’s similar to Phoebe Waller Bridge. I’m not sure if she’d have won lead actress if she wasn’t the creator.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

PWB actually had buzz for her acting tho people love running the narrative here that her win is pretty unpopular because this site is full of JLD stans but her acting was raved on social media as much as her writing.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It doesn’t matter whether you give the world’s most greatest performance or not if you’re your show’s auteur. Whilst his performance did have its fans Donald Glover didn’t give a performance that even some of the most ardent fans of Atlanta would say was by far the standout of his own show yet he won every single award he was nominated for the first season due to how monumental the show (which had one of the most critically acclaimed debut seasons of television ever) and the strong quality behind his work in each hat of production he was involved in (acting, directing, writing, producing etc). Phoebe Waller-Bridge gave a performance that had its own fervent support base but you don’t need to be a “JLD stan running some narrative” to know that Fleabag was not the world’s biggest actors branch favourite like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (which won both other acting categories and two SAG categories including ensemble over the show) and Veep (which had 8 acting Emmy wins and took SAG ensemble for its 6th season) were up until that point in time or to say that Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s work as a creator and writer on her show (alongside giving the show’s central performance) was a big part of the Fleabag narrative. Dan Levy’s acting wasn’t a particularly raved about part of the Schitt’s Creek discourse (and unlike Phoebe Waller-Bridge or even his co-star Catherine O’Hara he didn’t sweep the television awards) but he created, wrote and directed one (alongside acting in) of the most beloved sitcoms of the 21st century which featured landmark LGBTQ+ representation.

There’s a general sense of love towards industry professionals when they try their hat at multiple facets of production. Look at how many auteurs the Television Academy have nominated in the past four years alone (Pamela Adlon, Aidy Bryant, Larry David, Natasha Lyonne, Issa Rae, Ramy Youssef) and even given wins to (Michaela Coel, Bill Hader etc). Television is a storytelling medium and immersing yourself deeper by succeeding at trying your hand at other hats of production is something that garners just as much respect from your peers as when an actor “transforms” into a famous or notorious real life character and Brunson not only has that killer “breakout auteur behind one of the most critically buzzed about shows of the year” narrative but also the fact that Abbott Elementary achieved all of its success as a broadcast network sitcom (and essentially revived a television medium that was on life support). When people who are casual TV viewers talk about or watch the show the first thing that comes to mind might be how funny Janelle James and Sheryl Lee Ralph are (or how hot Tyler James Williams is) but to people in the industry, it will be at how monumental this show’s success has been and how much of it is down to the success of a previously unknown creative who has never had their own television series before now. Brunson was named as one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world right now for a reason. Honestly if Abbott Elementary is even able to get at least a series or one acting nod outside of Brunson, I’ll predict her to win and not really look back even if she does end up losing.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

PWB actually had buzz for her acting tho people love running the narrative here that her win is pretty unpopular because this site is full of JLD stans but her acting was raved on social media as much as her writing.

There was buzz for her acting in the same way there’s buzz for Brunson’s acting or there was for Glover’s. It was most certainly not an actual singling out of the performance that you are seeing with Hader this year or other auteurs like Adlon and Coel in the past. People were pushing the show and her to win but that’s a wildly different thing than what you claim. The difference here is perfectly illustrated by the Quinta Brunson deserves an Emmy and Janelle James deserves an Emmy tweets. Feel like you are conflating the two.

Fleabag was the frontrunner in writing by far where it had 4 times the number of people predicting it to win than PWB in actress. The fact that many people thought Fleabag would and could win series without PWB says it all. Saying the acting and the writing had equal buzz & raves is rewriting history.

And no one here ever claimed her win is unpopular? I doubt anyone is that delusional. It is here but I assure you it isn’t just the JLD stans who think she wasn’t the best in her category.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Brunson’s challenge to overcome is that the show is a tad too sweet. And that when I think of her performance, I just see her overdoing the fourth wall (and not as effectively as PWB lbr). Another challenge is that she’s not the most interesting character in the show.

I still think she’ll be nominated but she won’t win. I accept that happy comedies are winners, but they need a lil bite at the same time, and lots of tech support.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

There was buzz for her acting in the same way there’s buzz for Brunson’s acting or there was for Glover’s. It was most certainly not an actual singling out of the performance that you are seeing with Hader this year or other auteurs like Adlon and Coel in the past. 

…that’s just not true. She and clips of her performance were everywhere on social media that summer, with people claiming she was one the funniest comedian around etc. People especially loved her delivery in the breaking the fourth wall scenes. Definitely not just for her writing was praised but her acting aswell. Gd users not predicting her to win doesn’t mean much except that people just thought it would be JLD again due to her track record,

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I want whatever goggles people who think the only reason 2493 Gold Derby users, 35 GD experts and editors, pundits, television critics and global news desks were predicting Julia Louis-Dreyfus to win in 2019 was only “because of her track record”.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I want whatever goggles people who think the only reason 2493 Gold Derby users, 35 GD experts and editors, pundits, television critics and global news desks were predicting Julia Louis-Dreyfus to win in 2019 was “because of her track record”.

I don’t really have an opinion on the rest of this topic, but people on GD predict some awards categories every year without having seen all the nominees, whether that’s because they don’t have time to watch everything, accessibility etc. My personal favourite example of this is Primal in Animated Program just last season, a show that basically no one other than animators watched, but users here didn’t need to watch to confidently predict it to win based on its style and the creator’s Emmy history.

I predicted JLD for the final season of Veep because of her record and hadn’t watched the show in years, but had PWB in writing and Fleabag for series (and had watched it recently). I acknowledge I was probably in the minority of users though.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Brunson’s challenge to overcome is that the show is a tad too sweet. And that when I think of her performance, I just see her overdoing the fourth wall (and not as effectively as PWB lbr).

Another challenge is that she’s not the most interesting character in the show. I still think she’ll be nominated but she won’t win. I accept that happy comedies are winners, but they need a lil bite at the same time, and lots of tech support.

I think people see Abbott Elementary as earnest more than sweet. A lot of the discussion about the “scammer shows” and true crime dramas clogging the season suggests that there’s a big appetite for lighter, more feelgood fare. And Abbott is a smart, savvy take on the reality of the American education system and the backdrop of that makes the comedy somewhat bittersweet regardless. That seems like more than enough edge given the subject matter. Maybe this will be more of a problem in future seasons, but I think they’re fine right now.

The reality is a lot of critics/voters are patting themselves on the back for liking the show.

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Top 3 Contenders:

Series:

• Ted Lasso
    • Hacks
    • Barry

Actor:

• Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
    • Bill Hader, Barry
    • Martin Short, Only Murders in the Building

Actress:

• Jean Smart, Hacks
    • Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
    • Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Supporting Actor:

• Brett Goldstein, Ted Lasso
    • Henry Winkler, Barry
    • Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Supporting Actress:

• Hannah Einbinder, Hacks
    • Hannah Waddingham, Ted Lasso
    • Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Directing:

• Barry
    • Hacks
    • Ted Lasso

Writing:

• Hacks
    • Ted Lasso
    • Abbott Elementary

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Multi-Grammy Winning Artist - Olivia Rodrigo

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

FYC:
    - Squid Game
    - Severance
    - This Is Us
    - Stranger Things
    - Reservation Dogs

Profile picture
    Huncrweo
    Topics:

I’m not sure I agree that the buzz for PWB’s acting was the same as Glover’s or Brunson’s. Fleabag, despite featuring a strong supporting cast, was very much centred around her performance. She’s in every single scene IIRC, and the fourth-wall breaking allowed her to expose multiple facets of her character in any given moment. It’d be a pretty impressive acting showcase even if she wasn’t also writing the show.

Comparatively, Atlanta isn’t nearly as focused on Glover, and the same goes for Abbott Elementary & Brunson. Like Fleabag, those shows have strong supporting casts, but unlike Fleabag, those cast members are allowed to take centre-stage themselves in episodes or spin off into their own subplots, because Atlanta Abbott aren’t internalised around one singular POV like Fleabag is. You can’t talk about Fleabag without mentioning PWB, but you could definitely talk about Atlanta or Abbott Elementary without mentioning Glover or Brunson.

There’s no Brian Tyree Henry or Janelle James equivalent on Fleabag, imo. Maybe Sian Clifford comes close but even then she spends all of her screentime paired with PWB anyway.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m not sure I agree that the buzz for PWB’s acting was the same as Glover’s or Brunson’s. Fleabag, despite featuring a strong supporting cast, was very much centred around her performance. She’s in every single scene IIRC, and the fourth-wall breaking allowed her to expose multiple facets of her character in any given moment. It’d be a pretty impressive acting showcase even if she wasn’t also writing the show.

I think the point is not to diss Waller-Bridge, it’s more that auteurs are afforded the advantage to create a character and their affectations and line delivery etc from the ground up to suit them, which isn’t afforded to most actors. This is particularly true of Waller-Bridge, who adapted it from an (inherently market tested) stage show (which I’ve seen and was great, but for which the performance and characterisation does not differ almost at all), then was given a TV program, then had three years to produce a couple of hours of (A grade, brilliant TV) for season 2.

It’s almost impossible to judge it next to other (actor for hire) performances, the acting and writing kind of blends in to one entity.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

The whole Fleabag thing is so frustrating because I precited it and her ins season one for nominations and when it didn’t happen the following year I was just like well voters are stupid and don’t know what they’re missing with regard to the show. I still predicted it for nomination at 100/1 odds but I failed to see the sweep. I did have them #2 on everything almost behind Barry.

Not sure what my point is other than I was right about Fleabag and my confidence was beaten out of me with regard to it.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.