Home Forums Television Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 513 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
probablyROB
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Agreed with victor’s statement although the similar texts have been used to contradict arguments of others that shows haven’t premiered.

Anyways, somewhat of a hypocritic forum esp wrt to this particular quote.
    Going away from here for good. I wish there was a way to deactivate accounts.

I didn’t mean to “drag” you in any way, i was just making a point different from your pov.
    I’m sorry if it came off the wrong way.

FYC:

All things Succession, Severance, Ted Lasso, The Great and The White Lotus! Also, Colin Firth and Janelle James while you're at it.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Abbott also has a serious leg up because it hit the ground running. Parks and Rec’s first season was badly received, and most people would agree it didn’t really reach its full potential until season 3 with the departure of Mark and arrival of Scott and Lowe, so it had an uphill battle with getting back viewers who might’ve already written off the show because they disliked season one. Abbott doesn’t have that problem. Not saying it’s as good as it’ll ever get, because I think it’s still growing into itself as most shows do, but it doesn’t have to try to win anyone over for a second time.

I also think that it’s worth mentioning how different the television landscapes Parks and Rec and Abbott Elementary have aired and competed in were. Parks and Rec was on air during the era that kicked off the trend of the mockumentary sitcom format with it airing concurrent to Modern Family and The Office. That mockumentary format has not really been a mainstay on TV in this form since the advent of streaming and those aforementioned shows (ironically thanks to garnering a second round of popularity on streaming services) are now seen through nostalgic lenses and I think Abbott’s resurrection of that format (during an era of television in which broadcast networks are facing an existential crisis) has only really helped to increase that nostalgia from people who used to work on these mockumentary sitcoms or have found comfort in them at some point in their lives.

Adam Scott said to Quinta Brunson during their Actors on Actors session that part of what he liked about Abbott Elementary was how committed the show’s ensemble was and how you could tell they were having a lot of fun making the show which reminded him of his time on Parks. The extents to which voters take to the show obviously remain to be seen but I don’t think his sentiment is one that isn’t shared by others in the industry.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Yeah, I definitely wasn’t saying it was an exact comparison. Just closer to Parks than the other auteur led TV shows that people keep wanting to compare Abbott to for no reason other than that.

In 2012 Parks was nominated for 4 Emmys,3 ATL including Poehler in lead actress and writing.

I don’t think Abbott will perform significantly better than that really. Probably series and supporting actress too. It’s a reasonable expectation and that’s nothing to scoff at. That’s still overperforming from my perspective.

Another thing being overlooked is that Parks competed when there were 6 series and supporting nominees and I think there’s a legitimate shot they would have garnered a few more nominations in expanded fields that I do believe Abbott is going to benefit from.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Yeah, I definitely wasn’t saying it was an exact comparison. Just closer to Parks than the other auteur led TV shows that people keep wanting to compare Abbott to for no reason other than that.

No worries. I wasn’t trying to say the comparison was invalid (I do think it’s fair for example to compare the breakout hype that Amy Poehler and Quinta Brunson had) and I do appreciate that most comparisons aren’t really exact ones.

What I will say about when I said that it felt like Brunson has been the auteur of the year as was the case with Coel, PWB and Glover in recent years is that it was less a comparison of Abbott to those shows but rather of the hype around those auteurs. I don’t really know how to put it into words but I felt like there’s a sort of “cool” sentiment that surrounds Brunson’s hype just like there was with those aforementioned auteurs (and writer-performers like Natasha Lyonne, Dan Levy, Bill Hader etc) during the breakout of their shows and sometimes that translates to the programme? Granted just like with Schitt’s Creek people aren’t only watching and enjoying Abbott Elementary because of their creator’s work on it but I do think there is an appreciation of what the auteur’s of these shows have achieved. Abbott Elementary may not be as groundbreaking as a series as say I May Destroy You or Barry but it has reinvigorated a dying form of television by bringing it into the 2020s and has really added some diversity that the format has lacked historically (by this I don’t necessarily mean racial diversity but rather by giving its own spin to a format that has been popularised through stories set in the world of office spaces and workplaces that tend to be led by characters who are very white and middle class) and I think there’s an appreciation for how Brunson has executed that. Be through her performance or her work as a show runner.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

FWIW, my reply wasn’t directed at you but more the highly upvoted replies on page 11. I was just too lazy to click back to their page to quote either of them and reply.

I just think the auteur led show thing has its limitations, especially when the show they produced also had more limitations than the other shows people keep trying to compare it to. Parks and Rec is actually a pretty generous comparison from my perspective.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Abbott could easily win Series if it takes Casting and Writing. Janelle James has enough passion and momentum for a surprise win in Supporting Actress. All of that, makes it a great contender.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but to me Abbott is the one who will beat Ted Lasso, not Barry or Hacks. I really feel people are overstimating both of them.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Took Glover and Lyonne out for Hoult and Fanning. Let’s see how I messed it up on nomination day.

Welcome to the club

Emmy FYC:

Better Call Saul in all categories.

Especially Rhea Seehorn, Bob Odenkirk, Writing, Drama Series.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

I just think the auteur led show thing has its limitations, especially when the show they produced also had more limitations than the other shows people keep trying to compare it to.

You took the words right out of my mouth here. I think Quinta will be fine, but I agree that it only takes you so far. I’d also point out that there probably isn’t a huge amount of urgency with going big on Abbott, with those ratings it’s probably safe until at least season 3. PWB and Coel that was their only chance, for instance.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

All this Parks and Rec talk is making me think Adam Scott will get his overdue dues for saving that show with Lowe. I started rewatching the other day, and those two brought the absolute chef kiss. Wrong thread I know, but goodwill and hindsight come late to the TV Academy. Pairing Quinta and Scott together was such a great idea. Having said that, if she gets a guest nod for her short and unfunny appearance in ABLSS, it will be massively undeserved but prove that she has namecheck credentials.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

On the contrary though it wasn’t Donald Glover’s only chance in 2017 or Bill Hader’s only chance in 2018.

Also true. But I don’t think Abbott’s going to do as well as a lot of people, and I really enjoyed it and will continue watching it. I am mostly basing that on the opinion of people I know in real life or away from this board, though, so it might be my bubble.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

All this Parks and Rec talk is making me think Adam Scott will get his overdue dues for saving that show with Lowe

He was so good on Parks and Rec. I rewatched it not long before Severance. He really should have been nominated.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

On the contrary though it wasn’t Donald Glover’s only chance in 2017 or Bill Hader’s only chance in 2018.

Those were extremely groundbreaking and ambitious shows, though. Pretty much every single one of the people everyone keeps trying to compare her to did something with the form that felt fresh and inventive. Abbott is the opposite, basically an homage to a style that isn’t as long dead as some are acting. It’s very classic and maybe the nostalgia plays to its favor. Imo, the strength of it is that it is unpretentious. But awards themselves tend to lean more towards pretentious than not.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

Also true. But I don’t think Abbott’s going to do as well as a lot of people, and I really enjoyed it and will continue watching it. I am mostly basing that on the opinion of people I know in real life or away from this board, though, so it might be my bubble.

Kat, I reckon it’s an American thing. I think it’s a bit twee and contrived for our palates.

Bill Hader and Barry in everything (2 babka)
    The Great - Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult and comedy writing and directing

Severance in drama series, writing, Adam Scott for best actor, Ben Stiller for drama directing, and the whole cast in supporting.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

He was so good on Parks and Rec. I rewatched it not long before Severance. He really should have been nominated.

If I recall, he was often in the top 6 for season 3 and beyond in the prediction center. I’m glad he’s finally getting his due. The TCA nod was huge in my opinion.

Profile picture
    probablyROB
    Topics:

Kat, I reckon it’s an American thing. I think it’s a bit twee and contrived for our palates.

I’m American and probably one of the shows biggest detractors on this board. Or at least it feels like it sometimes. Then again, I’ve been petitioning Danish people to switch lives with me but none of them seem to want to be American. It’s my only shot of ever moving to Copenhagen, though.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Emmys 2022 Predictions: Comedy Categories (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.