Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Manav
wolfali
probablyROB
  • Profile picture
    ScottyDog
    Topics:

Quinton Brunson is the potential surprise winner. There is a lot of passion for her and the show. It’s being treated like ABC’s prized show and Disney will put some money behind it. It’s definitely going to pick up buzz over the summer on Disney+. I could see some of the supporting cast even getting in. Jean Smart is definitely the frontrunner, but Brunson could definitely pick up steam, being she’s also a writer on it.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I think if Abbott Elementary gets a Glee/Modern Family type acting nomination overperformance for its first season (both shows won for Jane Lynch and Eric Stonestreet), Brunson might be a massive threat to win. We’ve seen many instances of performerr pick up steam after nominations announcement and go on to win.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think if Abbott Elementary gets a Glee/Modern Family type acting nomination overperformance for its first season (both shows won for Jane Lynch and Eric Stonestreet),  

Jane Lynch and Eric Stonestreet’s wins are inefficacious comparisons as they were under different voting systems and television landscapes to this one.

Brunson however could be a big threat to win on the basis that her show and her work not only has strong passion but the show has become such a big phenomenon in the zeitgeist that, a bit like with Fleabag three years ago, the first thing anyone is going to talk about on Emmy nominations morning is how well Abbott Elementary does. If it Brunson, James, Ralph and the show are all nominated there will be chatter around how broadcast television has finally bounced back at the Emmys. If only Brunson gets in the narrative will be around how overlooked the show outside of her has been.

Either way regardless of how well the show performs overall or if it’s win competitive for comedy series or not, the momentum is going to be there for Brunson on nominations morning and that and the ability to build on it is all you need to win under this voting system.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Seeing as I can’t like any posts at the moment, I want to echo this. Feelings aside, what happened to all the data driven prognosticators everyone purports to be? Season 1 got a huge bundle of noms from multiple groups.

I don’t think overperforming in 2020 or 2021 as strong of a gauge. Competing in a barren wasteland is goin to lead to that.

It is a matter of opinion but it’s not an unfair one to call the past two years outliers. Especially 2021.

And again, my whole point was that I was speaking to my personal bubble outside of this place. There are very few shows in the running like that so to me it is notable. I usually hear/see something about the majority of contenders eventually. Even this year Bridgerton, a show completely off my radar last year, has finally wormed its way into my bubble. And I don’t think the support here is nearly as passionate as it is for The Flight Attendant.

And also, most non-Gold Derby people have no clue how well The Flight Attendant(or Bridgeton for that matter) actually performed last year because they didn’t win anything of note.

Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

Going just by personal bubbles, Only Murders would be sweeping the Emmys.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

This would also be the case with my personal bubble.

People my age watching it and younger as well as my parents gen for Martin and Short.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

It would be a toss up between Maisel, Atlanta, Hacks, and Barry for me. With Atlanta likely winning.

Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

Barry would be the frontrunner right now with Our Flag Means Death, What We Do in the Shadows, Ted Lasso, Abbott & Peacemaker not too far behind.

Profile picture
    Epor
    Topics:

Even tho I really enjoyed Only Murders, I don’t really see it sweeping. Votes in Actor will be split between Short and Martin, not really expecting any of them to win. Actress is very competitive this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gomez misses even tho she deserves that 6th spot, at least. Same case in supporting and guest categories

I do think it has a chance at Comedy series, writing and directing tho.

Profile picture
    beccatv
    Topics:

Everyone is totally sleeping on this show on these forums, and I think it took a second but it has REALLY hit its stride the last few weeks. Bayer is incredible and Molly Shannon and Jenifer Lewis should be discussed for Supporting Actress based on these most recent episodes that debuted this weekend. Lewis especially has never, ever been better. Matt Rogers is also outstanding.

I am adding in Vanessa Bayer for ‘I Love That for You’

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Ugh Rhys Darby deserves traction for Our Flag Means Death – he brought so much to a character that could have easily alienated the audience in different hands

Profile picture
    shrader_loc
    Topics:

Honestly, It should. It’s way better than shows like Hacks and Ted Lasso.

Profile picture
    GrammyLoser
    Topics:

Honestly, It should. It’s way better than shows like Hacks and Ted Lasso.

No, it’s trash.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

It’s going to play so well on an unlimited ballot. Well seen, well liked and the cast going S2 promo at the exact right time.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

It’ll be interesting to see which show benefits the most from the unlimited ballot.

Emmy FYC
    -Severance in all categories.
    -Ted Lasso in all categories.
    -The Dropout in all categories.

-Jennifer Coolidge, Connie Britton, Margaret Qualley, Colin Firth
    -Jung Ho-Yeon, Lee Yoo-Mi, Sarah Snook, Laura Linney.
    -Jean Smart, Kaley Cuoco, Juno Temple, Sarah Lancashire and Martin Short.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.