Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 11)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 504 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    jjjmoss
    Topics:

barry also feels…niche. idk if i’ve ever heard anyone irl talk about it

and the focus episode of the winning satc season included charlotte’s ‘alrighty’ and samantha’s ‘funky s****’ so i don’t think people found it to be a drama.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

Yeah I’m speechless at that finale.

Profile picture
    Carlo
    Topics:

Hader must win directing.

For actor I’m still torn…always rooted for Steve Martin for his best performance in decades..

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think any of the Martin’s winning depends on how their S2 material is (a la Aduba, Porter, Goldstein). Just from the trailers it seems like Short has the more overtly comedic/knee slapper performance.

Profile picture
    Voyage
    Topics:

Martin Short was the MVP of S1 and it seems like that’s gonna carry over to S2.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I don’t think Barry winning Series is unlikely when it has already won multiple industry awards from actors, writers and directors in the past. It’ll just come down to how much they love the show, and we know they do love it enough to be win competitive.

Voters are not going to reject it simply because it’s darker than its competition and less laugh out loud funny, even if they prefer it overall. Most people don’t vote like that. Comedy categories have been impacted the most after the tape system was abandoned. That era holds negligible importance in analysing trends now imo.

This feels somewhat similar to when people used Maisel being an hour long dramedy against it because Ally McBeal was the last (and only) hour long dramedy to win in the past, without factoring in the completely different system and voter mindset these days.

Also agree with the point that the cloying saccharine quality of the last two winners works for, rather than against, Barry.  It does feel like people want to move past all that and the latter certainly gives them the bite that the former two didn’t.

Other award bodies have already gone with shows that are very different  from your typical comedy winners. This feels like a great opportunity for the Emmys to move in that direction in a major way, and that’s gonna happen sooner rather than later.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Also agree with the point that the cloying saccharine quality of the last two winners works for, rather than against, Barry.  It does feel like people want to move past all that and the latter certainly gives them the bite that the former two didn’t.

I agree that there may be people wanting to move past it, I just think it seems like a bit of a jump, though I 110% agree a show that’s won before can certainly win again.

I also don’t really get the whole anti Ted Lasso rhetoric, it feels like something people who don’t like that style of comedy are latching on to, and I say this as someone whose sensibilities are honestly not really either (my personal picks would be a combo of multiple shows at this point, including both Ted Lasso and Barry).

Profile picture
    agorretta
    Topics:

Aside from last night’s killer finale, Barry is one of the only shows competing in these categories that consistently makes me laugh out loud.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Sarah Goldberg was amazing this season I think she could win.

Profile picture
    Yves Wearn
    Topics:

Aside from last night’s killer finale, Barry is one of the only shows competing in these categories that consistently makes me laugh out loud.

Same

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I kind of feel like the argument that a show is too dark to win series is a bit baseless. If a voter thinks that Barry is the most deserving show of a series win they’re not going to sit down and say “actually whilst this show is the best show I’ve seen this year, I’m not going to vote for it because it’s too dark”. Emmy voters are not only not as conscious about genre placement as other bodies are but they’ve already awarded shows with dark and dramatic undertones under this system. Transparent won four ATL Emmys, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel swept, Fleabag (a tragicomedy about grief) swept, hell even Hacks isn’t the lightest of shows and it almost won comedy series last year.

I’m not currently predicting Barry to win series (I want to see how the nominations turn out first for multiple shows here) but between season 3’s overall buzz and how it’s already proven itself to have a strong Emmy track record with its last two seasons  (it was arguably the runner up in 2018 and 2019, has 3 acting Emmys, 2 DGA and a WGA win etc) which was under a television landscape that had a much tighter definition of what is and it’s a comedy, the potential is there.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

I’ll predict Henry Winkler to get his second win after that finale and I think Sarah Goldberg stands a very good chance too. Goldstein from Ted Lasso had a strong season 2 but we have to remember that he only won last year due to weak competition, we’re yet to see how he does against Winkler and Shalhoub.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way we felt so lucky to have Hannah Einbinder and Alex Borstein in the races in 2020 and 2021 to provide some form of competition to Hannah Waddingham and Annie Murphy and now we could plausibly end up with a comedy supporting actress lineup where all 8 of the nominees are win competitive lol. It’s mental.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Onion
    Topics:

The way we felt so lucky to have Hannah Einbinder and Alex Borstein in the races in 2020 and 2021 to provide some form of competition to Hannah Waddingham and Annie Murphy and now we could plausibly end up with a comedy supporting actress lineup where all 8 of the nominees are win competitive lol. It’s mental.

We’re allowed to dream that this will happen now only for them to crush our dreams by nominating 3 SNL actresses again. 💀

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.