Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 11)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Manav
kat_ebbs
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

“And Just Like That” (HBO Max) 

No. (Case in point, a much better reboot season of Will & Grace missed.)

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

and that was with it being NBC #1 pony that year, is AJLT… even in HBO’s top ten comedy priorities?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

if submitted for her tiny appearance, i could see maya getting in again. they gave claire foy a cameo emmy win.

Cherry Jones too!

Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

Disney has moved Hawkeye, Jeremy Renner, Hailee Steinfeld, etc. over to the comedy categories.

ugh i wish Florence Pugh was guest eligible

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Was just looking at the Netflix FYC site and realized Sex Education isn’t even there anymore? Have they decided not to submit it? Anyone know if it’s a glitch, or if something else is going on?

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I think they’re submitting it to the International Emmys instead.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

That makes sense. Well I hope they can get it nominated! The Emmys snubbing it twice over was criminal.

Though it is a little funny that it bounced from being forced into Drama, switching to Comedy, and then not even being submitted at all. Watch season 4 be an anthology and get submitted in Limited.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If Hacks is taking series and actress I really struggle to see how Hannah Einbinder doesn’t come along for the ride after that finale. This race aside it’s almost impossible to not think about Ava as a character (and in part Einbinder’s characterisation) once you finish the season and if Hacks ends up having strong enough momentum to go all the way, she should be able to come along for the ride just like the last three winners in this category did. It helps her that consensus is split amongst the Ted Lasso and Abbott Elementary women and that Borstein, Goldberg and McKinnon all have greater hurdles than advantages.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Didn’t Sex Education try submitting in drama in the first season too? I feel like I remember them doing something silly like that.

It’s unfortunately missed its chance at the Emmys which is too bad since it’s better than half of the nominees and even the winners of some years in my opinion.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

When Orange is the New Black was nominated in comedy for its first season (which if I’m not mistaken generated a fair amount of controversy at the time) the TV Academy put in a mechanism that required every 45 minute/hour long piece that wanted to submit in comedy and every half hour that wanted to submit in drama to petition. Sex Education was originally being submitted in comedy by Netflix for its first season but due to being an hour long show had to petition but the Television Academy rejected its petition and so it competed in drama for its first season (Netflix later appealed which hence got it moved back into comedy from its second season onwards). Other shows were also moved when that mechanism was still in place (it was abolished for this awards cycle) including On Becoming a God in Central Florida which I found kind of shocking when I saw it recently because I found it much more comedic than a lot of these top contenders from these last three years.

I wonder had they kept the mechanism in place if shows like Julia and Somebody Somewhere would have been moved to drama.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

On Becoming a God in Central Florida was such an under watched and underrated gem. It had two win worthy performances in season one but no shot at a nomination. One of the bigger COVID cancellations.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It had two win worthy performances in season one but no shot at a nomination.

It had two win worthy performances in that pilot alone!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So now the television cycle has wrapped up if you guys could choose 5 comedy performances you’ve seen from this cycle from performers who have never been nominated before that you would like to see get nominated this year, who would you nominate?

My picks:

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

“Hacks” and “Barry” have done a good job of accumulating the end of season buzz that should sufficiently challenge the season-long frontrunner status for “Ted Lasso.” Right now, I would say that I can see “Hacks” taking Series, Actress, Supporting Actress and Writing, “Barry” taking Actor and Directing, and “Ted Lasso” taking Supporting Actor. Unless “Ted Lasso” season 3 drops during voting (feels like we would have some indication by now if that were the case) or “OMITB” airing in the summer lends it any momentum, I can certainly see the main categories being split among those three shows, with “Abbott Elementary” sneaking a win in Actress or Writing as the only other major threat.

Profile picture
    Allan Veríssimo
    Topics:

(Honorable mentions to Hailee Steinfeld, John Cena, Jake Johnson and Amy Ryan)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.