Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 513 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

So I have a question for everyone then. Who is everyone giving their 7th slot to if there is a tie? Or better yet, who are you still leaving out?

1. Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
    2. Bill Hader, Barry
    3. Steve Martin, Only Murders In The Building
    4. Martin Short, Only Murders In The Building
    5. Anthony Anderson, Black-ish
    6. Donald Glover, Atlanta
    (Past winner, face of the show, never missed, voters have liked the shownso far)

———

7. Nicholas Hoult, The Great
    (missed SAG to Michael Douglas which was a red flag)

8. Don Cheadle, Black Monday
    (If he happens, congrats to those who predicted him)

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Weirdly enough I feel more and more confident in Atlanta getting into series even though I feel less and less confident about it getting anything else above the line. It still feels respected and important enough in this television climate for voters to check it off even if they’re not checking individual aspects of it (like the performances off) and usually in fields like this it’s either the established perennial favourite or a breakout show of the season that grabs those last two slots and I feel like it fits the former profile to a tee (as does Curb Your Enthusiasm, Russian Doll and even The Flight Attendant to an extent although I’d be lying if I said I was confident in any of those shows in my series predictions). Whilst they are of course different awards bodies voted on by different people it’s worth mentioning that even though Atlanta under-performed with the TCA this time round they still nominated it for outstanding achievement in comedy when they could have gone with say the equally acclaimed third season of What We Do in the Shadows.

I also haven’t seen it doing too much FYC promotion or buzz outside of Squid Game but maybe that’s just me.

Personally speaking I’ve seen a lot of FYC stuff from Netflix about Russian Doll (Lyonne was on the front cover of THR and Variety during the voting period and hosted the season finale of SNL, they’ve had multiple high profile FYC events for it). Definitely nowhere near as much as Squid Game but much moreso than Ozark and Stranger Things in which I’ve not really seen any FYC promotion for (outside of articles from pundits about their awards chances and a billboard and a tweet here and there).

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

Personally speaking I’ve seen a lot of FYC stuff from Netflix about Russian Doll (Lyonne was on the front cover of THR and Variety during the voting period and hosted the season finale of SNL, they’ve had multiple high profile FYC events for it).

My honest opinions on the Netflix chances in order

Russian Doll (still well FYCd / auteur, but not necessarily well seen)

The Chair (has the SAG precursor with Oh)

Grace and Frankie (extremely well orchestrated final season promo and good numbers)

Cobra Kai (I think they know that was lucky circumstances)

Emily in Paris (wisely just shooting for BTLs)

everything else

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I just watched the GD Comedy Slugfest and three of the four guys are predicting John Cena.

I don’t think they’d go for Cena but I am very much on record saying that show and the physical comedy performance are better than they have any right or need to be (I also think it is the comic book show of the round – better than any of the Marvel series I’ve either fully or partially seen  this year).

Is anyone predicting him? He’s relatively high in the odds (11th) despite a lack of anyone on the boards predicting him.

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

I’m doing Cheadle for the 6th slot personally. He’s been nominated for both seasons so far and after he got namechecked for a 1 minute cameo in a show that was otherwise a non-factor, I don’t really wanna underestimate the love voters have for him.

Quinta Brunson 1st and 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Bill Hader 4th, 5th and 6th emmy campaign manager
    Jeremy Strong 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Zendaya 2nd and 3rd emmy campaign manager

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Cheadle and Anderson are the reason I think Hoult could get miss out even if I prefer his performance over the others theoretically ahead of him.

It is interesting though that most people seem to have the same 8. Which makes me think we have a blindspot and someone like Larry David or John Cena or someone I am not even considering could sneak in.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Russian Doll and Lyonne are doing way more FYC promo than anyone else I follow.

Second would be Adam Scott hustling for Severance.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

I think there’s an outside chance for one of the fringier HBO guys to get in here, they’ve had a good comedy year – David again, or Darby or Johnson. Cena I think gets in places that are populist/fringe-y (like Critics Choice Super/People’s Choice/Saturn).

prayer circleS for Rhys Darby! Although I do suspect half the people who predicted him may be ofmd fans cause they have him winning lol

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

A show I think people are dismissing too quickly is Cobra Kai, which not only got a PGA nomination earlier this year, but that nomination was also for Season 4 which is the season competing for a nomination at this year’s Emmys. I think it’s stronger than Russian Doll.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

I’m confident about my top 8 but I think Cobra Kai is the likeliest Netflix contender to make series if the voters wanna go that way. That PGA nom over WWDITS particularly stands out. It’s still popular and well liked and something the voters already went for in the past when unsure about who to pick for those bottom slots.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I’m confident about my top 8 but I think Cobra Kai is the likeliest Netflix contender to make series if the voters wanna go that way. That PGA nom over WWDITS particularly stands out. It’s still popular and well liked and something the voters already went for in the past when unsure about who to pick for those bottom slots.

I think if Cobra Kai does get in I feel it’ll just be a series only though – I feel like if the leads were going to get in, last year was their chance.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

1. Ted Lasso
    2. Hacks
    3. Barry
    4. Abbott Elementary
    5. Only Murders in the Building
    6. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    7. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    8. Atlanta
    9. Cobra Kai
    10. What We Do in the Shadows
    11. The Great
    12. Russian Doll
    13. The Flight Attendant

(I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see any of the bottom five get in.)

WWDITS feels very similar to Parks and Rec to me. It’s a writers favorite with a VERY passionate younger-skewing audience that is always vaguely “around” in awards talk but struggles to collect actor support and fades in and out of nomination fields depending on the year.

After hearing the Killing Eve comparisons to The Flight Attendant I’m more convinced of its chances, especially seeing as how it was one of only three shows to hit acting, writing, and directing last year, but it just doesn’t seem to have the fanbase KE did. Season two seemed to be something that just got lost in the onslaught of spring content, even people who enjoyed season one left it behind in favor of bigger, buzzier shows.

Russian Doll is similar. It performed very well BTL last time, but if anyone was going to shower it with nods it would’ve been TCA, so its shutout there is a very bad sign.

The very scattered nature of the field makes me even more confident in Curb. When in doubt, the Emmys fall back on old favorites, and its PGA and WGA nods prove it’s not getting left behind anytime soon.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

LOCKS
    1. Ted Lasso
    2. Hacks
    3. Barry

ALMOST LOCKS
    4. Only Murders In The Building
    5. Abbott Elementary

VERY SAFE
    6. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

ANYONE’S GUESS
    7. Atlanta
    8. Black-ish

———

9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    10. The Flight Attendant
    11. The Great
    12. Insecure
    13. Russian Doll
    14. What We Do In The Shadows
    15. Cobra Kai

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

1. Ted Lasso
    2. Hacks
    3. Barry
    4. Only Murders in the Building
    5. Abbott Elementary
    6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

7. Atlanta
    8. Ghosts

9. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    10. Cobra Kai
    11. What We Do in the Shadows

12. The Flight Attendant
    13. black-ish
    14. Russian Doll
    15. Reservation Dogs

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

After hearing the Killing Eve comparisons to The Flight Attendant I’m more convinced of its chances, especially seeing as how it was one of only three shows to hit acting, writing, and directing last year, but it just doesn’t seem to have the fanbase KE did. Season two seemed to be something that just got lost in the onslaught of spring content, even people who enjoyed season one left it behind in favor of bigger, buzzier shows.

Killing Eve was a way bigger deal in the first two seasons than Flight Attendant has remotely even come close to sniffing for sure. The only thing they have in common is they both overperformed because there was a severe dearth in competition. I’d be shocked if anyone besides Cuoco got in and I am not even predicting her. I know people are saying her performance was great and maybe it is but I don’t know how many people stuck around long enough for it to get to that point. I watched episodes 1 & 2 and while she was fine there was nothing particularly special about it and I have a feeling a lot of people might have given up early on before she got the baitier material. Just a hunch though. Might just be myopia.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.