Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

What do we think about Physical season 1 and Rose Byrne given that Physical season 2 – which is reportedly quite good – airs on 3 June, 13 days before nom voting starts?

There does seem to be a lot of passion behind Byrne’s performance and greater AppleTV+ exposure from the CODA haul at the Oscars and Murray Bartlett’s addition to the show in the midst of a lot of hype could give it greater eyeballs.

That being said I don’t know if voters will even find time to discover it with the hefty streaming pile at the moment.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If there doesn’t feel like a clear consensus in the comedy actress category after the nominations are announced, I don’t think it’s impossible for Kaley Cuoco to upset.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Jaket1991
    Topics:

Rooting for Cuoco though I do believe the show should have been placed in drama this season. The comedic undertones don’t validate it. I know some it’s most memorable scenes are comedic but I put this down to the writing and impeccable comedic delivery of Cuoco and Mamet. If you look at the show as a whole it should be drama

NB: I do appreciate this isn’t to be discussed in this thread before I derail it with the above

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

If I only watched the few episodes of The Flight Attendant and only did my regular internetting of reddit and Twitter I would be shocked by a second nomination let alone a win by Kaley Cuoco. This place is the only place I see support let alone such fervent and passionate support. It is gonna be a big win for a lot of people here if she pulls it off.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

i can’t see it being a shocking return nom given the emmy noms for her/show/wtg/dir/sup, sag ensemble/actress noms, globe show/actress noms.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I have a question. Keeping all biases aside, Jean Smart is unquestionably #1 and her repeat seems more and more likely with each passing episode of Hacks but who is #2 and #3 ?

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

This place is the only place I see support let alone such fervent and passionate support. It is gonna be a big win for a lot of people here if she pulls it off.

I agree – anecdotally Twitter and Reddit aren’t buzzy at all and I do have to agree I haven’t really seen fervent support elsewhere.

I disagree on it being the only place there’s support (but I think that mostly has to do with internet bubbles, I’ve seen it moreso on Instagram and Facebook (notably in a closed Facebook group I’m in which I know has a lot of LA based industry people in it). Even there, though, it almost entirely for Cuoco.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I have a question. Keeping all biases aside, Jean Smart is unquestionably #1 and her repeat seems more and more likely with each passing episode of Hacks but who is #2 and #3 ?

Brosnahan is probably #2 by virtue of being a former winner.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

If I only watched the few episodes of The Flight Attendant and only did my regular internetting of reddit and Twitter I would be shocked by a second nomination let alone a win by Kaley Cuoco. This place is the only place I see support let alone such fervent and passionate support. It is gonna be a big win for a lot of people here if she pulls it off.

This is such a biased statement when she’s raved in professional reviews.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

This is such a biased statement when she’s raved in professional reviews.

Putting opinions on Cuoco aside: I’ll defend this here in that he’s reporting his own bubble (and often our own bubbles aren’t an inclusive picture) – and even accounting for algorithms, he is  correct.

There’s not a TFA tweet with over 1000 likes or a Reddit post with over 500 when you do an advanced search.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

i can’t see it being a shocking return nom given the emmy noms for her/show/wtg/dir/sup, sag ensemble/actress noms, globe show/actress noms.

Seeing as I can’t like any posts at the moment, I want to echo this. Feelings aside, what happened to all the data driven prognosticators everyone purports to be? Season 1 got a huge bundle of noms from multiple groups.

Season 2 writing wasn’t very good, but people need to separate categories – good acting/writing/cinemtography/whatever can and should stand on their own merits. Cuoco and Mamet absolutely deserve acting noms and the show deserves several tech noms including directing. What TFA certainly does not deserve is writing, or supporting actress for Perez.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Brosnahan is probably #2 by virtue of being a former winner.

I’d argue both Brunson and Cuoco are ahead of her. I don’t think a win from 4 years and 3 seasons ago should hold that much weight, especially when your show is on a decline.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’d argue both Brunson and Cuoco are ahead of her. I don’t think a win from 4 years and 3 seasons ago should hold that much weight, especially when your show is on a decline.

Oh, my opinion is exactly this, but also voters can be kind of lazy.

Profile picture
    runninglikewater
    Topics:

I am adding in Vanessa Bayer for ‘I Love That for You’

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

but also voters can be kind of lazy.

I think this is countered by the strength in competition this year. Brosnahan could very well be in the top 3 of the nominations round of voting in her category because she’s a previous winner in a likely comedy series nominee but when it comes to the winner stage of voting, it’s going to be a mountain to climb a plurality passion based voting system when fatigue has been setting itself in as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has gone on an on due to its previous awards dominance.

I’d wager nominations for Brunson, Cuoco and Lancashire regardless of how their shows do overall would already signal they’re ahead of Brosnahan because it would indicate to me that in spite of the competitiveness of the field (as well as Brunson and Lancashire not being very established names and The Flight Attendant not being the biggest awards contender in the world) that they have enough passion to carry them through in the first place. With Abbott Elementary, The Flight Attendant and Julia also being slightly under-seen (due to being some of the most recent contenders to air) all three leads also have the opportunity to build momentum during that period in the Summer between the nominations announcement and the Emmy ceremony in a way that Brosnahan probably won’t due to Maisel already having reached peak visibility.

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.